• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incheon, S. Korea!!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just accepted a job offer teaching English to first graders. I will be leaving at the end of March. The contract is for one year. I have done plenty of research on this city, but if anyone has more info, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure they give you a round trip ticket.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't this the place where the Marines made an amphibious AZZault?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Isn't this the place where the Marines made an amphibious AZZault?

Yes. Led by an Army man, McArthur. Turning point of the war and broke a long string of North Korean victories.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
Make sure they give you a round trip ticket.

Yep, I still have to set that up with them. But they are going to take care of it. They are also giving me free room and board.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
What company are you teaching with? Private or public? How much are they paying you? Not to be prying but you will get screwed if you aren't smart. Get everything in writing, read your contract well and know your rights.

Also, have you taught 1st graders before? 1st and 2nd graders are the most physically and emotionally draining of anybody to teach. That is a job I wouldn't take. They have almost zero knowledge of English, and are not even expected to begin learning until grade 3 of elementary school, so you will have to learn Korean if you want to get through to them. Basically, you will be a babysitter, singing songs and finding ways to entertain them. Good luck.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
What company are you teaching with? Private or public? How much are they paying you? Not to be prying but you will get screwed if you aren't smart. Get everything in writing, read your contract well and know your rights.

Also, have you taught 1st graders before? 1st and 2nd graders are the most physically and emotionally draining of anybody to teach. That is a job I wouldn't take. They have almost zero knowledge of English, and are not even expected to begin learning until grade 3 of elementary school, so you will have to learn Korean if you want to get through to them. Basically, you will be a babysitter, singing songs and finding ways to entertain them. Good luck.

I am teaching through ThinkBigJobs. I will be teaching for the public school district there. They are giving me 2.2M won a month, plus bonuses. It will be for the Immersion Program there and will teach a class size of 3-12 students. I am a first grade public school teacher for Philadelphia now, so hopefully the students in Korea won't be fist fighting in the middle of my class
laugh.gif

dizzhizz

Reaction score
i have nothing on incheon but for weekends i think it will be worthwhile coming into seoul.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Those class sizes sound great, I am jealous of that. 3-12 students are infinitely easier than 36.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Those class sizes sound great, I am jealous of that. 3-12 students are infinitely easier than 36.

Yea the company pressed on me to take on a 40+ student classroom with an aide. I would be out of my mind to take that job. For my first time teaching outside of the country, that would be too overwhelming. What are you teaching and where? How do you like it?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I am teaching english in a public elementry school, and conversational english with my girlfriend in our own private institute. It's easy work that's quite rewarding, as long as you put a lot into it. You get out what you put in, and the quality of your day depends largely on the receptiveness/mood of your students.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dizzhizz
i have nothing on incheon but for weekends i think it will be worthwhile coming into seoul.

Incheon is not the most exciting part of S.Korea when it comes to night life. I second the above to make your stay here more enjoyable.

Are you planning to get a car too?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Incheon is not the most exciting part of S.Korea when it comes to night life. I second the above to make your stay here more enjoyable.

Are you planning to get a car too?

Na no car. I'm planning on taking public transportation... less head ache that way. Any places I should go? Also, any good tailors in Incheon??

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I know Eason and I can both offer good advice (current as well). Specific questions about connections/companies/suggestions can probably be pm.

edit: oops, didn't read the whole thread.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eason:

I am a university student looking to teach English in Korea, do you have any recommendations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads