• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a Filson Original Briefcase OK with non-mountaineering clothes?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajacob85
definitely ,
i have the briefcase in otter green, its awesome.
and leather bags are taking a back seat to canvas according to a recent gq article.
im looking for the otter green duffle now as well.

Thanks! Do you find the Otter color versatile? Seems to me that the Tan would be moreso, though the Otter is a nice color IRL.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbojangles928
I'm wondering if a laptop could fit in the 256 bag, which is smaller than the 257 with the laptop compartment. The latter seems overly big for my purposes, usually I dont carry more than a laptop and a couple of books in my bag, and that bag needs a dire upgrade. If the slimmer 256 can hold a laptop, I will be all over it when I get the cash.

I think the only size difference between the 256 and 257 is the width (4" vs 6"). So unless you have a super thick sleeve and super thick laptop, if it fits in the 257, it will fit in the 256.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by converge
I have a Filson briefcase (256) in tan and use it with pretty much any type of clothes.

Here is some dude with the briefcase "dressed up":

2008_1219_2.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on this bag but the picture on the Filson site looks like it's a little different than this. The one on filson.com looks like it has black leather handles and leatherwork and it looks like it's a little different shade of canvas than the one in this picture.

Where can I find one like is used in the picture above?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its not black leather in the picture, just really dark brown

just order the 256 in tan and you will look like that guy

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
its not black leather in the picture, just really dark brown

just order the 256 in tan and you will look like that guy

They darken over time, correct?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
They darken over time, correct?

the leather? not sure, but i would think so. i do know that the leather is stiff as a board but after a few months it softens right up.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
the leather? not sure, but i would think so. i do know that the leather is stiff as a board but after a few months it softens right up.

No, the canvas. The leather on the one I tried was quite soft already.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'll darken over time unless you leave it in the sun all day everyday. Re waxing it darkens it too.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
It'll darken over time unless you leave it in the sun all day everyday. Re waxing it darkens it too.

Thanks, is there any way to darken it more quickly, without having to wax it? Like getting it wet (for example, basically any in-home product that will darken it), etc?

DocHunter

Reaction score
Does anyone want to post pictures of their filson bag already worn in a little?

I'm trying to decide what size will be best and I'd like to see a couple of pictures of them from somewhere other than the generic website pics that filson put up.

Anyone?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Thanks, is there any way to darken it more quickly, without having to wax it? Like getting it wet (for example, basically any in-home product that will darken it), etc?

Not really. It's a waxed twill and you'll wreck it if you wash it or try to dye it. Best results for any patina is to just use it.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you can't wear filson bags with anything other than mountaineering clothing, the people here at styleforum possessing these bags have noticed this and taken up the hobby and begun dressing exclusively from Crane's. Furthermore, those around here who own a pair of Sperry Topsiders are licensed to drive a boat and in some cases, own boat(s).

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
No, you can't wear filson bags with anything other than mountaineering clothing, the people here at styleforum possessing these bags have noticed this and taken up the hobby and begun dressing exclusively from Crane's. Furthermore, those around here who own a pair of Sperry Topsiders are licensed to drive a boat and in some cases, own boat(s).

I think the OP is asking if there would be a clash of aesthetics if he carried a Filson bag while wearing ordinary school clothes. That's different from asking, "Do you have to be in a boat to wear Sperrys?" or in this case, "Do I have to be hunting deer in order to use a Filson bag?" It's not really a question of function/purpose.

To me, his question's no different from asking whether it's OK to wear sneakers with a suit.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by converge
I have a Filson briefcase (256) in tan and use it with pretty much any type of clothes.

Here is some dude with the briefcase "dressed up":

2008_1219_2.jpg

I was just gonna post this.

I want to be this guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads