• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

how much is being used by apps?

Do you remove the audiobooks/podcasts when you are done listening to them?

Podcast app is set to automatically delete the old ones. So I don't have to manage the data manually. With audiobooks, I just delete them when done. You can always download it again if needed.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whew, took a while to catch up on this thread, but here are my collected thoughts over the past 10+ pages:

1 - My iPhone is set to sync calendars with my Exchange server account and new appts are synced more or less immediately, i.e. within seconds. I'm also synced with my wife's Y! calendar, on which we keep all our personal appts and scheduling, and the whole thing works like a charm. I couldn't live without it.

2 - I don't have any productivity apps, but I do have an anti-productivity app: Skyfire with private browsing. There's a fap for that.

3 - Nobody is discussing the new maps feature, maybe because nobody's seen it, but for me that's a big x-factor. I hope there is no dropoff in functionality or usefulness. There's so much integrated into google maps, e.g. you can search for "KFC" near you and get the phone number too so you can call your bucket in ahead of time. Is Apple going to build their own new database of stuff like that? Or can they still link into google for some information? Curious to see how it's all going to work. I hope well.

4 - I'm on T, ordered through a friend, who has a T guy he works with, I'd better keep my unlimited data or I'm gonna be pissed. Only got 32GB. I wish I had gotten 64. Call me old-fashioned, but I rip my music at lossless compression b/c I have my home computer linked to my hifi, and it's too much of a pain to keep two libraries. I'm always pretty much maxed out.

5 - Am I too late to troll blairh?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe that Apple signed a deal with Yelp for the local data. So the Map app will pull the info up that way if needed.

New Maps is the feature i'm most excited about. Built in turn by turn directions has been a long time coming. :)

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh god, yelp sucks balls.

but i guess i'm thinking of the reviews moreso than the hard data. but because i hate the reviews so much i never use any part of their info. are they as robust as google?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find most online public reviews to be largely useless. One's much more likely to take the time to write a review if they had a negative experience, then a positive one. Yelp just seems to be one of the worse for this.

I have a feeling that Apple's going to tie into several resources in an effort to ensure that the data comes across robust. They don't want to **** this up. We should also see a stand along Google Maps app, shortly. If you don't mind it not being the default, that's an option.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4 - I'm on T, ordered through a friend, who has a T guy he works with, I'd better keep my unlimited data or I'm gonna be pissed. Only got 32GB. I wish I had gotten 64. Call me old-fashioned, but I rip my music at lossless compression b/c I have my home computer linked to my hifi, and it's too much of a pain to keep two libraries. I'm always pretty much maxed out.

I also do this, and it's one of the biggest things pushing me away from the iPhone. I'm not re-ripping everything from FLAC, not going to use iTunes, don't want to convert everything to ALAC or whatever apple calls it. **** apple's noncompliance bullshit.

blairh

Reaction score

If it's really sapphire glass (and I've also heard that it is), this is unnecessary. Chances of scratching it are extremely small. You don't see people with nice watches adding protection to the sapphire crystal.

But you don't go around putting a nice watch on a variety of flat surfaces face down.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I also do this, and it's one of the biggest things pushing me away from the iPhone. I'm not re-ripping everything from FLAC, not going to use iTunes, don't want to convert everything to ALAC or whatever apple calls it. **** apple's noncompliance bullshit.

To be honest, it's one of the things locking me into the iPhone, which is exactly what they want, of course. There's just too much change associated with changing platforms, for everything, and since I'm in ALAC mode I'm pretty much stuck here. It's infuriating to some extent.... but I'm not ready to face the alternative just yet.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't there an app that plays FLAC? I can't imagine no one has coded one.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, is anyone going to pick up accessories for their iPhone 5? Sleeve? Screen protector? etc etc.
Interested to see what new ones come out as everything currently will not fit.
I am considering one just to ease my mind.
No, I don't use any of the accessories. I did with my first one, but haven't since then.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh, yeah, forgot to mention the camera. i will probably get the invisible shield just for the back of the phone, if only to recess the lens just a tad. I recently bought an entirely new caseback for my iphone 4 because the lens was scratched to ****. I don't know why they make it the way they do - it almost seems like the lens is slightly raised.

And yeah, most people try not to drag their watches around on tables and stuff. Sapphire schmapphire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics