• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Limewire the best music downloading site?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
i need to get your soulseek name to browse your files. i still have about 60% of my music on my external hard drive on not viewable on soulseek though.

I don't use it much anymore since the Mac version is too Baroque for me to understand.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Keeping one's ratio above 1.0 on OiNK was pretty easy--you just piggyback the most active recent releases and gain a ton of ratio as a result.

Also, like MetroStyles said: waffles if you got the hookup, Demonoid if you don't. None of this P2P stuff, people!

More on waffles (for those who don't know): it's the "spiritual successor" to OiNK, the big Torrent site with servers in the Netherlands that got shut down for allegedly selling music to users (incorrect, btw). Invites are much harder to come by as the site's (relatively) new.

I had a ratio >2 with over 40GB uploaded on OiNK btw, waffles users...just saying...

I'd give you an invite to Waffles but I haven't had one available for years. Can never seem to get my ratio above 1 there. I'm not really trying that hard though.

You know what's damn easy to get your ratio up on? Appreciation torrent sites.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I miss the Kazaa Lite days.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I miss the Kazaa Lite days.

I hate to hate, but Kazaa sucked too.

This is the modern chronology of best-in-class music downloading platforms:

1) Napster
2) Audiogalaxy (it was amazing before it died in 2002)
3) DirectConnect (DC++)
4) Oink (HALLELUJAH!!!)
5) Waffles (Oink the Second)

Kazaa was like the fall-back if you really just needed one popular Britney song. For full, tagged, rarer albums, the dark ages of 2002-2005 required some sleuthing on DC. SoulSeek was decent, but it never neared the usefulness (and speed) of these other programs (for non-mainstream material).

Ever since the music nazis as Oink instated a "full tags, only high bitrate album rips" policy, the music -downloading world has been that much happier.

aerether

Reaction score
Also, like MetroStyles said: waffles if you got the hookup, Demonoid if you don't. None of this P2P stuff, people!

I've downloaded many things off SoulSeek that I couldn't find on waffles or what. And I've even found some unique stuff off of a few google searches as well. Don't discount any particular method of music acquisition as each has its strengths.

None of this P2P stuff, people!

Remember that even BitTorrent counts as P2P technology...?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think breakz was saying as a rule, stick to torrents for music. I agree that sometimes you have to go to other sources.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I think breakz was saying as a rule, stick to torrents for music. I agree that sometimes you have to go to other sources.

Yeah, sweeping generalizations are more fun than an open mind.
teacha.gif

Also, thanks for the offer re: waffles, Metro.

junthin

Reaction score
Torrent for mainstream stuff and usually it's in albums (otherwise low seed/share ratio). Ares for most everything else. (in albums or individual songs) And whatever you can't find on those two use: google. Search google with this type of search query: site:"popularfilesharingsite.com" "song title/song album/artist name here" i.e.: site:rapidshare.com jason mraz or use this search query: filetype:mp3 "song title/song album/artist name here" i.e.: filetype:mp3 jason mraz (This search string usually is best used with specific song titles vs other search terms) Of course, only do this if you own the CD or bought the DRM'ed version (itunes, emusic, etc) and forgot your password or something.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LabelKing and swap 2" reel-to-reel tapes, sent through the mail.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont knock reel-to-reel, **** is REAL!

I forgot about DirectConnect. I used that back in the day too. I liked it, it seemed like I would get more seeds for stuff I wanted on that than Bearshare or whatever else I used at the time (maybe Ares?).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads