• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is It Possible to Narrow Trousers at the Ankles?

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I have a pair of suit trousers that have what I think are very wide at the ankles.

Is it possible for a tailor to narrow them? Is this a complex job or something simple like reducing waist or shortening jacket sleeve?

And while we are at it, what is generally agreed as the norm for the break?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I've never done it.

As for break, it varies so much that there's hardly a "norm." If anything it's too much... so many people walk around with their pants a baggy mess at their heels. Go with what you like. It's as much a personal preference as a ticket pocket. I myself like no break at all.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tapering trousers is no problem for a competent tailor. IMO, narrow bottoms look best with no break but it's a matter of personal preference.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ditto too it is a peice of cake for dress pants just trusting some1 to do it is not!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a credit card and a good tailor, anything is possible.

I personally prefer no break as well. For springwear, even having the pants a tiny bit too short if I'm feeling saucy.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
With a credit card and a good tailor, anything is possible.

I personally prefer no break as well. For springwear, even having the pants a tiny bit too short if I'm feeling saucy.

easy tiger!
lol8[1].gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
With a credit card and a good tailor, anything is possible. I personally prefer no break as well. For springwear, even having the pants a tiny bit too short if I'm feeling saucy.
I'm probably going to hem a few of my trousers that short as well. Very useful for hot weather, especially since I live in Florida.

Carey

Reaction score
if you go too narrow from the knee down, you will end up looking like a bowling pin. What is the drop as measured accross the width of the trouser at the knee and then at the hem? (Lay your trousers folded so the back and front creases make the left and right edges of the pant leg to be measured, then place them on a flat surface.)

A normal drop from knee to hem is about 1.5" for a more modern style of flat front trousers. I just measured a pair of MTM Samuelsohn odd trousers and a pair of RTW Ermengildo Zegna's. Both fit very differently, yet each has an inch-and-a-half drop.

I would suggest evaluating how your trousers fit you ********** and crotch. If they are full fitting, then narrowing may make them out of proportion. You could have them complete taken apart and remade, but is it really worth it? I bet you would be better served by purchasing a new pair. This is not a typical or easy alteration.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken-shite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads