• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm steamed: Half-canvassed Jos A Bank suit is fused and bubbling

magreen

Reaction score
By coincidence I just deconstructed a Jos A Bank suit and the fusing definitely goes all the way up the chest to the shoulder seam and the canvas sits over it only to add heft in the chest. Do you have a pic of the bubbling?
Thanks for your thread--I've been reading it with interest. I unfortunately didn't take a picture of the bubbling. After the tailor pressed it with high heat, it actually went back together better than I expected. I wore the suit this weekend and it didn't look half bad.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your thread--I've been reading it with interest.  I unfortunately didn't take a picture of the bubbling.  After the tailor pressed it with high heat, it actually went back together better than I expected.  I wore the suit this weekend and it didn't look half bad.

dude.........you got a LOT of mileage out of a $250 suit..........whats the big deal?

All things have a shelf life eventually.........move on and let it go.

Seems like you salvaged the garment, no?

magreen

Reaction score
Well let's be clear. I paid my tailor $130 when I bought it to custom tailor it to fit me. He modified the jacket's chest, waist, and padding in the shoulders, in addition to finishing the sleeves (and cuffing the pants and adjusting their waist and seat). Looking back on it, that was a waste on a suit that isn't going to last and hardly survived an ordinary cleaning.

Last edited:

starro

Reaction score
Well, if he had to modify the chest and shoulders, then it probably didn't fit you at all, meaning you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. At this point, your options are:

1. Try to get your money back from Jos A Bank
2. Consider it a life lesson: Never buy investment pieces from the likes of JAB

Last edited:

Alpha11

Reaction score

I would take the trouser to dry clean . Bring the jacket to a good tailor , ask him to remove the stain spot and have a good iron press .

The 1818 model OTR Brooks Brothers suit is not fused but rather stitched by hand however, it is half canvas. Only their golden fleece suits are full canvas and you will not be getting one of those for 250.00.

Remember if it is too good to be true it usually is especially a 250.00 suit.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 1818 model OTR Brooks Brothers suit is not fused but rather stitched by hand however, it is half canvas. Only their golden fleece suits are full canvas and you will not be getting one of those for 250.00.

Remember if it is too good to be true it usually is especially a 250.00 suit.

The half canvas in an 1818 suit may well be stitched in versus glued in but I'm virtually certain they still have a fusible. My basis for saying this is that I have several 1818 suits and odd jackets, some of which are minimally lined to the point that I can peek into the garment and have a look at the construction, in particular the fusible.

magreen

Reaction score
According to this article there are two types of half-canvassed suits. You got the lesser of the two variations.
Hope this helps
http://www.sartorialjournal.co/2016/07/25/canvassing-the-differences-explained/
Fantastic article! Thank you--that's just what I was looking for.

Interesting that it states that, even regarding the lesser type of half-canvassed suit that includes fusing, that the "Potential for rippling or bubbling is somewhat mitigated due to the canvassing – thus, promoting greater longevity than mere fusing."

I would surmise this depends on the quality of the glue, etc., which is where the JAB suit fell short.

Does anyone know which RTW half-canvassed suits are of the superior floating half-canvas variety?

Last edited:

Caleb M

Reaction score
I believe SuitSupply is of the superior half-canvass variety, they advertise as not having glue in their suits.

starro

Reaction score
I believe SuitSupply is of the superior half-canvass variety, they advertise as not having glue in their suits.

They do say their chestpiece is stitched in. But they definitely have glue on the bottom (for their half-canvassed), and the glue probably runs all the way up to the top as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads