• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is college really about learning?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Uh...you sure about that?
Lots of jobs will set hard arbitrary GPA cut offs. Some even check test scores (e.g. they want your GMAT scores).

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Lots of jobs will set hard arbitrary GPA cut offs.

Some even check test scores (e.g. they want your GMAT scores).

Dude it's worse than GMAT. Some companies check SAT scores! Mine included.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Dude it's worse than GMAT. Some companies check SAT scores! Mine included.

Seriously? Where are the SAT cut offs?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy - take courses in topics you really want to study. I really don't understand how someone can do too terribly studying a topic that they're really interested in studying.

My view is that the cream rises to the top in anything. Sooner or later, employers will figure out that the people they hired are just dumbshits who took the easy classes in college.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously? Where are the SAT cut offs?

Need to be decent with numbers so 700 math. Also low verbal scores (<600) is a warning sign. Again, this is just how I've seen other people look at it. It's not necessarily my view.

Originally Posted by odoreater
My view is that the cream rises to the top in anything. Sooner or later, employers will figure out that the people they hired are just dumbshits who took the easy classes in college.

Not necessarily. Promotions are often given to people who play the politics better than those who have the best ability (to a certain degree - you obviously need some ability as well). Regardless of what you view as fair or right, for any given individual it makes sense to maximize their earning potential / chance of getting the job they want. It isn't to make sure a corporation's recruiting class is optimized.

Also, you make the assumption that people who go the "easy class" route are dumbshits. Not really. I am pretty smart compared to the average Joe and I did it. I know other smart people who did it too. Why not get a 3.7 if you would otherwise get a 3.4? Why not get a 4.0 if you would otherwise get a 3.7? It is relative, not absolute. Both smart and dumb people utilize this strategy.

I get the feeling that you took hard classes in college and had to work for your grades, and so you feel that others should earn them too. I understand where you are coming from, but like someone said above, it is a business.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Don't worry, you do not want those jobs.

You sound insecure about your test scores.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I was going to mention that, too. In many ways, college is as much about developing skills for the work world as it is about learning.

Of course it is. When a good employer (please again note the word good) reviews college courses, experiences, etc., he/she is looking at how involved, curious, hard-working, etc. a person is. Just taking a particular course says absolutely nothing about someone's employability.

Lots of jobs will set hard arbitrary GPA cut offs.

Some even check test scores (e.g. they want your GMAT scores).

In my experience, those cutoffs are generally part of a formula, not absolutes. Also, this is often used by very large firms who don't wish to even think about anybody but those who appear to be the top X percent on paper simply because they don't have the time to cull through everybody.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to be decent with numbers so 700 math. Also low verbal scores (<600) is a warning sign. Again, this is just how I've seen other people look at it. It's not necessarily my view.

Not necessarily. Promotions are often given to people who play the politics better than those who have the best ability (to a certain degree - you obviously need some ability as well). Regardless of what you view as fair or right, for any given individual it makes sense to maximize their earning potential / chance of getting the job they want. It isn't to make sure a corporation's recruiting class is optimized.

Also, you make the assumption that people who go the "easy class" route are dumbshits. Not really. I am pretty smart compared to the average Joe and I did it. I know other smart people who did it too. Why not get a 3.7 if you would otherwise get a 3.4? Why not get a 4.0 if you would otherwise get a 3.7? It is relative, not absolute. Both smart and dumb people utilize this strategy.

I get the feeling that you took hard classes in college and had to work for your grades, and so you feel that others should earn them too. I understand where you are coming from, but like someone said above, it is a business.

Honestly, at the risk of sounding like some asshat, I don't really know what to tell people that ask these types of questions because I did not have these types of problems. I took the classes that interested me without any thought as to whether they were hard or not. There were semesters when I took 21 credits or whatever, and I just never really had a problem getting good grades.

College is one of those rare opportunities in life when you can really pursue things intellectually that interest you and I didn't skip that opportunity because I was worried about whether or not my GPA will suffer. But like I said, I wasn't really in the same position as the OP because even so-called hard classes were pretty easy.

In the long term, I don't think any of this really matters. People who are bright and have bright ideas will do well, and people who are not bright or not motivated or whatever will not do well regardless of what classes either group took in college.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fair enough, but then realize that you are smarter than the great majority of people and your advice may not be best for them. Even though I am pretty smart (but aware that I am far from the smartest at school or at my current employer), I struggled with hard classes in college. They didn't necessarily come that easily to me, and an A was far from guaranteed.

If someone who is not brilliant wants to get a good job that they'd enjoy, but the competition is fierce for even getting an interview, I think it would be misguiding them to say to not worry about the GPA and just taking what interests them. Sometimes, the most interesting classes have professors who tend to think that a B is an excellent grade and that a C truly means &quot;not bad&quot;.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher

In my experience, those cutoffs are generally part of a formula, not absolutes. Also, this is often used by very large firms who don't wish to even think about anybody but those who appear to be the top X percent on paper simply because they don't have the time to cull through everybody.

Well, it isn't really a formula, more of an algorithm. For example:

Step 1) if gpa <=3.49 DELETE RESUME
Step 2) if gmat <=649 DELETE RESUME
Step 3) if BS/BA school name != (lookup list of recruiting schools) DELETE RESUME
Step 4) . . . .

Instead of using weightings for the things and doing an average of some sort. Or using clustering for example.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, the most interesting classes have professors who tend to think that a B is an excellent grade and that a C truly means "not bad".

I had a math prof that literally told us that grades were worthless because they didn't leave him enough bandwidth to determine who the real geniuses were. Our exams usually had means in the 35 to 40% range. He also wanted the SD to be pretty tight (say 5 or 10% tops) so that he had plenty of room to catch the people that were 2 or 3 SDs above the mean.

This meant every exam had about 50% material that we had never seen or heard of before. That prof was a dick, and his grade policy didn't do him any favors.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a math prof that literally told us that grades were worthless because they didn't leave him enough bandwidth to determine who the real geniuses were. Our exams usually had means in the 35 to 40% range. He also wanted the SD to be pretty tight (say 5 or 10% tops) so that he had plenty of room to catch the people that were 2 or 3 SDs above the mean.

This meant every exam had about 50% material that we had never seen or heard of before. That prof was a dick, and his grade policy didn't do him any favors.

These people never cease to amaze me. Didn't anybody tell them they weren't gods?

office drone

Reaction score
Yes, it is for learning stuff from your courses, but it's also teaching you time management and how to multi-task. Can you juggle a full course load with decent grades, a part time job, and have somewhat of a social life? College/university will surely test you on that. That answer works well in job interviews too...when they ask you what the most important thing you learned in college was...

eztantz

Reaction score
College should definitely be about learning but unfortunately most proffesors are either too lazy or stupid to actually give a decent lesson. I had one proffesor who came to every class with a sheet of paper which she had paraphrased word for word of the assigned reading material and would just read the stuff straight off. Don't know why she even bothered to rewrite it, unless of course she though everyone to be as dumb as her and wouldn't realize what she was doing. Waste of time and money - I could have spent both more wisely on styleforum....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads