• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

investing in first suit, need options and opinions

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I would have yourself measured. 30 waist but 38-40 chest is unlikely. Possible, but there's a reason nearly every drop in menswear is 6 inches. Try on a 36 and a 38, you might be surprised.

As for the suit itself, Jos. a Bank, and get it tailored. They constantly have sales, you should be able to get a signature gold in your price range (at least their current sale is showing as such), which is half canvassed. While that may not mean a whole lot to you, trust me when I say that that mean's it's built better and will look better than cheaper means of tailoring a suit. But you will need to get the waist taken in and sleeves shortened. Hemming, of course, as well.

I would recommend thrift stores as well, but if you don't know your size and how a jacket should fit, it's dangerous. But there is some great stuff at such places, they're worth checking out.

eddiecibrian

Reaction score

I'd buy from Goodwill if I was you. $300 suit isn't a good purchase.

First, I would have yourself measured. 30 waist but 38-40 chest is unlikely. Possible, but there's a reason nearly every drop in menswear is 6 inches. Try on a 36 and a 38, you might be surprised.
As for the suit itself, Jos. a Bank, and get it tailored. They constantly have sales, you should be able to get a signature gold in your price range (at least their current sale is showing as such), which is half canvassed. While that may not mean a whole lot to you, trust me when I say that that mean's it's built better and will look better than cheaper means of tailoring a suit. But you will need to get the waist taken in and sleeves shortened. Hemming, of course, as well.
I would recommend thrift stores as well, but if you don't know your size and how a jacket should fit, it's dangerous. But there is some great stuff at such places, they're worth checking out.

I'm a little bit hesitant to spend $300 on Jos. A Bank, now that I think of it I'd rather save up and get something nice later, let me experiment with a cheaper suit first
for Goodwill, If i cant find matching pants, is it ok to just go in the pants section and buy the same color? granted it's a solid color
Also how do you tell if a suit is slim fitting?

i watched this video on GQ, if i just follow this, will i be ok?
http://www.gq.com/video?videoID=42971935001

Last edited:

eddiecibrian

Reaction score

I'm a size 38-40, i would say more around a 38, pants im around a 30. that budget doesn't include shoes, actually i need that too, sadly in Houston the last call or rack rarely carries higher end brands, I honestly don't know where they get their stock, because a lot it doesn't seem to come from the actual nordstrom or saks stores.
Ill look into brooks and jcrew. If I buy a suit from Zara, what would be the difference be between a suit from Jcrew or Brooks?
Any recommendations for the type of shoe? I kind of like the magnanni look they have at the rack, imo it resembles the long shapes of gaziano and girling, and it's a decent price, being made in spain is another reason I don't mind forking around $150 for one. the $300 budget doesnt include tailoring either

I think it depends how long you're planning to keep the suit and how often you will wear it. The Zara suits aren't cut that slim unlike a lot of their other offerings, but the cut is okay overall. The main difference between BB, J Crew and Zara is the construction. BB is the best constructed, half-canvassed, and will last a lot longer. With that said, most BB cuts are more conservative including the Fitzgerald/Milano (which are the slim cuts). The J Crew Ludlow is reasonable and slightly more fashion friendly than the BB suits in my eyes and the quality is solid. Zara tends to be the most fashion forward but their suits will fall apart after a season or 2. If you're planning on wearing it just this season, Zara quality should be fine since you might want a new suit after this season anyway.
For shoes, Magnanni look okay but again, it would be the Zara equivalent of dress shoes in that the style is nice but the quality is lacking and the shoes won't last long. For shoes, you might be better looking at Allen Edmonds on sale.

good advice, thank you, Allen Edmonds shoes look very nice, a bit on the conservative side, but I guess I need something safe to start out with. I'll visit their store in Houston when i get the chance. The online sales right now put some of the shoes I like around $200, which is very good. do you know if allen edmonds are all US made?

what do you guys think about this as a versatile starter shoe? lombard model in burgundy

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

good advice, thank you, Allen Edmonds shoes look very nice, a bit on the conservative side, but I guess I need something safe to start out with. I'll visit their store in Houston when i get the chance. The online sales right now put some of the shoes I like around $200, which is very good. do you know if allen edmonds are all US made?
what do you guys think about this as a versatile starter shoe? lombard model in burgundy

Your first shoe should be a cap toe like the Park Avenue or a punch cap like the Fifth Avenue.

sborg

Reaction score
most retailers are on sale now, i guess this is a perfect time to shop around with your limited budget, but i'd suggest to just save up for the high quality suits worth your money.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go the thrift store route then make sure you don't end up with weird lapels. I live in Houston and its hard to come across many slim cut suits or ones with lapels that aren't too big.

blackstone

Reaction score

is that really the general rule as im a 40" jacket and 30" waist. i always have to get a 32" trouser taken in

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All AEs except the boat shoes are US made. Do not try to mix and match pants and jackets in thrift stores. You need an exact match for a suit and will not find it. Once you figure out your size, you may want to check out the Benjamin suits at SF affiliate ehaberdasher.com. They are sometimes on sale for ~ $350, are fully canvassed, and a lot of people here like them.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is that really the general rule as im a 40" jacket and 30" waist. i always have to get a 32" trouser taken in

It is if you're chubby middle aged man that most suits are aimed at.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score

for Goodwill, If i cant find matching pants, is it ok to just go in the pants section and buy the same color? granted it's a solid color

No. It will not be an exact match.

Rincon

Reaction score
Zara not a slim fit? Maybe you are looking a different cut... they have a very slim fit... I'm quite slender and they fit me very well.

J. Crew, even their slim cuts need tailoring.

Of course it is all body type dependent... OP didn't state his body type. I'm 6'3"/180.

Rincon

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a brogue as a first shoe if I were you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads