1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I'm steamed: Half-canvassed Jos A Bank suit is fused and bubbling

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by magreen, Sep 15, 2016.

1. EzraPaul

EzraPaul Senior Member

By coincidence I just deconstructed a Jos A Bank suit and the fusing definitely goes all the way up the chest to the shoulder seam and the canvas sits over it only to add heft in the chest. Do you have a pic of the bubbling?

2. Orsini

Orsini Distinguished Member

3. Hifilover

Hifilover Senior Member

Over time, won't the jacket and trousers fade at a different rate? 
    Even wear as a suit , the trouser will wear out faster. One solution is to have 2 trousers.

4. magreen

magreen Member

Thanks for your thread--I've been reading it with interest. I unfortunately didn't take a picture of the bubbling. After the tailor pressed it with high heat, it actually went back together better than I expected. I wore the suit this weekend and it didn't look half bad.

5. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

dude.........you got a LOT of mileage out of a $250 suit..........whats the big deal?

All things have a shelf life eventually.........move on and let it go.

Seems like you salvaged the garment, no?

6. magreen

magreen Member

Well let's be clear. I paid my tailor $130 when I bought it to custom tailor it to fit me. He modified the jacket's chest, waist, and padding in the shoulders, in addition to finishing the sleeves (and cuffing the pants and adjusting their waist and seat). Looking back on it, that was a waste on a suit that isn't going to last and hardly survived an ordinary cleaning.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

7. starro

starro Senior Member

Well, if he had to modify the chest and shoulders, then it probably didn't fit you at all, meaning you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. At this point, your options are:

1. Try to get your money back from Jos A Bank
    2. Consider it a life lesson: Never buy investment pieces from the likes of JAB

8. Caleb M

Caleb M Member

9. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior Member

The 1818 model OTR Brooks Brothers suit is not fused but rather stitched by hand however, it is half canvas. Only their golden fleece suits are full canvas and you will not be getting one of those for 250.00.

Remember if it is too good to be true it usually is especially a 250.00 suit.

10. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

The half canvas in an 1818 suit may well be stitched in versus glued in but I'm virtually certain they still have a fusible. My basis for saying this is that I have several 1818 suits and odd jackets, some of which are minimally lined to the point that I can peek into the garment and have a look at the construction, in particular the fusible.

11. magreen

magreen Member

Fantastic article! Thank you--that's just what I was looking for.

Interesting that it states that, even regarding the lesser type of half-canvassed suit that includes fusing, that the "Potential for rippling or bubbling is somewhat mitigated due to the canvassing – thus, promoting greater longevity than mere fusing."

I would surmise this depends on the quality of the glue, etc., which is where the JAB suit fell short.

Does anyone know which RTW half-canvassed suits are of the superior floating half-canvas variety?

12. magreen

magreen Member

So considered.

13. Caleb M

Caleb M Member

I believe SuitSupply is of the superior half-canvass variety, they advertise as not having glue in their suits.

14. starro

starro Senior Member

They do say their chestpiece is stitched in. But they definitely have glue on the bottom (for their half-canvassed), and the glue probably runs all the way up to the top as well.

15. Despos

Despos Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored