• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to find an Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Wingtip

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get in touch with Adam. It's definitely the Longwing I'm looking for, I'm not really a loafer guy. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I presume "˜gherkin's' shoes were supplied from Adam Knox at
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/

just like the pair I have.

That Longwing shoe in whiskey shell cordovan is one of the original 'Fan shoes'; that's the name Adam uses for the shop's special orders: shoe in specifications that are not Alden's stock items but are made up for particular retailers at their request. Alden/Carmel carried that particular shoe for quite a few years, but have stopped it recently. That probably has something to do with the shortage of whiskey shell cordovan.

You might want to contact Alden/Carmel, maybe they can help you.

Alternatively, if it's the colour whiskey that you like, check out Citishoes, they offer the "˜Leisure Handsewn Moccasin' in that colour.
http://www.citishoes.com/pg16.htm

david809

Reaction score
Alden of Carmel has the whiskey shell cordovan longwing in stock, I received a pair last month. Keep your fingers crossed that he has your size.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Polo Darlton wingtip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alden longwing in Whiskey.

Such a better color. Plus it's not a longwing (i.e., it's not bludgeoningly 1950s Americana).

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are kidding!!? I struck out, Adam says:

"Thank you for your e-mail and appreciation of Alden shoes.

Unfortunately, that particular shoe has been discontinued,
and the factory isn't making any for our shop. We have no
idea if or when the factory will make more. And we aren't
taking any orders or reservations for them.

I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging."

Very sad, the first time I saw that shoe it spoke to me. Anybody have a pair in 13D they are tired of, drop me a PM
rimshot.gif

I sent an email directly to Alden, but I don't imagine that will end much differently. Well, I guess I'll look around other folks who can do it as a custom order, any recommendations other than Rider who are likely to be able to get lighter colored Shell Cordovan? I'll drop Rider an email early next week.

Originally Posted by david809
Alden of Carmel has the whiskey shell cordovan longwing in stock, I received a pair last month. Keep your fingers crossed that he has your size.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Darlton too, I'll keep an eye out for sales at RL on it, but something about that tan longwing really talks to me. I'm afraid we'll just have to just disagree on the color, and there's a lot to like about 1950s Americana. Seemed the right way to go for my first shell cordovan shoe.
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Polo Darlton wingtip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alden longwing in Whiskey. Such a better color. Plus it's not a longwing (i.e., it's not bludgeoningly 1950s Americana).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DrZRM, I recently had Rider make a longwing for me in scotch grain shell. The shoes are great, and a bit more sleek than my Alden longwings, which is nice. The wait was very reasonable. I'm sure if he has shell leather in Whiskey that he'll make a pair for you. He's great to work with.

I was fortunate to get my Whiskey longwings from Adam before he was out of the shoe. They're my favorites.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
They had whiskey longwings at the Alden store on Madison about three weeks ago, when I last went past.

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if its only Longwing in Tan colour (not cordovan), you may consider Florsheim imperials

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted this to be my first shell cordovan shoe, but if I can't find it, I'd think about another tan longwing. I really don't need any shoes right away. This may be my first chance to have the right shoe made, and I'll just wait it out. Though I'll call the Alden store in the AM.

Originally Posted by walneal
if its only Longwing in Tan colour (not cordovan), you may consider Florsheim imperials

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude you should go to Bobby's in the South End (Bobby from Boston). He has a ton of older shell cordovan shoes in large sizes for about $99 a pop. I saw a shoe exactly like the one you describe in brown shell in what felt like a 12C from Barrie Ltd. Lots of Barrie shell cordovan shoes seem to have found their way there, so you might have some luck. Cool store. Hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bagel here.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm there, hope they're open Saturday.

Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Dude you should go to Bobby's in the South End (Bobby from Boston). He has a ton of older shell cordovan shoes in large sizes for about $99 a pop. I saw a shoe exactly like the one you describe in brown shell in what felt like a 12C from Barrie Ltd. Lots of Barrie shell cordovan shoes seem to have found their way there, so you might have some luck. Cool store. Hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bagel here.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Plus it's not a longwing (i.e., it's not bludgeoningly 1950s Americana).

That's how not to say GUNBOATS right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads