• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing myself (Newbie)

chidomer

Reaction score
Hi everyone - first post and I have a question but thought it would be useful to summarize my newbie experience todate and also so thanks to this board for what I have learned in just 8 weeks.

Up until 8 weeks ago, I was your basic business professional dresser. I work in a larger client service company (think law firm, accounting, consulting, etc). I am 36 years old (fairly young partner at my firm). Generally, my dress has been straight out of Brooks Brothers. All my suits were 1818 models either Fitzgerald or Madison and the majority of my shirts and ties were BB as well. Occasionally I would buy a few shirts from Paul Fredrick Menstyle which generally didn't last very well after a few laundering and generally felt cheap. Shoes were Bostonians or Rockports.

As you can see I was pretty much blissfully ignorant. I thought I dressed ok certainly better than average but nothing really special. My main goal then and even really now is not to over dress or stand out from my clients or my team. I wanted to fit in. I still do but I am ok with some subtle differences and upgrades I guess you'd say conservative business dress.

The purpose of this post is to summarize the beginning of what could end up being a very long journey into this space.

About 10-12 weeks ago I got a call from a Tom James rep to come visit me in the office. I knew a few of my partners had done this so I agreed to it. He came to my office and gave me an ultra hard sell. Ultimately without doing any research on my end I agreed to buy a suit, a pair of dress pants (for a more business causal look), 3 custom shirts and 3 ties. After I agreed to this I actually decided to Google Tom James to see what I had gotten myself into. Interestingly enough one of the hits on the first page led me to StyleForum and opened me up to the community. I learned many things since then, most notably that Tom James is over priced and not loved by this group.

Since then I've done the following that I'd like to thank the community for:

• Discovered Charles Tyrwhitt and made it my "core" every day shirt source. Seems like good quality at a fair price if I use one of their perpetual deals and don't pay the rack rate.
  • Discovered Allen Edmonds and bought a part of black Boston Monk straps. I know weird first purchase, I should have bought the Park or Fifth Avenues (more on that)
  • Discovered Nordstrom Rack and found a pair of AE Fairfax's in Walnut. I love these shoes and you wouldn't believe the comments I have gotten on these in both business casual and weekend dress. Really surprised how many people notice and comment on them.
  • Found out about the Hart Schaffner Marx sale on State Street in Chicago (I live there) and was able to pick up two really nice Hickey Freeman sport coats for $193 and 293 respectively. Now I need to get them slightly altered and I am considering Golden Needle and/or ""Joe" at "Tails" at 1400 ish N. Wells. Right at Wells and Shiller."
  • Found out about the Allen Edmonds Shoe Outlet, I have client meetings near one next week and plan to look for my Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues then.
  • Learned many styling tips and hints, learn more every day.

Which brings me to yesterday... my Tom James suit, pants, shirts, etc arrived. Although high priced, I must say the quality is very evident, the fabric feels really nice. The fit of the suit is the best I have had and I really dig the real working button holes. I wore it and the shirt/tie combination today and by noon I had three comments of "Wow, you look really nice", "Nice suit, is that new?" and "Nice tie". The first two were from people that know me and the third was from a random woman in the elevator. In short, I am happy with my Tom James suit and other dress pants. I know I spent more than I could have on them but if that was the cost to exposing me to this site and this world, then it seems like a price that was worth paying. As for the TJ shirts now that I have worn them I don't feel worth it to me in comparison to what I can get at CT for $35+. The ties probably aren't worth it but my TJ sales guy does a great job of picking them out.

Finally, I am pretty excited about my $193 and 293 finds on the Hickey Freeman sport coats.
I will continue to read the board, my next step is to get a suit from either Zeglio or De Louice. I would love to try Despos some day but he is still out of my range for now. Key question is now where to get my two sport coats altered, as I said I am considering Golden Needle or this Joe guy at Tails. Any thoughts?

I know, I know I should be posting pics... I will eventually just wanted to get this out today as its been a good clothes day.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to say thank you to this group. I feel really good about my trajectory but have a lot of learning and trial/error ahead.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chidomer
The purpose of this post is to summarize the beginning of what could end up being a very long journey into this space.
...and can be a very expensive one too
laugh.gif

looks like Golden Needle is a keeper...
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=59132

welcome to SF !

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I think buyer's remorse is what led a lot of people to SF.

Hugo Boss all the way

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
...and can be a very expensive one too
laugh.gif

I can vouch for that. After discovering SF my style has improved drastically, but my bank account has suffered the consequences.
fight[1].gif

So worth it, though.

Welcome to SF, and congratulations on the first steps towards improving your wardrobe.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to all these grumpy bitches; they're 'overworked' from spending too much time here. Great first post - welcome and looking forward to those pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads