• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ill fitting suit

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Hello SF Suit Guru's. I tried on my first ever suit for the first time in a long time (Basically since I bought it) and found that it is not fitting well at all. It was bought back when I was in my final years of high school, when I was a bit heavier than the fine figure of a man I am today, and because of that the suit jacket is a chest 42, when I now wear a 40. The trousers are fitting fine, its the jacket that is the real problem.

My question to you all is whether it would be worth altering the suit or whether it would be expensive enough to warrant getting a new one. This suit was about 150-200 pounds if I remember right, quite a lot of cash, and obviously holds a certain sentimental value to me, being my first and all (You always remember.) Plus its a dark brown pinstriped number that makes me look dashing. So anybody have any idea how much a chest reduction of 2 inches would cost?

It seems to me that this kind of alteration would be expensive, but I may be wrong.

Cheers,
Kevin.

EDIT: I wrote I'll instead of ill in the title. Bollocks.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Maybe you could post a picture of you wearing the suit. There might be things other than the chest to factor in.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
taking in the sides only, the cost is reasonable. if the shoulders and chest must come in also, then its big bucks. oops sorry i mean pounds.
get an estimate from your tailor first. then apply that to the cost of a new suit.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Here's a couple of fit pics. This suit doesn't seem to photograph well, but I hope you can see what's right and what's wrong.

Front:
200809170006in5.jpg

Without Jacket:
200809170005zv3.jpg

From the side:
200809170008qu9.jpg

Now that I've tried it on, I may need to cuff it slightly, I had to pull the shirt cuffs down to see them properly.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyheyhey
Now that I've tried it on, I may need to cuff it slightly, I had to pull the shirt cuffs down to see them properly.

You might have to lengthen your right suit sleeve slightly because your right arm is slightly longer than your left. The sleeve length are fine; instead your shirt sleeves are slightly too short (right hand).

The suit looks a bit off balanced at the back, not enough fabrics to cover your slouching back shoulders. Jackets could be a tad bit shorter and quarters more opened.

But the only alteration I would do is to take in the jacket waist and add cuffs to your pants (or lengthen your pants slightly).

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Both buttons are buttoned.

Lol, I was leaning to one side when the photo was taken, my arms are quite symmetrical, thank you very much!

So the waist is where most of the problem lies? If I take the suit by the lapels when wearing it, you can tell there's a lot of excess fabric that needs to go.

There's about 2 inches of fabric on the inside of the hem, so that shouldn't be a problem. When I sit down its actually very noticeable.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like it is worth saving. Take it to a tailor and get an estimate on the price to take in the waist. Even if it is a bit big in the chest, that should help. While you are waiting for it to come back from the tailor, clean your room for God's sake!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads