• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is 29 too young to become a consultant?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am kicking around the idea of starting doing some consulting on my own. I think I could contiue to work for my current company on a fee basis, as well as pick up some work with my old old comapny and probably do some work with my old old boss. I just struggle with the idea that I would be worth anything at such a young age. What do people think about stepping out on your own at such a young age.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Consultant in what? What you're really asking is "is 29 too young to become an independant worker charging an hourly fee" the answer is, well it depends.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
dude, go for it. If I had any discernable skills I'd do it too.

+1 It depends on your skills. If you are very good at something, and have a track record to prove it, 29 is not too young. In IT at least it's fairly common.

Lucky7

Reaction score
The answer is yes, if you are qualified. Do you have a proven track record for success? Some clients may have an issue with your age, but how would they really know? I say go for it. What is the worst that can happen?

B2C2V

Reaction score
There are more things than age to consider to be an independent contractor / consultant. First of all, are you in a sustained and favorable position with your capabillies, connections/channels, cost?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
see, thats just it, in the small world of retail real estate, I am known, have contacts, and could be useful in a variety of capacities, but additionally, for example, I am incredibly tech savy, not set up multinational networks/programing, but I could do in house IT no problem. I have always wanted to get into say retail consulting, and through a previous job, I traveled the country quite a bit and did a lot of work assessing retailers in US and Canada and feel like I have a good ability to be insightful in those type of capacities.

And most importantly, I am a grand master at sending emails that say absolutely nothing, which is also a critical skill

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only true test is whether someone is willing and able to pay you for your consulting services.

K

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
see, thats just it, in the small world of retail real estate, I am known, have contacts, and could be useful in a variety of capacities, but additionally, for example, I am incredibly tech savy, not set up multinational networks/programing, but I could do in house IT no problem. I have always wanted to get into say retail consulting, and through a previous job, I traveled the country quite a bit and did a lot of work assessing retailers in US and Canada and feel like I have a good ability to be insightful in those type of capacities.

And most importantly, I am a grand master at sending emails that say absolutely nothing, which is also a critical skill

What does doing in-house IT have to do with retail real estate? Marketing skills would be far more valuable to such businesses imo.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is the ability to say alot that means absolutely nothing worth paying for? I see this problem alot in finance as well, these guys are wonderful at saying a whole lot that means very little.

I recently attended a Glen Meade trust presentation, and they gave out a booklet which included 29 pages of charts that said absolutely nothing of significance, then wrapped it all up by comparing the old way of investing to the new way of investing. Suffice to say they were very very similar with exception of a few slight changes and A LOT of technical terms.

The booklet would have been impressive had i found out say....a Grad student made it, it was not very impressive to find out a company which only employs people with 15+ years in the industry made it.

I think it would be hard to mesh the corporate world with the retail front world. One of my friends is extremely good at selling to small businesses and retail establishments and he's very low key, down to earth, and can explain exactly what he's trying to do in very clear terms to someone who may not understand it very well. He also looks the part, dresses in polo shirts and jeans on a 'dress up' day.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can you sell yourself and convince others that you might know more about their business than they do? Or do you possess some track record or certification that sells itself, that says you know more about their business than they do?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked as a consultant at the ages of 21-23. Did alright, though the hours and responsibilities kind of sucked.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'd think the only factor age would have to do with consulting work is that you're either a younger or older consultant.

I worked for two years as a consultant for an electrical contractor. The job paid very well, good hours, and didn't require any special certification. If you've got the knowledge or skill that someone's in demand for I don't see how it could be anything but a no-brainer.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Why is the ability to say alot that means absolutely nothing worth paying for? I see this problem alot in finance as well, these guys are wonderful at saying a whole lot that means very little.

That was a joke - I am always getting emails from various consultants that I work with that are like 9 inches of nothing.

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
The only true test is whether someone is willing and able to pay you for your consulting services.

K

+1

If you already have a couple of clients -- and particularly if this enables you to connect with more potential clients -- you are in good shape. The key is balancing doing a good job on your current project(s) with finding the next one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads