• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chickendipper

Reaction score
Hello there,

Im looking for a bit of help.
I have reacently brought a pair of suede chelsea boots but after brushing them there are long peices of nap coming out of the suede that looks like long bits of thin thread.

Has any one else had this problem with suede and what is the best way of getting rid of these bits without damaging the boots?
I was thinking running a lighter flame over them but wasnt sure if that would just ruin them.

Thanks for any help in advance

Kind regards
Luke

Chickendipper

Reaction score
16331596944141768423038109735459.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I brought up this issue to @ntempleman, a bespoke shoemaker. He said that you can burn off the hairs with a lighter.

In the last couple of years, I've noticed that more of these types of suede shoes pop up on eBay. Meaning, suede shoes that look like the hairs are coming apart. My impression is that people are learning shoe care techniques online, buying various supplies, and then just being a little too overeager with "caring" for their shoes. I've never had suede develop like this on me, and I've never really seen this type of stuff on eBay until the last few years. I could be wrong, but my impression is that it's related to the rise of "dress shoe culture" online.

FWIW, I only spray my suede shoes with a waterproofer, and then brush them maybe once every three or four years. It happens very rarely. IME, you don't need to do much to care for your shoes. Suede seems especially low maintenance since you don't even have to polish them.

Last edited:

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brought up this issue to @ntempleman, a bespoke shoemaker. He said that you can burn off the hairs with a lighter.

In the last couple of years, I've noticed that more of these types of suede shoes pop up on eBay. Meaning, suede shoes that look like the hairs are coming apart. My impression is that people are learning shoe care techniques online, buying various supplies, and then just being a little too overeager with "caring" for their shoes. I've never had suede develop like this on me, and I've never really seen this type of stuff on eBay until the last few years. I could be wrong, but my impression is that it's related to the rise of "dress shoe culture" online.

FWIW, I only spray my suede shoes with a waterproofer, and then brush them maybe once every three or four years. It happens very rarely. IME, you don't need to do much to care for your shoes. Suede seems especially low maintenance since you don't even have to polish them.
You are probably not wearing them more frequently to brush them every three to four years. Suede is tough but my suede boots go through tougher terrain in inclement weather to be only brushed once every three or four years. I brush them, spray them with waterproof spray and do wash them with suede shampoo. Brushing almost after every use, washing and waterproof spray at least once or twice every season.

It all depends upon the amount and type of use the suede footwear goes through to determine the frequency of cleaning and maintenance

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not ruined. In the future, use a nylon bristled brush. It’s gentler and will give the desired result.

the crepe eraser is good if you have a stain you want to remove. Use a nanoprotector to repel future liquids and fluid which may affect it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are probably not wearing them more frequently to brush them every three to four years. Suede is tough but my suede boots go through tougher terrain in inclement weather to be only brushed once every three or four years. I brush them, spray them with waterproof spray and do wash them with suede shampoo. Brushing almost after every use, washing and waterproof spray at least once or twice every season.

It all depends upon the amount and type of use the suede footwear goes through to determine the frequency of cleaning and maintenance

I think I just don't engage in those maintenance routines as much as other members. I use leather conditioner on calfskin maybe once every three to five years. I polish maybe once every two or three years. Have some shoes that are ten years old that have never seen conditioner.

When I lived in Moscow, I had a much smaller rotation of shoes, and got through winters in suede and country grain boots. I used leather conditioner there with a cloth, and had a can of suede waterproofer. But I never polished or did anything else there. No brushes, polishes, waxes, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads