• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it weird for a guy to take a model's photo to a new barber?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I do it all the time. Ive used the same guy for 10 years. if I do anything different, i take him a pic. I assume this is very normal. how else is he gonna know exactly what I want? I sure as hell would sound like a rittard trying to explain it.
laugh.gif

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not weird at all. And it'll ensure you get the cut you expected. The stylist will appreciate it as well, they want you to be happy. An ex GF who cut hair always mentioned how much easier it was to cut hair when she had a pic.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
putting up with weird conversation for 5 minutes and potentially weird dynamics for 1/2 hour while you get the cut.... versus walking around for 4-5 weeks with a cut you're not happy with.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 604Coast
Only if the model is nude.

I dunno...I get my hair cut in boys town...he might like that and give me a discount

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not weird at all. I think it is a good idea to make sure the barber/stylist knows what you want, and I've done it with the last 4 barbers I've had. Just make sure the picture you bring in is a relative match to your hair type and head/face shape.

604Coast

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I dunno...I get my hair cut in boys town...he might like that and give me a discount

Ah, touche.

nakokoro

Reaction score
nothing wrong at all, I do it all the time. Assuming the picture isn't offensive or offputting

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it often enough with barber's and female stylists. It's the easiest way to get across what you want done.

I usually take a blunt magic marker and scribble out the models face and cut from the shoulders up from the print. I'm not sure why, but this 10 sec picture prep helps me feel slightly less ****.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
It is not weird. I've done it before. However, I have yet to do it at my new place, which is very old school--playboys and all--so that might be weird.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to get a haircut next week and I'm going to take a picture, I might scribble out the face since its a picture of Elijah Wood.

Better than trying to explain it, especially when you don't know what the style is called like when I got a rat tail a few years ago!

ice86x

Reaction score
I always felt awkward doing this, but my hair is really versatile (is that even possible) and don't care what style I get

Roscius

Reaction score
Definitely not, much better than trying to describe what you want and he/she ends up ruining it. With a picture its more clear and you can work off it, and when your cut turns out ****, you can argue about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads