• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Black/Black/Black OK to be formally invisible?

Coronos

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've never paid much attention to style; I usually just wear what's comfortable, and try not to look like a slob. There are occasions, of course, where I have to dress up, and that is where I would like some input.

First, about me: I am 40 years old, 5'6", 140 lbs. I am caucasian with average skin tone and dark brown hair.

I have always tended toward dark colours because I am not a flashy person at all; I don't like drawing attention to myself.

My question is regarding what color shirt and tie to wear with my black suit, when I need to wear it. In my profession as a sound technician, I work formal events where I am generally right beside or on the stage, but always need to be invisible.

Before coming to this site, I always thought that black/black/black was a sharp look, and I have worn it on several occasions in the last few years, but I have been reading elsewhere on the forum that is a gangster look. I'm wondering, is also appropriate in my work situation?

For other formal events like weddings and such, I still like my clothing to be understated, as I mentioned above. I don't have many options in my closet right now, but I could definitely pick something else up as needed. I have only three shirts suitable for wearing with a suit: white, black, and black with stripes (pictured).

I also have only three ties: black, textured black, and blue w/ stripes.

(Yes, I leave them tied. I have a hard time getting the knots to sit square, so when they landed right I didn't want to lose them!)

What suggestions would you have given my work situation and personal preference to avoid attention, but still look nice? If black shirts are still a no-go, would a navy shirt be OK?

Thanks.

tgt465

Reaction score
Keeping in mind that there is a huge distinction between what you should wear as a worker at an event and what you should wear as a guest, I think all-black would be fine for work. You do not want to dress better than the guests at an event, but still maintain an appropriate level of formality. Plus it would be better to distinguish yourself as a worker and not a guest, so you should avoid a "normal" suit configuration (e.g. dark suit with white shirt).

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please, please, please, go get a white shirt and another suit in navy, charcoal or a mid to dark grey. For starters.

Coronos

Reaction score
@ tgt465, thanks for the validation of all black for work.

@ Mute, I appreciate the reply, and as noted in my first post, I *do* have a white shirt, I just prefer the darker colors. Given the extremely low number of formal events I attend as a guest, I could justify getting different-coloured shirt, but I'm not really in a position to drop the cash for a new suit. Are there really no dark--or at least subdued--colours that work with a black suit? Navy? Grey?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

H

I have always tended toward dark colours because I am not a flashy person at all; I don't like drawing attention to myself.

That's your idea of not drawing attention to yourself??????????????????????????

This is less flashy

Coronos

Reaction score
That's your idea of not drawing attention to yourself??????????????????????????
This is less flashy

Really? I'll admit, buying that shirt was a stretch for me, but you think black with tiny white stripes is flashy???????????????

Coronos

Reaction score
OK, I get that it would be best to have another dark suit, but I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised. I always thought that a basic black suit, while not always the best choice, could be made to work for almost any occasion. Apparently this is incorrect, but then I ask, what can you do with a charcoal suit that you can't do with black, and why?

Quote:
Thanks, but if you're just going to second a comment, I'll just repeat my reply:

. . . as noted in my first post, I *do* have a white shirt, I just prefer the darker colors. Given the extremely low number of formal events I attend as a guest, I could justify getting different-coloured shirt, but I'm not really in a position to drop the cash for a new suit. Are there really no dark--or at least subdued--colours that work with a black suit? Navy? Grey?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to understand, and maybe get the "second-best" option when the best isn't feasible.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I get that it would be best to have another dark suit, but I'll admit that I'm a bit surprised. I always thought that a basic black suit, while not always the best choice, could be made to work for almost any occasion. Apparently this is incorrect, but then I ask, what can you do with a charcoal suit that you can't do with black, and why?

Look good.

Badandy

Reaction score
All black/dark outfits are boring at best, and offensive to the eyes at worst. Seems like you have a job where wearing all black is the best option, so we can't fault you for that. I wouldn't go up to an inmate and say they should change out of their orange jumper because it's too flashy. That being said, black suits are looked down upon by the majority on SF because they're not all that flattering unless 1) it's dark outside 2) you're a hollywood actor and the set is being professionally lit. I find they look childish but others are free to disagree with me on that count. Charcoal is far different than black for pairing with shirts/ties and is an easier transition from darker to lighter colors in an outfit. You really should try picking up charcoal/navy suit and wearing your white shirt for starters. It is loads better than a black suit with your black striped shirt.

Coronos

Reaction score
Thank you, Badandy, for your detailed and helpful answer.

The next suit I buy will be charcoal, but in the meantime, I guess I'll go back to my white shirt.

HughJ

Reaction score

I find they look childish but others are free to disagree with me on that count.

I don't know about childish, so much as unskilled. Not appropriate as a tuxedo, yet not as versatile or flattering as a more staple suit. Gateway to other not so great choices in shirt, tie and shoes.

I'd never judge someone on the dress requirements of their job (I probably already hate you for never turning the monitors up high enough), but know that you have better options. A subdued shirt and a solid knit tie with a navy or charcoal suit is hardly flashy. And then you'd have a nice suit in your closet for weddings, meetings, interviews, taking the wife out, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads