• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Attire for a 15-year-old boy

Bentley

Reaction score
My 15-year-old son has a job interview coming up in a couple of weeks for a job at Canada's Wonderland (a local amusement park) working in Food and Beverages. It would be a pretty cool summer job for him if he is able to get it.

He received a standard form e-mail from Canada's Wonderland inviting him to the interview and at the end of the e-mail it stated specifically: "Don't forget to dress to impress."

My son has asked me for advice on what to wear. I was thinking perhaps a navy blue blazer with a tie and dress pants...or perhaps just dress pants, shirt, tie, and a pullover sweater.

I'm wondering what others think?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me interview is Suit + Tie at any age. Canada may be a touch different to the UK, but it never hurts to over dress.

Mac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
For me interview is Suit + Tie at any age. Canada may be a touch different to the UK, but it never hurts to over dress.
This. Even just a shirt, tie and dress trousers would be fine. Avoid school trousers and school shirts and make sure his shoes are polished.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderland? Suit and tie? What ever you're smoking isn't legal.

Clean. No ripped jeans. No offensive risky tshirts.

Dress pants,shirt and sweater is likely going to be better then 99% of the other kids.

Of course maybe things have changed since I got hired at wonderland 30 years ago.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Wonderland? Suit and tie? What ever you're smoking isn't legal. Clean. No ripped jeans. No offensive risky tshirts. Dress pants,shirt and sweater is likely going to be better then 99% of the other kids. Of course maybe things have changed since I got hired at wonderland 30 years ago.
+1 Dockers and a sweater or polo shirt, depending on the weather. Tops.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
considering it's for a food stand at an amusement park, +1 to shined shoes, neatly pressed khakies, and a button up shirt with sweater. more then adequete.

good luck to him!

Logan

Reaction score
I'm sure your son will be fine. Nice clothes that fit and he is good to go.

A couple years ago there was a group of 4 of us that went to Wonderland, when my friend and I were waiting for the women to get off the ride we saw two guys both named Jamal. They both looked like they were wearing clothes about 3 sizes too big. If they can get hired there is no reason your son can't.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get him to have a shower and a shave then wear a decent pair of trousers and what Americans call a dress shirt. Tie probably optional for this type of low rated establishment. Decent clean shoes that shine not trainers or worse.

If he uses his back pockets, fine but make sure he buttons them - attention to minor detail is important.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I would say those are exactly the outfits I put my boys in when they were 15 for with jackets and ties and khaki or gray pants, but only for weddings and funerals. For a job like this I think a button-down with a tie and khakis (non-school uniform kind) would be find. Jacket is pushing it IMO.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
+1

Dockers and a sweater or polo shirt, depending on the weather. Tops.

I agree. When they say "Dress to impress" for that age group for that sort of a job, they just want you presentable, i.e. wash your hair, no ripped jeans, something better than a t-shirt.

tacobender

Reaction score
Dockers/Khaki Pants + Button down shirt or polo should put him light years ahead of the stoner kids showing up in some sort of band t shirt and ripped jeans.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume he will not actually be required to dress formally for the job. He should dress like a neatly presented 15yo kid. Smart casual the way to go. A nice clean pair of jeans/chinos, a button down casual shirt, and a nice clean pair of shoes. Depending on weather, a pullover sweater would also look nice.

Most kids would rock up with louder low hanging baggy jeans, sneakers (some nike or reebock abomination), and a baggy t-shirt about 3 times too big.

Put him in a suit or sport jacket / dress pants combo if you want. I think though by dressing smart they mean "dont turn up in a wife beater with jeans so low I can see your butt crack".

Bentley

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice. This has been really helpful.

I'll let you know what we decide and how the interview goes.

Any other thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

smile.gif

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told a story about a kid who wore a suit and tie to the job fair at Six Flags over Texas, and the different departments fought over him for a week. To say the least, he didn't end up in the food department.

From my personal experience, I once met with the owner of a valet company at a bar for a job interview for a position as a valet. I wore a sport coat, trousers and a tie and got a position as a manager instead.

Basically, wearing a suit and tie will only open up opportunities, not limit them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads