• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Age Observation

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR_Rider
I feel your pain. I am 21 too, and hear the SAME thing. One of my friends tries to hate on me when he sees me dressed up, because he knows I'm flyer than he is. There's one thing I do know though, and that's you only get one first impression, and I promise you, a suit will make a good one.

pardon my ignorance of youthspeak, but what does "hate on me" and "i'm flyer than he is" mean?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give students an earful if they are going to stand there in t -shirts and butt crack jeans and critique my clothes.
teacha.gif

alexpham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
pardon my ignorance of youthspeak, but what does "hate on me" and "i'm flyer than he is" mean?

"hating" on someone is judging and making fun of them. used in conjunction with the phrase "cock-blocking" often.

being "flyer" than someone is being cooler or being more stylish. as in "ma ***** is flyer than yours."
devil.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My older brother, a younger Cousin, and I all dressed in Suits one day to go shopping at the mall, we all looked good but on our way out some young girl (probably my age, im 21) said we looked like whores. this rasied a serious question. What kind of whores is this girl hanging around? Also we recieved many a strange look as Spokompton it is odd for someone to wear something more than a dirty old Tshirt and jeans or a Abercrombie Polo and shorts (depending on what side of town you are on). People probably just thought we were some Mofisioso.

I must note that my normal wear to work is a nice clean Graphic Tee and good quality jeans. I would never be able to wear a suit to my job and have to change when I get to and get off of work. (auto tech for just a little bit longer before I leave for the land of the rising sun)

clownmitts

Reaction score
I'm 29 and I know that most of my friends and I are starting to move into management positions. Amongst us, I've noticed that we spend a lot of time trying to learn about dressing properly, something a lot of my peers seem to ignore. I don't know what it is but there seem to be two groups of younger professionals these days - those that make an attempt to look professional and those who are satisfied to wear vendor golf shirts. I remember reading somewhere that there seems to be a renaissance in men's fashion these days and more and more men are making an effort.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tbabes
Just curious, but what sort of work are you doing? Are you typically the most "dressed up" person at work?

I work in the Accounting division of a large painting company that specializes in painting tract homes. And yes, I am the most dressed up. Even moreso than the owner of the company.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
My older brother, a younger Cousin, and I all dressed in Suits one day to go shopping at the mall, we all looked good but on our way out some young girl (probably my age, im 21) said we looked like whores.

I saw this a couple months ago at a mall. A group of 4 guys under 21, during the day on a saturday were walking around shopping all decked out in suits/ties. I must be a raging hypocrite because in general, I think it's great that kids under 21 want to look smart, but when I saw them my first reaction was they were 'trying too hard' and I couldnt help making fun of them with my gf, which is pretty lame of me since I despise the ultra casualness of the everyman's wear. Myabe it's because they were in a pack so it's like they all called each other to plan "suiting up" for the mall. They just looked like they were playing dress up, rather than just being well dressed.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I saw this a couple months ago at a mall. A group of 4 guys under 21, during the day on a saturday were walking around shopping all decked out in suits/ties. I must be a raging hypocrite because in general, I think it's great that kids under 21 want to look smart, but when I saw them my first reaction was they were 'trying too hard' and I couldnt help making fun of them with my gf, which is pretty lame of me since I despise the ultra casualness of the everyman's wear. Myabe it's because they were in a pack so it's like they all called each other to plan "suiting up" for the mall. They just looked like they were playing dress up, rather than just being well dressed.

Yes, wearing a suit to a desk job is great. Wearing a suit to the mall, or if you work in a lumberyard is silly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads