• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you have nice clothes, do you need a nice car?

edmond

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
I was having a discussion with a friend the other day and he kept insisting that if you have nice clothing, you need to have a nice car to go with them or it just looks silly. I disagreed saying that while they usually go hand in hand, neither are mutually exclusive to each other. Having bought a new car, I have to admit that personally, it brings me so little joy that I regret purchasing it. Clothing on the other hand is much more exciting and interesting. Thoughts?

Better to have a good body to go with your good cloths.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmond
Better to have a good body to go with your good cloths.

Agreed. I'd rather have a healthy, fit body for a whole host of reasons. Clothing is an accessory. A cool car though is a man's guilty pleasure as is a motorcycle.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see this is not a "car love" enviroment ... I love good cars! the sound, the shape, the potential feeling it start to slipp under power
biggrin.gif
(slide control, need I say more) Have been to the nurburgring, spa, and le luc. (try to get to one of them at least twice a year) Have been pondering getting a new car, but feel I get to little from my existing one. So that money might go into property, I hear Its cheap in the US now ... I did however at one stage have the following: CitroenSM (as in the one with the Maserati engine) Would not say this was a trackable car, but it did have class. But it was to early, I was just 22. During my studies I had a VW 1303 S (aka Super beetle) Clean "german look" with big brakes and 140bhp, which was trackable with its light weigth (700kg) The SM got me more ladies than the 1303 ... (surprise) Then i went on to some 911's a 67 2.4, a 79 Carrera, and a 86turbolook (whaletail & widebody, not flatnose) and a replica speedster(vw engine, 85bhp 550kg). And then I bought a home ... I would at some stage love to get a: 73 2.7RS (probably the holy grail) 356 coup (if not Gmund, im not realistic here) These on a slightly different note would be more realistic at the moment: The sound is just beautifull, have yet to test drive one. Will have to see at one of the Italian club meets ... And I stil love the old Citroen, but it would have to ba a DS23pallas Oh well, just droning I guess. Later Speed

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ I test drove a Lotus Elise last year. Now I'm in love and don't know what to tell my fiancee.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
I see this is not a "car love" enviroment ...

I love good cars!
the sound,
the shape,
the potential
feeling it start to slipp under power
biggrin.gif

(slide control, need I say more)

Later
Speed

I'm in your camp.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^ I test drove a Lotus Elise last year. Now I'm in love and don't know what to tell my fiancee.
Have a couple of friends with one, a VERY trackable car. The balance is just so ... Its NICE. But as we live in this godforsaken contry they all have them as secondary cars. You cant really drive them in the winter. Here in Europe OPEL made the speedster, witch is not getting its share of love in the secondary market. So that might be a interesting car to have as a pure trackday. I can see why your girlfreind might find the Elise a less than obvious choice. Its a pain to get in and out of, and it does not realy have anny comfort. (You could argue that it would prove here love to you, might be a stretch i know) Speed

16520Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

"Hi, FiancÃ
00a9.png
e, I just bought an Elise."

Elise%2002.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Well, the good thing is that the Lotus cars aren't very costly even at retail.

They're costly in that that they're useless for a quarter of the year and can't carry more than a briefcase.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see this is not a "car love" enviroment ...

I did however at one stage have the following:
CitroenSM (as in the one with the Maserati engine)

Would not say this was a trackable car, but it did have class.
But it was to early, I was just 22.

What a machine. Do you remember the Alfa Montreal?

The SM got me more ladies than the 1303 ... (surprise)

No, not a surprise
smile.gif

I would at some stage love to get a:
73 2.7RS (probably the holy grail)

I've seen a prototype for Mr. Piech w/o the ducktail in orange(like German fire fighter cars) with velvet seats. Wow.

356 coup (if not Gmund, im not realistic here)

What do you mean by Gmund?

These on a slightly different note would be more realistic at the moment:

The sound is just beautifull, have yet to test drive one.
Will have to see at one of the Italian club meets ...

It is a great looking car. I also like the old Alfetta GTV and the GTV from the 80ies.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
73 2.7RS (probably the holy grail) I've seen a prototype for Mr. Piech w/o the ducktail in orange(like German fire fighter cars) with velvet seats. Wow. 356 coup (if not Gmund, im not realistic here) What do you mean by Gmund? These on a slightly different note would be more realistic at the moment: The sound is just beautifull, have yet to test drive one. Will have to see at one of the Italian club meets ... It is a great looking car. I also like the old Alfetta GTV and the GTV from the 80ies.
Gmund : 356 proto produced in 1948 (4) total 3years and aprox 40cars i think. Edit: http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...d/default.aspx Alfa, for a 80's alfa I realy like the RZ. Has the nice alfa roar. I realy like theBRERA to, but unfortunately it has a GM engine. Which is uninspiering and not responsive like the GTA series (147, 156) 911RS there is also a green metalic, that was the proto for development of the RS. I think it was Ferry's own.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Alfas but the GTV is one of my favorite cars of all time.

1969alfaromeogtv1750reduk1.jpg

Anyone stepping out of this, no matter what he's wearing, gets grosso rispetto from me. Especially if it's a perfect suit accessorized by scabbed-up knuckles.

And any man who can watch this without having every hair on their body stand on end, well, he and I probably wouldn't get along very well:

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lotus Elise is a nice sub compact sport car, however I'd have to go with the more classic Lotus Elite if I were to change sub compact sport cars. There's something about late 50s/early 60s cars that really make a lot of them moving works of art.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads