• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Age Observation

mrchapel

Reaction score
Compared to some, I am considered "young" to be wearing suits and ties, etc. I can't go a day where someone at my work asks why I am "dressed up". People like to joke with me, "hey, going to a job interview?" to "going to a funeral?" or some other variation. My simple reply is no, just feel like dressing up.

But to me, it's not dressing "up" or dressing stylishly because I am not fashionable. I wear what I want to wear; you want to wear your polo shirts and docker pants, perfectly fine. I enjoy wearing suits. Perhaps I am in a time warp; but it seems like most people in my age group (21) could care less what they wear. I am wondering, does this ever change?

At what age did you start embracing your "sartoriality"? Every once in awhile several men in the office get together and wear a shirt and tie. Everyone looks good and compliments are handed around like a free round of beer, as it is a welcome change to polos/short sleeve monstosities and dockers/jeans I am sure this is the SF-AAAC Syndrome, because I have learned a great deal from here (although I only recently starting contributing, I lurked for at least a year), but at the same time have a hard time having to come up with a reason as to the way I dress. I don't feel I need one; everyone else feels I do.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has a lot to do with perception of suits being constricting, uncomfortable, conformist and low-key.
IMHO, a lot to do with lack of personal style and lack of understanding on how things should fit. A well fitting suit will not be uncomfortable, but try explaining THAT to people
wow.gif

atomicmrg

Reaction score
I would agree with you. I am 19 and many of my peers simply are blissfully unaware of most sartorial matters.

Like you, most of my coworkers at my summer jobs look at me strangely and ask why I wanted to dress up, or classmates at college will ask the same thing, even if I'm wearing only a buttondown shirt without a tie or jacket.

I think it is unfortunate, and like you I notice that when these other folks get dressed up, it is all smiles and compliments, yet no one appreciates those who dress well all the time.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
It has a lot to do with perception of suits being constricting, uncomfortable, conformist and low-key.
IMHO, a lot to do with lack of personal style and lack of understanding on how things should fit. A well fitting suit will not be uncomfortable, but try explaining THAT to people
wow.gif

That is very true. I sometimes get questioned; isn't that uncomfortable? No, because the suit fits, I was careful about my purchase. I'm a firm susbscriber to the ideal that because there are so many ill-fitting, fused pieces of garbage that pass as suits and are at a low price point (e.g. Target, Stafford, etc.), that it makes men shy away from wearing suits unless their job requires it, or they have a specific function that requires one.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
mrchapel, you can give people the same response that I give people when they ask me why I wear a dress shirt, trousers and a tie to work; because I enjoy it! I am one of the only ones who does this, and everybody thinks it's weird. I embraced my "sartoriality" when I was 23, which was two years ago. The most unfortunate thing about embracing your "sartoriality" is that when you go anywhere, you begin to notice is how poorly dressed people really are!
frown.gif

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
mrchapel, you can give people the same response that I give people when they ask me why I wear a dress shirt, trousers and a tie to work; because I enjoy it! I am one of the only ones who does this, and everybody thinks it's weird. I embraced my "sartoriality" when I was 23, which was two years ago. The most unfortunate thing about embracing your "sartoriality" is that when you go anywhere, you begin to notice is how poorly dressed people really are!
frown.gif

That is definitely true! Just today at lunch, a gentleman in front of me was dressed in a nice pair of trousers and a nice shirt -- but the fit was horrible. The shoulders did not fit properly, as they were sagging down towards the middle of his biceps. The shirt sleeves were bunched up towards the elbow, and the trousers were sagging at the waist and had a bit of a dramatic break that bunched up on the heel of his Rockports. If I have learned anything as a result of participating in this community, it is that clothes that fit well look the best.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think it's easier to wear a suit in 2006 at 18-24 then it was, say, 10 years ago. Suits are making a renaissance, proven by the spike in suits sales over the past couple seasons...and more young guys want to wear suits since all the "cool indie" bands are well sussed these days. I hope this continues for the next 10 years before the pendulum starts swinging back the other way. I was the same way at 24, wanting to wear a suit everyday...and did so with a **** you attitude.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I first started getting my suits and shirts MTM when I was working in the mailroom of a Wall St. private bank back in 1991 (granted it was only Mohan's and La Rukico!). I was in my first year of college. Early on I lived by the Oscar Wilde adage "Dress for the job you want to have, not the one you have" or something to that effect.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I first started getting my suits and shirts MTM when I was working in the mailroom of a Wall St. private bank back in 1991 (granted it was only Mohan's and La Rukico!). I was in my first year of college. Early on I lived by the Oscar Wilde adage "Dress for the job you want to have, not the one you have" or something to that effect.

I don't think that's Mr. Wilde. He'd be more likely to advise, "Ambition is the last refuge of the failure" or "Hard work is simply the refuge of people who have nothing whatever to do."

My favorite Wilde quote: "Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it's too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

tbabes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
Compared to some, I am considered "young" to be wearing suits and ties, etc. I can't go a day where someone at my work asks why I am "dressed up". People like to joke with me, "hey, going to a job interview?" to "going to a funeral?" or some other variation. My simple reply is no, just feel like dressing up.

Just curious, but what sort of work are you doing? Are you typically the most "dressed up" person at work?

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that even in luxe stores men who belong to AARP all wear ill-fitting polos, elastic waist short and sneakers. There must be a memo that comes out daily to them. Maybe it their attempt at reverse snobbery--you have to wear a suit but I can be a slob.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't worry - I am 35 and work in a professional office. I am embarrassed to have "outsiders" come in b/c you can't tell the professionals from the office staff. For what it is worth, I got 4 separate compliments from older women in the office yesterday who each lamented the "good old days" when people dressed up to go to work. keep your fingers crossed . . . . .

jayson

Reaction score
I am fairly young too and agree with your sentement that you get weird looks sometimes from your peers. Especially when you are only a few years out of college. Wearing a suit makes gives you more confidence though, and I think people tend to listen to you more when you talk as well.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I was in college, esp. freshman year, I wore a tie to work everyday. don't know why, just did. girls thought I was a senior and i bought liquor without a fake id or questions. so - yes it does pay to dress well.

JR_Rider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel

But to me, it's not dressing "up" or dressing stylishly because I am not fashionable. I wear what I want to wear; you want to wear your polo shirts and docker pants, perfectly fine. I enjoy wearing suits. Perhaps I am in a time warp; but it seems like most people in my age group (21) could care less what they wear. I am wondering, does this ever change?

At what age did you start embracing your "sartoriality"? Every once in awhile several men in the office get together and wear a shirt and tie. Everyone looks good and compliments are handed around like a free round of beer, as it is a welcome change to polos/short sleeve monstosities and dockers/jeans I am sure this is the SF-AAAC Syndrome, because I have learned a great deal from here (although I only recently starting contributing, I lurked for at least a year), but at the same time have a hard time having to come up with a reason as to the way I dress. I don't feel I need one; everyone else feels I do.

I feel your pain. I am 21 too, and hear the SAME thing. One of my friends tries to hate on me when he sees me dressed up, because he knows I'm flyer than he is. There's one thing I do know though, and that's you only get one first impression, and I promise you, a suit will make a good one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads