iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just saw a bunch of people camping out in front of Best Buy in Union Square. Holy shit.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Podcast app is set to automatically delete the old ones. So I don't have to manage the data manually. With audiobooks, I just delete them when done. You can always download it again if needed.

3. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Whew, took a while to catch up on this thread, but here are my collected thoughts over the past 10+ pages:

1 - My iPhone is set to sync calendars with my Exchange server account and new appts are synced more or less immediately, i.e. within seconds. I'm also synced with my wife's Y! calendar, on which we keep all our personal appts and scheduling, and the whole thing works like a charm. I couldn't live without it.

2 - I don't have any productivity apps, but I do have an anti-productivity app: Skyfire with private browsing. There's a fap for that.

3 - Nobody is discussing the new maps feature, maybe because nobody's seen it, but for me that's a big x-factor. I hope there is no dropoff in functionality or usefulness. There's so much integrated into google maps, e.g. you can search for "KFC" near you and get the phone number too so you can call your bucket in ahead of time. Is Apple going to build their own new database of stuff like that? Or can they still link into google for some information? Curious to see how it's all going to work. I hope well.

4 - I'm on T, ordered through a friend, who has a T guy he works with, I'd better keep my unlimited data or I'm gonna be pissed. Only got 32GB. I wish I had gotten 64. Call me old-fashioned, but I rip my music at lossless compression b/c I have my home computer linked to my hifi, and it's too much of a pain to keep two libraries. I'm always pretty much maxed out.

5 - Am I too late to troll blairh?

4. Jr Mouse

I believe that Apple signed a deal with Yelp for the local data. So the Map app will pull the info up that way if needed.

New Maps is the feature i'm most excited about. Built in turn by turn directions has been a long time coming. :)

5. Douglas

oh god, yelp sucks balls.

but i guess i'm thinking of the reviews moreso than the hard data. but because i hate the reviews so much i never use any part of their info. are they as robust as google?

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i take it your "get in line at the Apple store" idea just went out the door.

7. Jr Mouse

I find most online public reviews to be largely useless. One's much more likely to take the time to write a review if they had a negative experience, then a positive one. Yelp just seems to be one of the worse for this.

I have a feeling that Apple's going to tie into several resources in an effort to ensure that the data comes across robust. They don't want to fuck this up. We should also see a stand along Google Maps app, shortly. If you don't mind it not being the default, that's an option.

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I also do this, and it's one of the biggest things pushing me away from the iPhone. I'm not re-ripping everything from FLAC, not going to use iTunes, don't want to convert everything to ALAC or whatever apple calls it. fuck apple's noncompliance bullshit.

9. patrickBOOTH

Best Buy it is!!! :teach:

10. blairh

blairh Senior member

But you don't go around putting a nice watch on a variety of flat surfaces face down.

11. Douglas

To be honest, it's one of the things locking me into the iPhone, which is exactly what they want, of course. There's just too much change associated with changing platforms, for everything, and since I'm in ALAC mode I'm pretty much stuck here. It's infuriating to some extent.... but I'm not ready to face the alternative just yet.

12. Jr Mouse

Isn't there an app that plays FLAC? I can't imagine no one has coded one.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

No, I don't use any of the accessories. I did with my first one, but haven't since then.

14. patrickBOOTH

I am wondering if the iPhone 5 has a better DAC. The DAC in the ipod is better, imo.

15. Douglas

oh, yeah, forgot to mention the camera. i will probably get the invisible shield just for the back of the phone, if only to recess the lens just a tad. I recently bought an entirely new caseback for my iphone 4 because the lens was scratched to shit. I don't know why they make it the way they do - it almost seems like the lens is slightly raised.

And yeah, most people try not to drag their watches around on tables and stuff. Sapphire schmapphire.