• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is any of the Lands End stuff for men good?

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered their "Men's Regular 3-button Tailored Fit Year'rounder Blazer" in midnight navy, along with matching trousers. It's on a pretty deep sale, and I figured it's worth a shot - especially given their return policy.

x26

Reaction score
I tried their sweaters last year, very disapointing. I will NOT shop there again.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
I just ordered their "Men's Regular 3-button Tailored Fit Year'rounder Blazer" in midnight navy, along with matching trousers. It's on a pretty deep sale, and I figured it's worth a shot - especially given their return policy.
Blazersuit? Hmmm, where have I heard that before?
devil.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered and received their car coat. Quality is ok, but it is HUGE. I ordered a 38 (smallest size available) and I am swimming in it. It is going back to Sears next week.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Blazersuit? Hmmm, where have I heard that before?
devil.gif

Yeah I have to say that Manton's blazersuit thing seemed pretty sensible to me, especially given that my workplace is so dressed-down that even wearing a blazer is considered pretty fancy-pants. I plan on using the LE coat, assuming it passes muster, in roughly that capacity.

Plus, I needed both a navy suit and a 3-button jacket to round out my incipient wardrobe. This seems like a decent starter. I'll post again once it comes in.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keon
Does Sears carry their slim fit offerings?
The only Sears I've been into in the past many years - the one in the Cambridgeside Galleria - basically only carries LE's outerware, and a pretty crappy selection at that. If you happen to live near a Sears that has an official "Land's End Shop at Sears," you may have better luck actually trying their things on. I basically expect to take this suit in to be tailored once it arrives. I have to do it for the sleeves on pretty much everything anyhow, and I might as well get the rest fitted properly while I'm at it.

indy116

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the Lands End stuff I've purchased over the past couple months. Cotton v-neck sweater, few button down shirts, barn coat, chinos, fine wale cords.. Lots of stuff now that I think about it. I've lost a bunch of weight recently and have had to buy lots of new clothes (and wanting to lose more, so this stuff may not be with me for years), and LE's pricing is in line with what I can afford and the quality has me happy.

My local Sears has a pretty good sized LE store, but they just seem to carry normal sizes. Nothing in tall, like I usually need, and I've not noticed slim stuff.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Someone here recommended the tailored fit summer weight cotton pants. I bought one pair and liked it so much I bought another. I think they were $15 or $20 a pair on sale, but the fit is great and the quality is fine. They look totally appropriate with a lightweight sportcoat.

The one coat I have of theirs that I like is sized down two, iirc -- a 40L when I usually wear 42L. I bought it used, but the quality is solid. I bought some stuff in my size a few months ago, and found that for tailored clothing, even the "tailored fit" didn't work well for me. I'm about 6'3", 195, so I'm no beanpole (nor do I have an "athletic" body).

dcdapper

Reaction score
Land's end does a decent "custom shirt," although of course it's not really custom, it's made-to-measure. Just remember that mtm is only as good as your measurements. It took me three orders to perfect the measurements. But it only cost $60 to $85 a shirt, unless you go for the sea island cotton. If you don't expect Bespoke, or Harvie and Hudson, you probably can't go wrong.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- a sweater vest from the school uniform section - love it (great selection of solid colors)
- two pairs of cords - in a harvest orange and a bright red (for Christmas!) - not very slim fit but I like them
- a few OCBDs - good for the price, I wish the collar and cuffs werent fused.
- silk tie - marginal/a bit of a let-down
- polos - my favorite - I prefer the traditional 100% cotton pique polo with banded cuffs, and theirs is about the cheapest in this configuration

I just bought a ribbon belt from them, which had been $15 but marked down to $1, with a free shipping coupon added on top
blush.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one of the Hyde Park OCBDs on clearance for $20. The body of the shirt is long enough, the collar is shaped well for a cheap buttondown, and the white fabric is thick enough. The body is pretty slim too. The arms are full. Big armholes. The cuffs have big openings. I could live with the puffy sleeves, and I could move the button on the cuff.

All the important proportions are generous, perhaps for shrinkage--I'm sure they expect them to be home laundered, roughly. The 15.5/34 measures more like 16/35 with a chest of about 44 inches.

In the end, I'm not in love with how they look. I don't like plackets and pockets & the way they stand out, twice as bright, if I wear the shirt without an undershirt.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I bought one of the Hyde Park OCBDs on clearance for $20. The body of the shirt is long enough, the collar is shaped well for a cheap buttondown, and the white fabric is thick enough. The body is pretty slim too. The arms are full. Big armholes. The cuffs have big openings. I could live with the puffy sleeves, and I could move the button on the cuff.

All the important proportions are generous, perhaps for shrinkage--I'm sure they expect them to be home laundered, roughly. The 15.5/34 measures more like 16/35 with a chest of about 44 inches.

In the end, I'm not in love with how they look. I don't like plackets and pockets & the way they stand out, twice as bright, if I wear the shirt without an undershirt.

These are fair criticisms. The sizes do tend to run generous - either due to expected shrinkage or due to some sort of vanity sizing for the American market. Even the "tailored" and custom "slim" shirts I've ordered are a little girthier than I'd like.

The sheerness of the fabric is, I guess, a relative thing. There's no doubt that their standard fabrics are not created by Italian monks on a slow loom, but they strike me as pretty solid at their price point. My limited experience with the higher-end fabrics on the "custom" MTM shirts seem pretty good to my untrained eye - at least the "royal twill" and the herringbone. Then again, those shirts cost $80-$90 retail, so should probably be judged against a higher standard of shirt.

Basically, I think LE's basic offerings compare well to the other shirts I've seen at their price point - which is probably Van Heusen, Arrow or Stafford. They're somewhat worse than BB's slim-cut shirts, but not as much as I would have expected. I can't really judge the relative quality of their MTM, since I've not yet tried any others, but I'm overall pretty happy with the shirts I received.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads