• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Hockey

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Habs pick up Spacek, 3 years at $11.5M. Wow, waste of money. I've watched him for the past 2 years in Buffalo, he has a great slap shot that never seems to find the net and he always looks like he is skating in mud.

Edit: and now they have added Hal Gill for 2 years @ $2.25M per.

Casual

Reaction score
The Rags signed Gaborik for five years at $7.5 million per. He's missed 103 games the past three years, ouch.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Habs absolutely stole the show today. First Gomez, which I still think was a terrible idea, but the Cammaleri deal at 5 years 30 mil is GREAT for them. Gionta will be a nice pickup as well, and they actually have some D-men. It'll be a different looking team, the problem is that it will be quite a small team. But there's plenty of skill there, interesting to see how everything pans out.

Canucks still no better off than last season, and minus one top 4 d-man. Looking a little sketchy at the moment.

Casual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Habs absolutely stole the show today. First Gomez, which I still think was a terrible idea, but the Cammaleri deal at 5 years 30 mil is GREAT for them. Gionta will be a nice pickup as well.

Agreed on Cammalleri and Gionta. I can't figure out the Devils, they now only have nine forwards. I imagine the Habs were not happy to see Komisarek end up so close in Toronto.

Casual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
Wow, the Flyers got Brian Boucher back for 1.85m for 2 years?!

Also Ian Laperriere for $1.16 mill per year leaving something like $3 to 4 million. I think they learned their lesson last year riding so close to the cap.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Maybe at half that

That's what I thought. I can't imagine why they didn't keep Tanguay.

Now Washington with Kovalev as well is going to be pretty sick offensively...

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to see what happens with Heatley...I'm stil holding out that my boys can get him in exchange for Redden or Rozi...but thats highly unlikely.

As far as the Canadiens go, I think they're making a mistake with the players they signed. In a division with Boston, Ottawa, Buffalo and a really rough and tough new look Toronto, I think they're just way too small. Gomez is overrated...he's not worth what his contract pays him (glad he's ff our books), Gionta may pick it up if he's apired with Gomer again, but thats if the fans in MTL don't expect what Ranger fans expected from him. I still see him as a flash in the pan. Teams have figured out how to shut down defensively since the first year of the "new" NHL. He will be lucky to score 25. Cammilerri same thing.

I love what the Leafs are doing. Komiserik is a great player, and I ove his grit. Colton Orr is a Brian Burke kind of guy and I think they havea few more things up their sleeve for the off season.

I can't see Gaborik making much of a difference in NY, not for 7.5 million per.

The Flyers keep getting older and slower, but are moving back to the Flyers of old with Pronger's acquisition. The Ducks got some good players for him plus a pick...nice work there.

The Devils could field their farm team and they'll do all right. That frachise amazes me how they keep winning. Maybe Tony Soprano visits opponents locker rooms before the games in Newark...who knows.

I'd hate to see the Isles move...but the Hempstead gov't is really dragging their feet on a project that would benefit Nassau greatly...theyd need to totally overhaul the county's infrastructure system though. Hempstead Tpk couldn't handle all that, and I think thats what their main concern is.

I'd be curious to hear what you guys think of Crosby though. I don't think he's nearly worth all the hype he gets. Think OV is 10 times the player and leader. All this media bull **** calling him the next one...without Malkin, and officials bending over backwards to his every whim, he's an above average player at best. I see him having a career more like Joe Sakic (who is great, but never the league's crown jewel) that Gretzky or Lemieux. There are five guys in the league who I'd have before him on my team. Ovechkin, Malkin, Iginla, Zetterberg, Luongo

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Gaborik can make a difference, if he stays healthy and plays like he did before he got hurt. If that happens, you have an goal scoring talent who can measure up to Malkin and Ovechkin. He is actually that good. He's just made of glass.

I'd be curious to hear what you guys think of Crosby though. I don't think he's nearly worth all the hype he gets. Think OV is 10 times the player and leader. All this media bull **** calling him the next one...without Malkin, and officials bending over backwards to his every whim, he's an above average player at best. I see him having a career more like Joe Sakic (who is great, but never the league's crown jewel) that Gretzky or Lemieux. There are five guys in the league who I'd have before him on my team. Ovechkin, Malkin, Iginla, Zetterberg, Luongo
Disagree with literally everything you wrote here.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I agree with this for the most part. He is very over rated, or at least once was. There used to be the whole "next great one" thing but that fell apart when he couldn't distiguish himself beyond the other top-10 players. Gretzky demolished the competition, #2 in scoring was worlds behind (and perhaps back on Earth). Crosby is comfortably some place within the top-8 for the most part. He is far from above average and I think certainly top-10, but Malkin has just matured into the best player on that team.

The real interesting story is the Pens' record w/o Crosby - no worse at all, in fact significantly better when he is out of the line up. Just look at this year when he went down to rest his groin for 2 weeks, Malkin took charge and took the Pens from 10th in the East to a playoff spot and then to the Con Smythe trophy as the team won the Cup. Neither Malkin nor Crosby were stellar in the finals, but Crosby's 1 goal and 2 assists in 7 games?? Pitiful.

Still, IMO, Ovechkin is the best in the world. The energy, the speed, the fact that he keeps teams on edge at all times. I HATE it when my team plays the Caps.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I HATE it when my team plays the Caps.

Me too, but damn do I love watching him play, and have boat loads of fun.

Kovey to the Sens today, 2 years at 5 mill and the Rangers came to terms with Higgs (who I think I'll like A LOT)

So whats gonna happen with Heatley.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too, but damn do I love watching him play, and have boat loads of fun.

Kovey to the Sens today, 2 years at 5 mill and the Rangers came to terms with Higgs (who I think I'll like A LOT)

So whats gonna happen with Heatley.

That was a really scummy move on Alexi's part, to move to a rival team like that.... and the Sen's?! Really?! Heatley keeps wanting to say that he wants to move out west.... but no one is really giving offers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads