• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

interview on monday - don't have a suit

mikeross

Reaction score
applied for a job Thursday, had a phone interview Friday, and now a one-on-one Monday at noon. the only thing is that I left my two suits at college and not going back to get them until later next week.

I was going to buy a new suit or two anyway.

two options:
1. wear grey slacks (tailored), white shirt, tie (no jacket)
2. buy a new suit, wear that

problem with 2 is that I will not have time to get it tailored (shopping tomorrow (Sunday), interview Monday)

I would much rather wear a suit, but would it be worth it if it will look bad?
where can I get a decent suit that will have the best fit off the rack?

I am 5'10.5 and 155lbs (skinny, athletic).
The position is doing accounting work at a small, local real estate company (4 managers)

thank you very much

edit: I am near Philadelphia and the King of Prussia Mall (many options: Nordstrom, J. Crew, Banana Republic, H&M, Macy's, Men's Warehouse, JoS A. Bank, etc., but I don't want to spend much right now because this is my parents' money and I feel bad. will upgrade to nicer suits when I start earning money)

Last edited:

Breedlove

Reaction score
Couldn't hurt to see if any of those suits fit well off the rack.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you can't really get the suit tailored, would it be problematic to find the best fitting suit, hem the trousers, go to the interview, un-hem the trousers, and return the suit?

For the suit, I would check on J. Crew, Banana Republic, H&M, and all the brands that target the young, skinny, athletic demographic. It's your best shot at finding a suit that fits without tailoring.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What business? A suit may not even be necessary for a low end job for which a student is a candidate. You would not be thought of any the less if you told the truth - that the short notice of the interview prevented you from collecting your suits. It is you that is being interviewed not your clothes.

Blamm

Reaction score

What business? A suit may not even be necessary for a low end job for which a student is a candidate. You would not be thought of any the less if you told the truth - that the short notice of the interview prevented you from collecting your suits. It is you that is being interviewed not your clothes.

I agree. Likely that even if you find a suit - it won't fit the way you want it to and you'll be less than 100% confident wearing it. Better to wear something you are comfortable and confident in - and focus on the interview and position. My $0.02

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of a suit, see if you can find a blazer that fits reasonably well without tailoring.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

basically an accounting job at a small real estate company (they own 5 apartment buildings)

On the basis of this and other comments - go for Option 1 in your original post and simply explain why you do not have a suit to hand.

mikeross

Reaction score
Instead of a suit, see if you can find a blazer that fits reasonably well without tailoring.
I've thought about this, but never purchased a blazer before. What would I look for? The only I blazer own is navy blue and I've only ever worn it with khakis to fraternity events. My pants are a darker grey, what color blazer with that? or are you suggesting khakis and a blazer? do you have a picture I could look at?

thank you

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've thought about this, but never purchased a blazer before. What would I look for? The only I blazer own is navy blue and I've only ever worn it with khakis to fraternity events. My pants are a darker grey, what color blazer with that? or are you suggesting khakis and a blazer? do you have a picture I could look at?

thank you

Darker grey trousers and a navy blazer would be fine.

amemovox

Reaction score
Good luck whatever you choose to wear.

There is a larger lesson here whether you get the job or not. Be prepared!
The old saying "dig your well before you are thirsty" applies here.

jt10000

Reaction score
Blazer is the way to go. Don't worry about sleeve length - without tailoring it will probably be too long but most people won't know.

Don't bring up why you don't have a suit in the interview - just put it out of your mind.

mikeross

Reaction score
went to a bunch of places today. Brooks Brothers and Nordstrom didn't have anything under around $800. Banana Republic had a couple suits, but needed to be tailored. H&M, JoS A Bank, and a couple other places had nothing charcoal or navy with no stripes in my size (38R, 30/32 pants approx). Went to Macy's and bought this:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...k-texture-slim-fit?ID=647664&CategoryID=17788
fit me the best off the rack. the label says "color: black", I know you are supposed to avoid black, but it looks charcoal, so I don't know. website says "black texture". thoughts?

going to try it on again tonight and double check it. maybe take a couple pics and see what you guys think

Last edited:

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

True.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads