• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to buy a typewriter.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please advise on reliable and classic models that are pretty inexpensive. Doesn't need to be portable; I would actually prefer a stationary.

There are some nice Smith-Coronas on eBay.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Please advise on reliable and classic models that are pretty inexpensive. Doesn't need to be portable; I would actually prefer a stationary.

There are some nice Smith-Coronas on eBay.

Just curious, why do you need one?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please advise on reliable and classic models that are pretty inexpensive. Doesn't need to be portable; I would actually prefer a stationary. .
here's a clue: Well, I pawned my ______ ________ And I went to meet my man He hangs out down on Alvarado Street By the Pioneer chicken stand
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Just curious, why do you need one?
Why do you need an old turn table to listen to music?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
here's a clue: Well, I pawned my ______ ________ And I went to meet my man He hangs out down on Alvarado Street By the Pioneer chicken stand
"Carmelita" is one of my fav Zevon's and I think that was the first time I heard of a Smith Corona. Problem solved
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Carmelita" is one of my fav Zevon's and I think that was the first time I heard of a Smith Corona. Problem solved
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I like the 1950s portables, but more for aesthetics, history and romance than anything else. They are remarkably well made machines.

I had a friend who was also a writer, who collected vintage typewriters - he could tell you what all the great works of the 20th century were written on and had a particular interest in war correspondents of the world wars.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't think that's a good analogy.
No? I like the aesthetics of an old typewriter and the typeface pressed into a sheet of heavy paper. I like the romance, history and heavy dose of nostalgia, though the technology may appear archaic & anachronistic to the digital youth of today.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Why do you need an old turn table to listen to music?

To listen to music in higher fidelity which sort of leads to the reason why I asked the question. I could not see the benefit from older keyboards. I know some writers still prefer them.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Get a typewriter.
Craft your correspondence.
Then scan the pages into your computer.
And email the resultant .pdf

Dontcha love technology?

v0rtex

Reaction score
I once had the thought that it would be wonderful to write my correspondence on a typewriter. Maybe the machinery would inspire me to write my first novel.

I scoured vintage stores and ended up buying an old manual typewriter. Carried it home. Set it up. Wrote a few glorious lines. Made a mistake. No backspace, so time to start again.

After about 20 minutes my fingers hurt and I had a sheet of paper covered in corrections and creases.

Went back to Microsoft Word. Put typewriter on a shelf where it remained until I moved out.

Moral of the story: Buying a typewriter is not as great an idea as it sounds. There's good reasons why no-one uses them any more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads