• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is my jacket too long

jergensCsquad

Reaction score
I know I posted in the tailor's thread. I'm interested in getting some more opinions as a I'm not sure what to make of the fit. The suit is a Suitsupply Sienna in 42L. "A Tailor" thought it looked about 1.25-1.5" too long. I called Suitsupply and they confirmed that the 42R is ~1" shorter. My problem is that I'm not convinced that what I have now is indeed too long, to me the proportions look fine. Maybe they would look better with a shorter jacket. Thanks for your opinion.

side note: no alteration have been made.

Last edited:

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length actually looks right on. The sleeves (especially the left) might need to be shorted slightly.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't get a good read from these pictures as they are very dark on my screen but the overall impression I get is everything looks too low on your body. Would shorten the body 1/2 to 1". Raise the pockets, raise the button 1/2" and shorten the sleeves, the left sleeve more than the right. From a different picture angle or in better lighting I may change my mind but that's what I see from these pictures. Would be great if you could try a regular and see yourself wearing both to compare.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, though not by a large amount. I think the changes Despos describes would make it look a lot better.

Last edited:

SpiffEngineer

Reaction score
I think Despos has some great comments, but I would be more concerned with the waist than overall length, because it looks to me like the jacket's waist is below your natural waist.

Snedley

Reaction score
It's fine. Just shorten the trousers so there's no break and pitch 3/4" to the back. Leave everything else alone and just wear it. After wearing it for awhile and you still think it needs some alteration then do it later, not before wearing it. And by alteration I mean something very minor.If you follow the advice of many of the people on here you'll end up ruining the suit and spending a lot of money to do it.

jergensCsquad

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered the 42R today. I'll post some pictures once it arrives, hopefully by next week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads