• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm going to go ahead and post pics of my first Chan suit in this thread

drake

Reaction score
So this is my first suit from WW Chan, there are a few minor things I'll probably change on my next suit but overall I'm pretty happy with it. The cloth is Scabal Blacklabel I think, it's Wool & Cashmere blend in charcoal gray. So arrrghshfsfjhsfjsf, here are some pictures sorry about the ****** quality and my marsupialed poses, I just woke up and havn't shaved in like a week so I'm a mess, hahahha.

sdiecs9.jpg
side2oj6.jpg

Better shot of the wool and color:
sleevewa2.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is gorgeous, Drake. The only thing I would change is maybe lengthen the coat by .05". Even though it's shorter than I would like, you carry it off extremely well. Not everyone can do that!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabric looks very nice, and I like the functional sleeve buttons. However, isn't the jacket too short? Definitely seems that way particularly from the right-hand pose. Also the waist of the jacket seems abnormally high. Maybe it's just the pictures.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
I agree the jacket seems short. Button stance maybe a little high? Hard for me to tell. Very nice suit.

Cheers,
D

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Looks nice but I was taught the jacket should go down to where it would touch your hand if you slightly curled your fingers.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is a bit short and I think the shoulders are a bit broad, but other than that it looks excellent.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Looks nice but I was taught the jacket should go down to where it would touch your hand if you slightly curled your fingers.
Yes, that's a widely-used rule-of-thumb for jacket length. However, the guideline I like better (because it is independent of arm length) is the one that states that, if you measure the distance from the bottom of the jacket collar (at the back) to the floor, the jacket hem should be at about the midpoint of that distance. For me--at 6-ft. even--that distance is about 61 inches, which means that a jacket that is 30.5" from bottom of collar to hem is about right. Actually, about 1/2" to 1" longer than that looks best on me. Incidentally, for me, that length corresponds almost exactly to that suggested by the rule-of-thumb you mentioned, Artisan Fan.

pkincy

Reaction score
In fairness to Chan, I think the camera lens was positioned about knee height so the jacket probably appears a lot shorter than it is.

However it looks good on you. And if Thom Browne can do it and charge $6000+ for suits with jackets that are too short by conventional standards you can wear them also.

Thanks very much for the pictures. Very smart look.

Perry

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan

This is not a reliable method as arm length varies among individuals. Once a person has used the method Rodger described then they can make note of where the jacket hits their hand and use that as a future reference.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sdiecs9.jpg
side2oj6.jpg

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very classy!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think it looks great. Yes, it is shorter than "rule of thumb" but who cares....the length looks good on you without being outrageously a bum-freezer. I also like the higher button stance. It's definitely a modern looking cut/fit that updates the typical business uniform with a splash of edginess.

drake

Reaction score
To answer some of you guys comments, yeah the suit is shorter than it should be but I'm 22 and I'd rather wear a more more fashion forward suit than one that fits "correctly," I have the rest of my life for that. Plus I like short jackets and lots of cuff in general. Hahha, basically what Get Smart said.

The shoulders thing, well my shoulders are broad, so I don't know what else can really be done with respect to that.

Also, the suit is a three button, roll to 2-1/2 half, but you can't see the third button in the pictures.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

drake

Reaction score
Oh, I should also say this, Patrick and WW Chan were incredibly nice to me and ridiculously accommodating, I seriously can't recommend them enough. There awesome!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads