• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview - Resume' coloring choices

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since this goes hand-in-hand with our sartorial choices, I'd like to get a feel for what resume' paper and ink coloring choices are preferred by the forum.

I found a very subtle off-white from the Paper Source called SF-white, its not noticeably off-white until compared to white paper. I find that noticeably off-white paper is a bit too intentional.

For ink, I'm thinking of Midnight blue, one shade away from black. I again dont want it to be intentional appearing.

What are your resume' style choices, and for recruiters and hiring managers what do you guys prefer to receive.

I'm with anyone who feels that its whats on the paper (other then the ink) that counts but I'd like to present myself in the best possible manner within my reach.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never submitted a resume by hand or via snail mail, I don't see the point of doing this.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last two successful applications have been electronic, and I'm in the UK, so bear that in mind, but I prefer plain white and prefer typed resumes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Allow me to clarify, this for in person face-face presentation.

I'm off the habit of bringing a couple copies of my resume' with me for interviews.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regular white paper is the best. Thick cream papers only have downside IMO ("paper looks too nice, what is this guy trying to cover - let me find what's wrong with his experience" - it's very subtle and maybe subconscious but there's no point going there)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't stray too far from white in your paper choice. I've submitted about a billion and read about a billion resumes in my day, and I can say from reasonable experience that anything veering too far away from white and into yellowy/creamy territory is just harder to read and more annoying. Since a typical recruiter or hiring manager is reading a lot of resumes, your goal should be to make your resume as easy on the eyes as possible. Easiness to read trumps exoticism 99 times out of 100. You also don't want to look like you're trying too hard or being too cute.

Now, it doesn't really matter which shade of white you go with. You could go with bone, pale nimbus, eggshell, or whatever else floats your boat.

As for the ink, I am not sure where you'd go about sourcing midnight blue, but if you can find some, and you really think it's worth the price and hassle, then go for it. IMO, sourcing and using nonstandard printer inks is not worth the expense. Also, anything too differentiated from basic black is going to look strange and/or be hard to read. So I just don't see the investment in time or money being wortwhile here, and if anything, I see the potential risk as quite high. Unless you're talking about making the font on the computer midnight blue, and then printing with standard inkjet or color laser ink? Either way, I see the potential downside outweighing any potential upside.

Finally, an unfortunate fact of life: chances are that you're going to be submitting most of your resumes over email these days. If not, your original hard-copy submission will be taken and xeroxed and passed around -- thus negating all of the hard work that has gone into selecting the ink and the paper.
smile.gif
Definitely make the effort to print your resume on good stock if you're handing it off in an initial interview. But beyond that point, the version of your resume most people see will be the xeroxed or hastily printed copy version.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, I think this is reinforcing that I made a decent decision by going with a paper thats very subtly off-white, so much so that you cant tell its off-white until comparing it to white. Didnt go too thick ether, just went with the recommended thickness for txt not for a coversheet.

GLD, good point! I dont want anyone to think i'm trying to hard, or making up for something, I just want to look professional.

I spent a little time last night comparing shades of white, and the closest to white i could get was the best choice in my eyes.

As mentioned prior this is in addition to the resume' submission over the internet that the recruiter has probably read already, its just been my experience that its helpful to have a few hard copies on hand, that I can control where they came from.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd be remiss if I didn't include this, btw:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Definitely make the effort to print your resume on good stock if you're handing it off in an initial interview.
I really disagree with this but that's just one man's opinion

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Do you prefer printer paper?

Yes. Cheap printer paper. No fancy fonts (Times is fine), no fancy borders or decorations - all about content.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
GLD, good point! I dont want anyone to think i'm trying to hard, or making up for something, I just want to look professional.
You are trying to hard by doing this. Print if off in black ink with whatever plain, white paper is in your printer. That is professional.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I really disagree with this but that's just one man's opinion

You disagree with using good paper in an initial handoff? You're suggesting plain printer paper, then?

Obviously you don't want to stray too far into cuteness/trying-too-hard territory, but come on, you've at least got to look like you're taking the process seriously. I'm not suggesting super-thick card stock or anything; it's got to be relatively subtle. But stepping up a notch in quality from plain printer paper is a sign of the right amount of effort.

To your other point, I don't think anyone's suggesting fancy bordering or fonts. At least I'm not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads