• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

investing in first suit, need options and opinions

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
so i have a few weddings coming up, and like to invest in my first suit, my budget is around $300, since I will only wear it about 3 times in the next 12 months, I don't want to fork out too much money. Also would places like nordstrom rack and last call have anything good? what brands do i look for? also should i buy the pants and jacket separately?
what color should i go with?
I like the 3 piece look, but since this is my first suit should i start with a 2 piece?

thanks a lot in advance

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 300 dollar price range is going to lead to slim pickings. If you are willing to shell out 450 you can grab a JCrew suit online right now, but some of the more veteran SFers might have better suggestions in that price range.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not use the 'Search' function rather than starting yet another threead on tis old subject? It smacks of pure laziness, expecting others to do your research for you.

tgt465

Reaction score
If you're already down to $300, buying a waistcoat just means less money for the rest of the suit and lower quality. Better to skip the waistcoat and get a 2 piece.

For $300 I would suggest JC Penney, Jos A Bank or some similar mall brand for around $150, and spending the rest of the money on getting it tailored. This won't work well if you're ultra-skinny or a slim-fit kind of guy, but if you're even a bit bulky or large the fit shouldn't be too far off.

Also does the $300 include shoes and shirt? If you need shoes as well, this budget will be really tight, and you should definitely stick with JC Penney. Getting better quality shoes is more important than the suit.

Rincon

Reaction score
TBH, in that price range, there is no point in "investing" because nothing you can buy (unless you get super lucky at an outlet) of that quality will stand the test of time.

You are better off going with a cheap fashion brand which you can wear for 18 months or so and will look real sharp. I'd recommend Zara.

Something from JC Penny's etc etc will fit terribly (if you want a fashionable cut... which I assume you do since you are on this forum) and will cost money to tailor.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to get a high quality suit for $300 under normal circumstances. Sure, you may get lucky in an outlet or on B&S here, but it is unlikely, especially for someone looking for their first suit.

Someone else already asked - do you also need to buy shoes, dress shirt, tie, etc? Or is this $300 budget for the suit alone? Either way, you're only going to wear it 3 times in the next year, so don't worry about getting something that's going to last a long time through numerous wearings. Instead, focus on fit, fit, fit. But something inexpensive (H&M, Zara, and the like...you also mentioned Nordstrom Rack and Last Call, which could also be good choices), then get it altered by a competent tailor. You should probably allocate somewhere around ~$220 for the suit and ~$80 for tailoring (this is just a rough estimate, could be less depending on what you need to get tailored).

And try not to focus on brands either...in your price range you won't be able to afford a luxury brand, so just try on A LOT of different brands and suit styles to find out what works best for your body. Again, fit will be the most important factor here, since you will be buying a suit on a tight budget.

Mandres

Reaction score
Your best option is to get measured and then hit up the B&S forum here. You should be able to find a nice Hickey Freeman or similar quality suit within your price range as long as you're not an unusual size. Then spend a little more having a reputable local tailor fit it for your and you're good to go.

NickyEyes

Reaction score
you might be able to get a jcrew suit for around 300 considering all the sales they currently have going on.

OinkBoink

Reaction score
Are you a common size? Nordstrom Rack seems to have an okay selection of Hickey Freeman suits in that price range so long as you can find one that fits.

I saw a great looking, medium-gray Canali suit at a Rack near me that actually fit for $700. If it doesn't walk out the door and drops in price a bit, I'll probably get it.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you might be able to get a jcrew suit for around 300 considering all the sales they currently have going on.

If you want navy or charcoal, then its about 450 right now with the sales. You can probably snag a khaki suit for around 300.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Check out Brooks Brothers clearance page. If your a non-common size they have suits up there all the time. I recently found a Brown 1818 herringbone Regent fit for $120.

eddiecibrian

Reaction score

If you're already down to $300, buying a waistcoat just means less money for the rest of the suit and lower quality. Better to skip the waistcoat and get a 2 piece.
For $300 I would suggest JC Penney, Jos A Bank or some similar mall brand for around $150, and spending the rest of the money on getting it tailored. This won't work well if you're ultra-skinny or a slim-fit kind of guy, but if you're even a bit bulky or large the fit shouldn't be too far off.
Also does the $300 include shoes and shirt? If you need shoes as well, this budget will be really tight, and you should definitely stick with JC Penney. Getting better quality shoes is more important than the suit.

TBH, in that price range, there is no point in "investing" because nothing you can buy (unless you get super lucky at an outlet) of that quality will stand the test of time.

You are better off going with a cheap fashion brand which you can wear for 18 months or so and will look real sharp. I'd recommend Zara.

Something from JC Penny's etc etc will fit terribly (if you want a fashionable cut... which I assume you do since you are on this forum) and will cost money to tailor.

Are you a common size? Nordstrom Rack seems to have an okay selection of Hickey Freeman suits in that price range so long as you can find one that fits.

I saw a great looking, medium-gray Canali suit at a Rack near me that actually fit for $700. If it doesn't walk out the door and drops in price a bit, I'll probably get it.

I'm a size 38-40, i would say more around a 38, pants im around a 30. that budget doesn't include shoes, actually i need that too, sadly in Houston the last call or rack rarely carries higher end brands, I honestly don't know where they get their stock, because a lot it doesn't seem to come from the actual nordstrom or saks stores.
Ill look into brooks and jcrew. If I buy a suit from Zara, what would be the difference be between a suit from Jcrew or Brooks?
Any recommendations for the type of shoe? I kind of like the magnanni look they have at the rack, imo it resembles the long shapes of gaziano and girling, and it's a decent price, being made in spain is another reason I don't mind forking around $150 for one. the $300 budget doesnt include tailoring either

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a size 38-40, i would say more around a 38, pants im around a 30. that budget doesn't include shoes, actually i need that too, sadly in Houston the last call or rack rarely carries higher end brands, I honestly don't know where they get their stock, because a lot it doesn't seem to come from the actual nordstrom or saks stores.
Ill look into brooks and jcrew. If I buy a suit from Zara, what would be the difference be between a suit from Jcrew or Brooks?
Any recommendations for the type of shoe? I kind of like the magnanni look they have at the rack, imo it resembles the long shapes of gaziano and girling, and it's a decent price, being made in spain is another reason I don't mind forking around $150 for one. the $300 budget doesnt include tailoring either

I think it depends how long you're planning to keep the suit and how often you will wear it. The Zara suits aren't cut that slim unlike a lot of their other offerings, but the cut is okay overall. The main difference between BB, J Crew and Zara is the construction. BB is the best constructed, half-canvassed, and will last a lot longer. With that said, most BB cuts are more conservative including the Fitzgerald/Milano (which are the slim cuts). The J Crew Ludlow is reasonable and slightly more fashion friendly than the BB suits in my eyes and the quality is solid. Zara tends to be the most fashion forward but their suits will fall apart after a season or 2. If you're planning on wearing it just this season, Zara quality should be fine since you might want a new suit after this season anyway.

For shoes, Magnanni look okay but again, it would be the Zara equivalent of dress shoes in that the style is nice but the quality is lacking and the shoes won't last long. For shoes, you might be better looking at Allen Edmonds on sale.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd buy from Goodwill if I was you. $300 suit isn't a good purchase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads