1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

interview on monday - don't have a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mikeross, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mikeross

mikeross Member

applied for a job Thursday, had a phone interview Friday, and now a one-on-one Monday at noon. the only thing is that I left my two suits at college and not going back to get them until later next week.

I was going to buy a new suit or two anyway.

two options:
    1. wear grey slacks (tailored), white shirt, tie (no jacket)
    2. buy a new suit, wear that

problem with 2 is that I will not have time to get it tailored (shopping tomorrow (Sunday), interview Monday)

I would much rather wear a suit, but would it be worth it if it will look bad?
    where can I get a decent suit that will have the best fit off the rack?

I am 5'10.5 and 155lbs (skinny, athletic).
    The position is doing accounting work at a small, local real estate company (4 managers)

thank you very much

edit: I am near Philadelphia and the King of Prussia Mall (many options: Nordstrom, J. Crew, Banana Republic, H&M, Macy's, Men's Warehouse, JoS A. Bank, etc., but I don't want to spend much right now because this is my parents' money and I feel bad. will upgrade to nicer suits when I start earning money)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  2. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Couldn't hurt to see if any of those suits fit well off the rack.

3. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Since you can't really get the suit tailored, would it be problematic to find the best fitting suit, hem the trousers, go to the interview, un-hem the trousers, and return the suit?

For the suit, I would check on J. Crew, Banana Republic, H&M, and all the brands that target the young, skinny, athletic demographic. It's your best shot at finding a suit that fits without tailoring.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  4. GBR

GBR Senior member

What business? A suit may not even be necessary for a low end job for which a student is a candidate. You would not be thought of any the less if you told the truth - that the short notice of the interview prevented you from collecting your suits. It is you that is being interviewed not your clothes.

5. mikeross

mikeross Member

basically an accounting job at a small real estate company (they own 5 apartment buildings)

6. Blamm

Blamm Well-Known Member

I agree. Likely that even if you find a suit - it won't fit the way you want it to and you'll be less than 100% confident wearing it. Better to wear something you are comfortable and confident in - and focus on the interview and position. My $0.02

7. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Instead of a suit, see if you can find a blazer that fits reasonably well without tailoring.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

On the basis of this and other comments - go for Option 1 in your original post and simply explain why you do not have a suit to hand.

9. mikeross

mikeross Member

I've thought about this, but never purchased a blazer before. What would I look for? The only I blazer own is navy blue and I've only ever worn it with khakis to fraternity events. My pants are a darker grey, what color blazer with that? or are you suggesting khakis and a blazer? do you have a picture I could look at?

thank you

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Darker grey trousers and a navy blazer would be fine.

11. amemovox

amemovox Well-Known Member

Good luck whatever you choose to wear.

There is a larger lesson here whether you get the job or not. Be prepared!
    The old saying "dig your well before you are thirsty" applies here.

12. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

Blazer is the way to go. Don't worry about sleeve length - without tailoring it will probably be too long but most people won't know.

Don't bring up why you don't have a suit in the interview - just put it out of your mind.

13. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Go to your local Nordstrom or Brooks Brothers. They usually have "rush" tailoring.

14. mikeross

mikeross Member

went to a bunch of places today. Brooks Brothers and Nordstrom didn't have anything under around $800. Banana Republic had a couple suits, but needed to be tailored. H&M, JoS A Bank, and a couple other places had nothing charcoal or navy with no stripes in my size (38R, 30/32 pants approx). Went to Macy's and bought this:
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...k-texture-slim-fit?ID=647664&CategoryID=17788
    fit me the best off the rack. the label says "color: black", I know you are supposed to avoid black, but it looks charcoal, so I don't know. website says "black texture". thoughts?

going to try it on again tonight and double check it. maybe take a couple pics and see what you guys think

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  15. dorolf07

dorolf07 Well-Known Member

True.

16. mikeross

mikeross Member

just an update. wore a light blue tie and new shoes and the suit looked really good. only problem was that I was about 2, maybe 3 steps overdressed for the interview. the job is well-paying and what I want to do, but the company is small and everyone there was dressed in khakis and polo shirts. felt kind of awkward. oh well!

17. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

It's rare that wearing a suit to an interview will hurt you. My company is on the casual side but a candidate is expected to wear a suit even if those interviewing are not

18. razl

razl Senior member

Same here. My company is officially "office casual" (while I overdress). If you show up to an interview in "office casual" you're going to the bottom of the pile (or straight to the garbage) - not just by me but by any manager (even if they are in "office casual"). We expect candidates to show up at their best, otherwise we presume they don't want the job as bad as the person who does. It's a small thing, but then again with a sea of candidates, it's the little things...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012