• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
hello!

So I'd like to get your guys' expert opinion my outfit for an interview: (civil engineering, meeting with all levels of engineers and supervisors. Job itself would be working out in the field if that matters.

Suit: Napoli Navy
Shirt: white button. French cuffs seems too much?
Tie: I wanted to go with Navy and Red Stripes but kind of lost on this one. Burgundy polka dot seems nice too.
Shoes: Haven't decided fully, but leaning towards either black Allen Edmonds Park Ave or Fifth - not really sure which one is the better fit, but dark brown also seems kind of sweet too.
Accessories: Thinking about getting a messenger bag to match with the shoes.

Appreciate your critique and advice!! :)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Navy suit/white shirt/black captoe shoes sounds great. Either of the ties you listed should be fine. I wouldn't wear french cuffs either but I don't think that would be a deal breaker.

Last edited:

TheLondoner

Reaction score
Just curious: what is a Napoli Navy? Napoli is a city in Italy (that's where Naples, FL gets its name from), and, AFAIK, not renowned for any specific kind of navy colour. Just because someone decides to call a shade of red "Paris Red" or "Tokyo brown" doesn't make the colour particularly more identifiable! I'm not having a go at you, but at companies that come up with silly names.

I think ties with stripes give a very old look, but these things are subjective.

Cufflinks depend a lot on where you are. in the UK they are not as formal as they can be in other countries; for example. I wouldn't mind wearing cufflinks for your kind of interview in the UK, but I most definitely wouldn't wear them in France, Spain or the UK. A decent clue is how ubiquitous, or not, cufflinks are in ordinary, not high-end stores; eg in the UK you find all kinds of cullinks anywhere, including cufflinks shaped as Vespas, as bottles of wine, as dice, etc.

Same for the shoes: most Brits still frown upon brown shoes (no brown in town), a rule I don't personally much approve of.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re worried about French cuffs looking like you’re trying too hard, wear them with simple silk-knot links, which look less flashy than those made of precious metals and gemstones (or facsimiles thereof, as the case may be).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads