• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

businessman15

Reaction score

Here's the thing though; in today's society, simply putting on a blazer and pants that aren't jeans is considered "formal wear"/"too dressed up" by many. If we go by today's standards there is no good reason to ever don a dinner suit and unless your job requires it you can get by just fine with a single black suit worn at weddings and funerals.

"Dressing for the occasion" today doesn't hold the same meaning as it once did and more often than not only translates to "wear whatever you feel like it" (jeans, t-shirt and flip flops).

So you really have two choices - go with the rest of the flip flop slobs or say "fudge it" and dress any way you damn well please even if it means you will be considered over dressed.

However, for me being dressed in a suit and tie with a pocket square and cufflinks with a white shirt collar and cuffs is actually how I damn well please. I'm prepared to stand out and I am not dressed up. I am dressed well, if anyone says anything.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, for me being dressed in a suit and tie with a pocket square and cufflinks with a white shirt collar and cuffs is actually how I damn well please. I'm prepared to stand out and I am not dressed up. I am dressed well, if anyone says anything.

As long as you are happy about yourself dressing like Gordon Gekko...

MS13

Reaction score
Suits are worn in proper events and places. Can you imagine someone walking in malls with a nicely-ironed suit on?

Actually, I can. A lot of the higher end department stores have their male employees wear suits.

MS13

Reaction score
I love the Miami Vice look! I always have, I think it looks great. It could totally be done nowadays, but with different cuts in the suits; much smaller shoulder pads for one! I have both a white linen sportcoat and a white linen suit. I've worn the sportcoat a few times, but the suit I've only worn on a cruise to Bermuda last year and haven't worn it since. I'm not a fan of the idea that men's clothing, suits in particular, should always be dark and drab.
I would love to dress up more, including suits, but climate(I live in Miami, so I just had to comment), my lifestyle, and my job make it difficult. I'm a cook, and you just don't wear nice clothes in the kitchen, and when I'm not at work, I'm either lounging around the house, doing errands, gardening, or at the beach. And despite the photo above, for me its just too hot and humid most of the year to wear that kind of thing. In the winter its drier and cooler, but it's still warm, so wearing a sportcoat or suit is a bit too much clothing. Even linen or cotton. Suits originated in cooler climates.

MS13

Reaction score
You are completely right. Even funerals though have gotten more casual. At my uncle's funeral several years ago, I was the only one wearing a full suit and tie. The rest of the men just wore dress shirts, no ties, and dress slacks. True to the blue collar culture, some even had work/mechanic shoes on with their slacks! YIKES!

julius12

Reaction score
You don't have to dress up to dress well.

I'd love to suit up too once in a while, but suiting up everyday is not the norm (of the general population) nowadays. I too hate the over-"casualization" of clothing, but that's the world we live in now. Unless your job requires it, wearing a suit too often just makes you look like an odd and/or uptight dandy (even if you're not). It's just too affected and impractical to put on a tie when it's not required, or to wear a jacket/blazer when it's too warm (though I do wear a blazer at work when it's too cold, and I'm the only one who does). Sticking out as the overdressed guy is not masculine or sexy, and there is a risk of your outfit looking costume-y.

Besides, dressing well without using ties and blazers is more fun and challenging. If you lived in the time when people wore suits everyday, you can only stand out by getting a better fit, using better color coordination, or using accessories. But at a glance you would still be basically dressed the same way as everyone else. Nowadays we have so many options, and dressing well to stand out from the slobs wearing baggy clothes, ugly t-shirts, and flip-flops is a lot easier. I want to be known as the stylish guy, not the overdressed guy.

Vasco

Reaction score

You don't have to dress up to dress well.

I'd love to suit up too once in a while, but suiting up everyday is not the norm (of the general population) nowadays. I too hate the over-"casualization" of clothing, but that's the world we live in now. Unless your job requires it, wearing a suit too often just makes you look like an odd and/or uptight dandy (even if you're not). It's just too affected and impractical to put on a tie when it's not required, or to wear a jacket/blazer when it's too warm (though I do wear a blazer at work when it's too cold, and I'm the only one who does). Sticking out as the overdressed guy is not masculine or sexy, and there is a risk of your outfit looking costume-y.

Besides, dressing well without using ties and blazers is more fun and challenging. If you lived in the time when people wore suits everyday, you can only stand out by getting a better fit, using better color coordination, or using accessories. But at a glance you would still be basically dressed the same way as everyone else. Nowadays we have so many options, and dressing well to stand out from the slobs wearing baggy clothes, ugly t-shirts, and flip-flops is a lot easier. I want to be known as the stylish guy, not the overdressed guy.

Well said. I agree with you. Certainly more of an opportunity nowadays to stand out.

Robert Glenn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recommend you to buy yourself a good shirt with a collar comfortable to you and try to wear slim fit tie, hope it will not make your feel uncomfortable. Donning a suit without a necktie won't give you the look you are actually looking for!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^

You must be trolling!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suits are worn in proper events and places. Can you imagine someone walking in malls with a nicely-ironed suit on?

Actually, I can. A lot of the higher end department stores have their male employees wear suits.

You don't have to imagine. I wear a suit to the mall. Why not?

CTLION

Reaction score
I wear a suit everyday for work, and to be quite frank I enjoy wearing them. That being said, wearing a suit at home does not make sense to me, but that's just me. I rarely am seen with out a collared shirt, but a suit in the house for no occasion is too much for me.

Feyd Rautha

Reaction score
People are putting too much thought into this. If you wear a suit to Taco Hell, people aren't wondering why you wore a suit to Taco hell. They just see you looking good (hopefully) in a suit and go on about their lives. There are a million reasons why someone could be wearing a suit to any random place. Wearing a suit to random restaurant? Maybe it's an anniversary. Maybe it's a post interview celebration and you didn't have time to change. What idiot would sit there and judge you, and why would you care about that idiot? By the way, I doubt many women are looking down upon a man looking good in a suit. Sure, you may get the usual sports-obsessed slob looking down on you, but many women appreciate dress. That's why there are so many damn clothing stores for women because they notice! Nowadays women are increasingly in leadership positions over others. Times are always changing.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People are putting too much thought into this. If you wear a suit to Taco Hell, people aren't wondering why you wore a suit to Taco hell. They just see you looking good (hopefully) in a suit and go on about their lives. There are a million reasons why someone could be wearing a suit to any random place. Wearing a suit to random restaurant? Maybe it's an anniversary. Maybe it's a post interview celebration and you didn't have time to change. What idiot would sit there and judge you, and why would you care about that idiot? By the way, I doubt many women are looking down upon a man looking good in a suit. Sure, you may get the usual sports-obsessed slob looking down on you, but many women appreciate dress. That's why there are so many damn clothing stores for women because they notice! Nowadays women are increasingly in leadership positions over others. Times are always changing.

Perfect summary.

I often end up wearing a suit in some random place because I've just stopped by to pick up something or whatever. I'm certainly not going to go home and change into a casual outfit then go back to a supermarket if the supermarket is on the way home.

No-one looks, no-one cares, they take it for what it is, I'm sure.

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
People do judge. If it doesn't fit into the specific atmosphere, people will judge. Don't be 'suit guy', especially if you're under 30.

Edit: doh, just realized the OP was probably a joke

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads