• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inverting Suit Trousers -- A (Rediculously Excessive) Solution to Sheen?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(I've done several searches and can't find this addressed anywhere)

I thrifted a suit with trousers that are badly sheened. I know I should know better, but it was too good a deal to resist.

The jacket is fine. The sheen on the trousers is pretty uniform throughout the leg (i.e., not "patchy" as one might expect with wear). So I suspect this is just a classic case of ironing without a pressing cloth (either by the former owner or by a dry cleaner).

I've read all the threads on how (if at all) to address this problem, and I will try those solutions. (Seriously, what do I have to lose?) My question is: Assuming that fails, has anyone ever tried having a tailor disassemble the trousers, invert the suit fabric (such that what was inside is now outside) and re-sew everything?

Drastic? Yes. Expensive? Almost certainly. Worth it? Highly doubtful.

But the scientist in me is curious. Is this even possible? Or are the details of the suit (placement of zipper, etc.) such that things won't line up.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would probably cost more than having a bespoke pair made from scratch, the amount of work would certainly be equal, and it surely wouldn't be worth the cost unless these particular trousers are made from the most awesomest fabric ever.

I think the side-pockets shouldn't be a problem to reconstruct with the fabric inverted. The fly may or may not be doable depending on how it has been constructed originally. The main problem would be the rear pockets; they have already been cut through the fabric so taking them apart and reconstructing them on the opposite side would be a massive pain ***********, and depending on the type of fabric they may fray terribly in the corners.

I would be surprised if you could find any tailor actually willing to do such a thing for you.

There are other things you can try to remove the shine; I have read that sometimes shine can be removed by lightly sponging the fabric with diluted vinegar before pressing under a press cloth.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
garbage-can.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impossible.

Many cloths are not reversible

The cut does not reverse - just lay them down and look at the shape.

Either send them back or burn the thing: Either way do not buy second hand in future.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The cut does not reverse - just lay them down and look at the shape.

Actually it would reverse. The left topside would flip to become the right topside and vice-versa. Left and right sides should be cut identically unless dress is included on one side, which would certainly not be the case with OTR.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the thoughtful replies. I view this as an interesting thought experiment, and potentially a low-risk opportunity to test methods for resuscitating suits. I will almost certainly not take them to a tailor to have them de- then re-constituted. But I will try the steam and/or vinegar solutions I've found and that have been suggested.

Even if all options fail, I'm no worse off, and have learned something in the process.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most cloths look different on the face and the reverse (the weave looks different) so it would be very obvious if you did this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads