• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identifying a 'good' tailor

dufferin1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Being from Eastern Canada, its very difficult to find decent reliable tailors. We basically have 3 tailors in the province of New Brunswick with one being Greek, Italian and many, many Chinese/Korean's. I've had a negative experience with one tailor here as she ruined my suit jacket sleeve length by not properly aligning the buttons and so forth. The Greek tailor has trouble measuring as my other jacket came out much longer then what was measured. So that leaves me with an Italian tailor an hour away that I've never used or many of the Chinese 'tailors' around. My Baldessarini suit will most likely need to be altered a bit (sleeves,hemmed,taken in) when it arrives and I really, really do not want to have it screwed up. How do I identify a good tailor? I really would like to give this new Italian tailor a shot, but how do I go about seeing if he's any good? I know it sounds a bit amateurish but I rather get it right and let a good tailor/consumer relationship begin that be stuck with nothing. I do go to school in Toronto however I won't be back there until September and it may be a bit too long to wait until then.

If anyone could help/point me in the right direction id appreciate it. It is a learning experience but I think understanding it now at a young age (second year college) will pay dividends in the future. Coming from someone who is born in a province where most men wear "Moore's".

Mario

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, you'll never know if the tailor's goood unless you try him out I guess. Look for sample suits/shirts that the tailor has made, that's one way to gauge his skills.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Take something simple to alter and see his attitude and approach. If he does well and you like him on a small job he will probably do well with a bigger job. If he takes in the waist or hems a trouser sloppily, he probably won't get better.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Call Zachary Samuels in Moncton and speak with Jeff Garcia- ask him who he would recommend. (506) 383-8779

And tell him I said hi.

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way I gauge a tailor, which might not be the most cost efficient method, is I typically bring a cheaper work shirt and ask them to shorten the sleeves and take in the sides. If they do a good job with this, I start bringing them slightly more difficult jobs.

I don't know if attitude matters that much. One of the best tailors near me is really rude to customers but does some of the best work (although this might just be his culture since he isn't from the U.S.).

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think folks have said all one needs to know. The best method is word of mouth from folks you trust. If there's no way to get a reference, number two is start small and build up. If it were me, I'd start with hemming trousers, which is about as simple as you can get. Note how much break he/she allows at the initial fold-up and award bonus points if it's just right. Ask lots of questions, both about the instant job and clothing in general. If he/she doesn't know the difference between fused and canvassed, for example, go elsewhere. Ideally, find someone who also makes clothes, which is getting tough. My guy did at one time and still will, but I don't think he gets much work simply because there isn't much to be had.

SMatthews

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The way I gauge a tailor, which might not be the most cost efficient method, is I typically bring a cheaper work shirt and ask them to shorten the sleeves and take in the sides. If they do a good job with this, I start bringing them slightly more difficult jobs.
I don't know if attitude matters that much. One of the best tailors near me is really rude to customers but does some of the best work (although this might just be his culture since he isn't from the U.S.).

hey this is a good idea thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads