• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Image Consultant on Youtube.... Helps Guy Get a New Wardrobe With $3,000 and still looks bad in ter

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually think the video is fine, minuts the look at 13:00. I think it's a huge improvement. I'm not trolling. The express velvet jacket is pretty crappy though. He's actually one of the better style consultants out there.

He's one of the better style consultants out there? Say what? compared to whom? GTFO.

Its not like what he's done is rocket science. he slimmed the clothes down from sail-sized to almost fitting. whoopdedoo. Then, he shows you what, 3 outfits that almost anyone could put together. he doesn't show you the suits (which actually require a good fit) or a better look at any of the shoes (which all appeared crappy).

As mentioned before, I could have that guy looking another 2 orders of magnitude better for the same $3,000, and actually leave him with some higher quality items.

Come on...express?????

Not to mention, his little schtick is annoying and cheesy.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The client has never heard of SF, obviously. But give him credit for admitting that he needed help even if his image consultant is not the best. Also, the "client" in the video might be a shill to stir up business for Alpha. You never know.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone who would pay this CLOWN needs to have his head examined!!!!

Apparently the squeaky little twerp has been very successful at his "image consulting". Probably making loadsa $$$$$

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how'd you come to that conclusion?

He seems to have been around for a few years, doing his "image consulting" thing. So I assume that is his proper day job/business and not just a hobby.

There seems to be many paid professional image consulting business' out there, sure he's not the only one making a living from it.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually think the video is fine, minuts the look at 13:00. I think it's a huge improvement. I'm not trolling. The express velvet jacket is pretty crappy though. He's actually one of the better style consultants out there.

The after looks fine, albeit generic. But the quality of the items is not good and the price is much too high.

On the other hand, it is a lot of work. And some people here will still complain about yours truly.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was that horrible. Not a fan of Express at all, but it fits within his budget. $3000 is a fairly limited amount of money to spend, considering many on this forum would spend ~ $800-1000 on a suit, $500+ on shoes, and another $500+ on an overcoat alone, leaving very little left for building an entire wardrobe.

Reaction score
It seems like hes the type of guy to prey on people with low self esteem and make them feel like they're going to be a whole new person after hes done with them. He's very charismatic and very sure of himself and from the video it seems like the people who he "helps" are looking to aquire both those traits. I think hes selling hope and a new found self esteem with a side of style.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was that horrible. Not a fan of Express at all, but it fits within his budget. $3000 is a fairly limited amount of money to spend, considering many on this forum would spend ~ $800-1000 on a suit, $500+ on shoes, and another $500+ on an overcoat alone, leaving very little left for building an entire wardrobe.

Instead of making a rather abrupt $3,000 clothing purchase, he could have spread the purchases over a year, waited for sales, and learned more about proper fashion during that time period than just leaving it to some image consultant. I am a recent college grad who joined the working world and have updated my wardrobe over the past 6 months (not done yet), and I've done it by slowly making purchases and looking for sales. Don't get me wrong, my new wardrobe doesn't have any Britoni suits or T&A dress shirts, but there are a lot of quality pieces and I've been able to keep costs low by being patient. Instead of buying a boatload of ****** express dress shirts, he could have waited for the BB semi-annual sale and gotten some decent quality dress shirts at a great price point. Heck, I just got a BB Black Fleece suit during their BF sale the other day for $400 that is originally $1,600...it's about patience and looking for deals. Of course, I realize that you're probably never going to find "deals" for certain items, say a Belvest or Oxxford suit.

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that for the average customer of a style consultant, they're looking to just buy a whole new wardrobe at once. I guess they expect it to be like those makeover videos.

It takes a long time and lots of work to figure out your own personal style by yourself. Even with styleforum, it's not as easy as following a guide and getting what other people say you should get. Also, if you want to do it on the cheap it takes so much more time and effort. It's next to impossible to get most staple items that may work really well for you on sale.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I skipped through it. I think the guy got good advice on his hair cut and more fitted shirts. The sweater was an improvement too. Had the jeans been dark and a bit more fitted he could have really looked great.

All in all he did make some good steps forward, even if it isn't perfect.

As far as a consultant goes, so many guys are not just clueless but actually afraid to ask another dude about clothing advice. And, many have had bad advice from girlfriends and moms already. So, an image consultant may not be a bad way to go after all.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that for the average customer of a style consultant, they're looking to just buy a whole new wardrobe at once. I guess they expect it to be like those makeover videos.
It takes a long time and lots of work to figure out your own personal style by yourself. Even with styleforum, it's not as easy as following a guide and getting what other people say you should get. Also, if you want to do it on the cheap it takes so much more time and effort. It's next to impossible to get most staple items that may work really well for you on sale.

Some people might expect that. On the other hand, there's a gray area between instant 'makeover' and trying to go it alone (or with the limited help from static sources and people on forums). The strategy here is to identify problems, point to retailers and basics (that meet budgets, personality traits, etc.), and show what minefields to avoid. The last part might be best, because people who don't know much about style tend to waste a lot of money while trying to upgrade.

Last edited:

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
Instead of making a rather abrupt $3,000 clothing purchase, he could have spread the purchases over a year, waited for sales, and learned more about proper fashion during that time period than just leaving it to some image consultant..

This. Amongst other incredibly valid points.

To the victim's (err, client's) credit, if he truly like's AlphaM(istake)'s style of near-Affliction grade jeans and poor mockery of other Colin Farrell style disasters, then good for him for choosing this abomination to make him over. However, in all other regards, this is akin to an obese person choosing a slightly less obese person for personal training. And then, of course, having that slightly less obese person rake you over the coals for ridiculous sums of money in the name of mediocre returns. Step in the right direction? Yes. ROI? low to extremely low. But kudos for admitting he needs help and seeking it out. Someone should link to this thread/threak on his website or on the youtube page and see if our friend the style consultant wishes to chime in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads