• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is not if it will scratch, but when. We're talking about a coating that maxes out at ~0.006", and the sharp edges of the iPhone are only going to make it easier for wear to show.

I'm not saying this to be combative; only to let people know that if this is going to bother them, they should opt for the white. The iPhone 5 is new; the process of anodizing is not.

Also, I like this:

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pio do you not know about google chrome :plain:

automatically translates with click.

well if this whole dent/scuff thing is as prevalent as the interwebz is making it out to be, this was a freak screw up on apples part.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No meetings this morning so on the way to the post office I took a punt and went to the ATT shop which opened at 8, so I arrived at 8. I assumed they would open the door at 8 and let us in, but they had like 20 people waiting outside. As soon as I arrived the first few went in so I figured *******, maybe this will work out. About 20 mins later nobody came in or out and I was like what the ****.

So the ATT employee comes outside and he tells us not to worry the first few are slow. Wait 20 more minutes and a few people got in. At this point my patience was wearing thin and I felt an idiot tool being there in a ******* line over a phone. But now I was invested. So a few minutes later the asshole comes outside and announces there are no more 32 and 64 GB phones. All of 8 people went inside.

So I left the line and asked him why the hell, considering he knew he didn't have **** for stock, he didn't just take orders from people in line so they could allocate what they had and at least let the rest know they weren't getting their ****. His answer: "we don't do that", the equivalent of "I just work here". So I left, wasting almost an hour of my life.

I will never do anything like this again.

It was cemented listening to this goober tell stories about his other experiences waiting in line. On one occasion he waited 9 hours for some product I had never hear of.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Again, does it not make sense to be patient here? Millions of people will soon have them in hand. If it's a wide spread issue we will soon find out. I'm not trying to be combative here either. I just find it ridiculous to have formed a formal opinion on the matter already, when it just launched TODAY.

If it is an issue, then it's a real problem for Apple. One that could be far worse then "antennagate" ever was from a PR standpoint.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So happy I waited as I have no worries. If real cancel, if not it's all good.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that "scratches easily," "can show scratches over time," and "if you treat it badly the unit may show scratches" are all different concepts. If it is a real issue, that does not leave out nuance to the severity of it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, keep in mind that "scratches easily," "can show scratches over time," and "if you treat it badly the unit may show scratches" are all different concepts. If it is a real issue, that does not leave out nuance to the severity of it.

This I agree with 100%. The question is how EASY it will be to scratch; there are different "quality" levels of anodizing. But even the best will eventually scratch, and especially in areas with sharp corners. My only point is that while the iPhone is new, the issue we're talking about is not so much an iPhone issue as it is an anodizing "issue".

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
iPhone5 Defect Causes Global Crisis

San Francisco, CA - In a shocking turn of events today, the worldwide roll-out of Apple's new iPhone5 has caused wide-ranging social disturbances due to an unforeseen manufacturing defect. As the dateline of availability has swept westward across the globe, large crowds of new iPhone5 owners have streamed into public squares to protest, such as in front of the Sydney Opera House, where the massive crowd is estimated to be at least 23 teenagers.

One new owner characterized the manufacturing flaw as "this goopy paint job they used on the black cases". He went on to explain that "mate, this crap just peels right off. I waited in line at the Apple store for 3 weeks for this, and I spent a huge amount of my parent's money on it, and now it's all ruined! Shame on Apple! I'll never buy another product from Apple!. Well, maybe the mini-iPad when that comes out, but no more after that! I promise!" He also said that he would return his new phone for a white model, even though "I heard the white one reduces your testosterone level, but I don't care! I'm a college student. I have plenty to spare!"

Psychologist Alan Turing, of the Australian Mental Health Society, said a number of new social ills have arisen because of this defect. "We have been seeing reports of a rapid increase in problems for these new owners within their social circles, including higher unpopularity rates, increased sniping from their BFFs, girlfriends just walking away from their boyfriends, and long-term sleeplessness. I have also seen first-hand where many people have been fired from their jobs when their employers saw their new silver-edged black iPhone5."

Membership has surged in the newly-formed support group for unhappy iPhone5 owners, called the Disaffected iPhone Society (DiPS). "We encourage people who are dissatisfied with their new iPhones to visit our website, GTFU.ORG, to share their tragic stories with others in the same unfortunate circumstance," said Harley Whinemeister, spokesman for DiPS.

Apple did not respond to requests for information for this article, but did say on their website that "Users will be entranced with the experience of using their iPhone5 in the wild. The special anodizing process has enabled a new world of puffery and bloviating for mobile devices. Remember, every scratch tells a story."

Further details on this pandemic will be made available as they become known.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads