Is pink tweed ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by antikantian, Aug 28, 2011.

1. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I just think the money could be better spent on any number of different sport coats or clothing items. Lets remember thats a Huntsman on a form its probably the best that tweed pattern could ever look.

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I see this as a blatant GTH jacket. While I personally love GTH items and employ them regularly, they probably shouldn't be staples in your wardrobe unless the biggest concern of your day is outdoing your friends at Yacht Club cocktails. As Mr. Reeves has stated above, unless you are either stocked to the gills with staple SCs or exceedingly wealthy and can afford to buy things like this just to tell people to eff off, it probably is not something worth purchasing.

However, if you do purchase it and then find you'd like to get rid of it for 50-80% off please let me know. I have Yacht cocktails coming up ;).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

3. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

It reminds me of somethig gene rayburn would have worn on match game, the coloring and style or it seems a bit dated and it is so loud I do not know much it could worn with that would look good.

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

I like that jacket because you will never see yourself walking down the street.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Because you go blind wearing it?

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

This jacket could only work on someone who can walk into a room, command the room, and not be afraid to exemplify a "fuck you" look. For anyone who is overly conservative, timid, or otherwise shy, this will be a massive train wreck.

I like it, but would not buy it as I personally would not get my money's worth out of it. OP, if you can easily afford it and know that you're only going to be able to pull it off at max 10-15 times per year, go for it IF you have the personality for it.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:slayer:

8. antikantian

antikantian Senior member

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. If I decide to have this made, I was thinking of the lighter solid pink mix from H&S. Either way, maybe I'll start off with some pink pants to test the waters before I go for a bespoke pink tweed jacket. I was envisioning this as maybe a once-a-month jacket at most, definitely not a staple. I'm generally in a context where I can wear pretty much anything I want, and I think this could work if I have a sense of humor about it, but at the same time I agree that it'll be a train wreck if I come off as self-conscious about my choices.

You must be one of those neo-Kantians, since I don't think Kant himself would have worn pink tweed :rotflmao:

9. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

that huntsman is boss-tits

10. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Seems to me to be an unneeded hybrid. In warmer weather, I wear pastel jackets (but not tweeds). In cooler weather, I wear tweed jackets (but not pastels). I have no problem with a pastel as an accent color in a jacket, or even a pastel shirt, tie, or pocket square worn with an obviously F/W look. But, a bright pink tweed is beyond a GTH look; it's a WTHWHT (What The Hell Was He Thinking?) look.

There is a reason for that.

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Yeah, I'm the kind of Kantian that most other Kantians would not recognize as a member in good standing!

Speaking from experience, if you want to wear pink you've really got to commit to it. You will feel the stares of other people (or else you will imagine those stares; it's hard to tell the difference) but you've got to carry yourself as if pink pants or a pink SC are the most natural things in the world. Eventually it'll actually feel that way.

Also--and this probably goes without saying--you will almost certainly have to deal with some half-wits making smart-ass comments about your being gay. (And they probably won't say "gay.")

12. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Yes. Note that H&S sells some decidedly feminine cloths for the women's bespoke trade.

13. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Good point. I own more pink shirts than I probably should, but I'm fairly sure I would only feel slightly less self-conscious wearing pink pants than walking around naked.

14. NORE

NORE Senior member

No. Because not too many others have the ballz to pull it off.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Our friend RSS will pull it off without problem.