• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is life too short for shoe trees?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why shoe trees are needed. The extra effort to effort to take them out and put them in each time you wear your shoes is not worth it. I would much rather just slip my feet in and out of the shoes without dealing with shoe trees.

What is the worst that can happen to shoes to without shoe trees? Walking in the shoes is brutal to them enough, it can't get much worse right?

grace2011

Reaction score
Besides, if they were so important wouldn't they make sneaker trees.
sarcasm.gif

fss

Reaction score
If you think putting in some shoe trees is too much of an effort shoe trees are not for you. However, decent shoe trees help maintain the original shoe shape, help prevent creases and cracking of the leather and absorb moisture from the lining of the shoes. Bottom line, trees help keeping your shoes last longer and look better.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP couldnt be more wrong. Trees extend the life of your shoes and keep their shape.

Go buy a pair of 1000$ shoes and wear them without trees for a few months. You've just spent a grand on a pair of bananas.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got 5 pair of trees more.

I love the pro feeling and the cedar smell out of my socks instead of rat smell as before
biggrin.gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 5 year old shoes that have always had cedar trees in them and they look and smell new.
Trees keep creases from forming.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasted shoe trees preserve the leather upper's shape (reducing creasing) and the sole's shape. Non-lasted trees preserve the shape of the sole.

Other effects are disputed, but that's enough reason for me to use trees. I don't want my shoes with the heel and toe pointed toward the sky.

ktrp

Reaction score
It probably depends how you treat your shoes, and what the point of failure that causes you to stop using them is.

If you have shoes that are not resoleable, and wear out the soles first, then maybe you're right.

If you never polish them and the leather splits first, you may be right (although perhaps trees would help creasing).

If your shoes fall apart from the inside or lose their shape, then shoes would have helped a lot.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Putting in and taking out shoe trees takes maybe 5 seconds per day. If your life is too short to spare 5 seconds to take care of your shoes then I would submit you have a serious life threatening medical condition and should see a health care professional immediately.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Use trees and polish your shoes at least semi-regularly and I guarantee you your shoes will be much more comfortable to wear. The moisture absorbing properties of unfinished cedar trees make a huge comfort difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics