• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is college really about learning?

StreetSmarts

Reaction score
I have to choose classes for next semester, and I am wondering: take classes to learn or take classes to maintain a high GPA. What do you say? Nowadays, companies are only selecting the best of the best. Although your GPA isn't exactly representational about what you know, if thats what they look at, then isn't that what only matters? But then there is self-satisfaction involved. Did you enroll in college to learn or to just be able to earn a job? Not to say you cant take difficult classes and still earn a high GPA, but there is risk involved...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only way you can have the best of both worlds is to:

a) pad your GPA
b) take P/F courses or audit on the side for the really tough stuff you are interested in

Even in this case you're spreading yourself too thin and likely won't get as much out of it. It is sad but as someone who screens resumes and candidates, I can say without a doubt that GPA is quite important. This is unfortunate, as I BSed my way to a good one and took some courses I otherwise would not have.

The real point of college is to have a good time and enjoy yourself though. Trust all of us, it doesn't get any better when you start working.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowadays, companies are only selecting the best of the best.

if you are implying that GPA = best, then no, this just isnt the case. The facebook group titled, "too smart for a 3.0, too much fun for a 4.0" basically explains my situation (this is before i dropped fb). I have a great job that started as an internship and has massive long-term potential. there is much, much more to landing a good job other than a 4.0

keep in mind i am a student at a state school, so i may have a slightly different perspective than others. im an economics major and have never regretted taking the "easy" professor for english/bio, where an "a" is easily attainable.
i have been extremely selective about who i have taken for business classes. i really wanted to get a great education in the subjects that interest me. i would think most universities have professors (in my experience, PhD profs are basically necessary) that are great instructors and really know their stuff.

anyway, the majority of learning is a product of the student; its best not to let the min requirements of good grades be a ceiling to the amount of effort you put into a subject

EDIT: metro (sounds very cliche but), is it safe to say that a gpa can be a deal breaker but rarely a deal maker?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
EDIT: metro (sounds very cliche but), is it safe to say that a gpa can be a deal breaker but rarely a deal maker?
Well a 4.0 GPA from an Ivy will always raise some eyebrows in a good way, but it will not be enough. On the other hand, a 3.3 is usually grounds for the waste basket - unless it is a difficult engineering major and the person reviewing your resume just so happens to know that about the school you go to. It's really tough to judge candidates by a resume. Case interviews are usually the best judge, but to be honest, this secretly depresses me because I suck at them. I much prefer marketing myself via nice resume and smooth canned replies in an interview. This is because I have nearly zero quantifiable skills as a consultant, though I wouldn't say my experience has been wasted.

kruze

Reaction score
Dont focus on gpa. Focus on studying [which will equate to a good gpa], meeting chicks, and getting a good internship jr or sr year.

StreetSmarts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Well a 4.0 GPA from an Ivy will always raise some eyebrows in a good way, but it will not be enough. On the other hand, a 3.3 is usually grounds for the waste basket - unless it is a difficult engineering major and the person reviewing your resume just so happens to know that about the school you go to.

It's really tough to judge candidates by a resume. Case interviews are usually the best judge, but to be honest, this secretly depresses me because I suck at them. I much prefer marketing myself via nice resume and smooth canned replies in an interview. This is because I have nearly zero quantifiable skills as a consultant, though I wouldn't say my experience has been wasted.

How do you view someone who started their own club at a school?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts
How do you view someone who started their own club at a school?

Depends on the club. It is usually a big plus, but sometimes you can tell they are just a huge tool trying to pad the resume. I was one of these but no one saw through my scheme.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be the guy who games all his courses in order to leave college with +.2 points on his GPA. Nothing could be lamer. Just the professors with a reputation for teaching and try to better yourself.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol my buddy founded a spanish speaking interest group club thing and after a couple of years it has over 150 members. i dont know if he just fails at marketing himself but he says that it has been a complete waste of time in terms of post-grad employment.

hes still very involved even though hes graduated, and still thinks of it as a very enjoyable endeavor. starting a club shouldnt be about finding a job later on...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads