• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Following the groupthink here, there's no question that a hippo is vastly more versatile than a black suit.

Never underestimate the versatility of a pet hippo!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never underestimate the versatility of a pet hippo!

Cross post from WYHI:

Is this considered a pet hippo?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cross post from WYHI:

Is this considered a pet hippo?

ouch...........and all these years I was led to believe that wearing black makes you appear slimmer. Imagine if she wore another color??

To the OP............get the black solid suit and post pics!!

Steve Papas

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Get a solid black suit. If anyone gives you an evil look, ask them if he is SF member. The rest of the world will not care. I own two black suits, one solid, one with faint pinstripes. They are the suits I get the most compliments on.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, a black herringbone Canali for 349$ on sale? It's been in the store for ages, and it fits me quite well.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a reason it's been in the store forever. What good is a black herringbone? If you're going to go black (which I think is a bad choice to begin with), at least go solid black and take advantage of the clean starkness. Herringbone would make it look even worse.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

own two black suits, one solid, one with faint pinstripes.  They are the suits I get the most compliments on. 

How did you find one in tweed?

I owned a black suit once. Didn't like the way it looked on me. Wore it once and purged it from my wardrobe.

Last edited:

pickleweed

Reaction score
this is so ridiculous.

the correct answer here is - "ok"

i understand that the black suit is the bastard stepchild of suits, but lets be realistic here. lets go through the checklist of why people are typically told not to buy a black suit

he's got other colors covered.
he wants one, just to have one
he plans on wearing it to funerals.

and people are STILL give him problems for it. we have no idea of his complexion, the quality of the suit to be purchased, the OP's body structure....nothing.
what more does he need to justify this? ill bet if he got hired as a funeral director people on here would STILL call for charcoal or navy instead. point blank, people are giving terrible advice based on what the OP has presented.

now, to answer the man's question - if you plan on wearing it to funerals, go with plain.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is so ridiculous.

the correct answer here is - "ok"

i understand that the black suit is the bastard stepchild of suits, but lets be realistic here.  lets go through the checklist of why people are typically told not to buy a black suit 

he's got other colors covered.
he wants one, just to have one
he plans on wearing it to funerals.

and people are STILL give him problems for it.  we have no idea of his complexion, the quality of the suit to be purchased, the OP's body structure....nothing.
what more does he need to justify this?  ill bet if he got hired as a funeral director people on here would STILL call for charcoal or navy instead.  point blank, people are giving terrible advice based on what the OP has presented.

now, to answer the man's question - if you plan on wearing it to funerals, go with plain. 

Trust me on this, he wanted the answers/abuse or he would not have posted here--he would just go out and purchase.

pickleweed

Reaction score
Trust me on this, he wanted the answers/abuse or he would not have posted here--he would just go out and purchase.

i tend to agree with you, the thread title is certainly calling for the attention. but nonetheless, i just don't understand the incessant unabashed hatred of a black suit. even when the guy asking knows/understands the rules and limitations and offers as much in his post.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you must buy a black suit, make it solid black and wear it to funerals, an evening cocktail party that is social and not work related or perhaps if you're dressing up as one of the Men in Black. Keep in mind that black is a bit severe looking in daylight and a decent number of funeral services are during the day. In this case, charcoal may be a better looking choice. There's a reason black is generally considered to be reserved for the evening.

I think that a full selection of suits and sport coats appropriately weighted for every season, a white dinner jacket, white tie rig, and morning coat are each more practical than a black suit (unless you are an undertaker or work in a profession where black is the color you're expected to wear), but that's just me. If you like the look, go for it. I can't think of a single time in my life where I wish I had a black suit, but obviously YMMV.

HughJ

Reaction score

i tend to agree with you, the thread title is certainly calling for the attention.  but nonetheless, i just don't understand the incessant unabashed hatred of a black suit.  even when the guy asking knows/understands the rules and limitations and offers as much in his post.  

What unabashed hatred? He got apathy from some and jokes from others, with a little bit of real world experience mixed in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads