• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

investing in first suit, need options and opinions

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TBH, in that price range, there is no point in "investing" because nothing you can buy (unless you get super lucky at an outlet) of that quality will stand the test of time.

This.

The meme of "investing" in good clothing is a rather poisonous one in any case. I appreciate that falling stock markets have recently habituated us into thinking than falling asset values are the norm, but the normal purpose of an "investment" is that it increases in value over time. Clothing does not do this (outside of the celebrity/movie niche, and even then it's unpredictable). It is true than a decent rotation of high quality items lasts longer than a small rotation of poor quality items, so spending more upfront can mean less replacement need and therefore greater amortization over time. But considering a single suit purchase, esp. at this price level, as an investment is an unhelpful way of conceptualising the problem. Just get the nicest suit you can afford that fits you well.

Once you have sufficient finances to consider actually building a wardrobe with consistent regular purchases over time, you can start thinking about what kind of garments will give you the most flexible wardrobe for least long-term cost.

Last edited:

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

, but the normal purpose of an "investment" is that it increases in value over time.

Or to generate a stream of income. Think strip bonds.

I could see clothing if used for work being thought of like strip bonds.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
LOL. OK, yes, I see what you mean, but don't strip bonds have a highly fluctuating yield? I can't quite see how clothes have that. Mind you, I'm not a financial professional in any shape or form, so I may be thinking of something totally different! :D

I suppose if one really wants to look at clothes through an economic lens, they're more like a capital expenditure (as in buying a new bit of plant machinery) that depreciates over time, but generates productivity until it depreciates completely or is superseded by a new model. Provided the increased productivity outweighs the cost, it's a successful "investment".
laugh.gif

Last edited:

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Isn't the investment also always used to increase the value of whatever you have invested in? Or am I using a bad definition there?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LOL. OK, yes, I see what you mean, but don't strip bonds have a highly fluctuating yield?

Strips are bonds split into two parts.Some people just buy the income . Others don't want the income over the life of the bond so just get a the rest.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out all the sales around xmas, you should be able to land a great bargain if you look around!

tone76

Reaction score

good advice, thank you, Allen Edmonds shoes look very nice, a bit on the conservative side, but I guess I need something safe to start out with. I'll visit their store in Houston when i get the chance. The online sales right now put some of the shoes I like around $200, which is very good. do you know if allen edmonds are all US made?
what do you guys think about this as a versatile starter shoe? lombard model in burgundy

I wouldn't, not as a starter shoe.

Every man needs a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues in black. Those should be your first good shoe purchase. If you're patient, you should be able to bag a pair for around $200 or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads