• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I suddenly understand "douchebag."

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys that use the internet to complain about how guys in real life dress?
Originally Posted by Surfrider
My passing of the "douchebag" judgment goes beyond the manner in which he chooses to clothe himself; that is simply an indicator of the douchiness within. The real measure of his quality is in his actions. For example, the class we share is quite full, and on the first couple days, some of the late-comers found themselves without chairs. Despite sitting front row center, the guy made a big scene about giving up his chair to a hot chick who came in and was going to have to sit on a table in the back. I'm not faulting his chivalry; I myself would (and do) do the same thing, were I able to do so without being disruptive. However, the problem was he made a big display of his actions, interrupting class and drawing attention to his chivalrous act. He did this two days in a row, actually.
Wait guys still grant attractive females special favors because of their looks? This is 2008

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
guys that use the internet to complain about how guys in real life dress?

Wait guys still grant attractive females special favors because of their looks? This is 2008

actually, ignoring hot chicks works much better>>>

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chadley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Perhaps your right....well said, let's just give them a chance and label them "Self cock sucking tanned wankers" instead.

Sure--why not.

Chadley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
I agree with you, and perhaps I should have been a little more detailed in my initial description of the guy in question.

My passing of the "douchebag" judgment goes beyond the manner in which he chooses to clothe himself; that is simply an indicator of the douchiness within. The real measure of his quality is in his actions. For example, the class we share is quite full, and on the first couple days, some of the late-comers found themselves without chairs. Despite sitting front row center, the guy made a big scene about giving up his chair to a hot chick who came in and was going to have to sit on a table in the back. I'm not faulting his chivalry; I myself would (and do) do the same thing, were I able to do so without being disruptive. However, the problem was he made a big display of his actions, interrupting class and drawing attention to his chivalrous act. He did this two days in a row, actually.

The most telling of his (in)actions came on the third day of class. When a somewhat overweight and rather unattractive girl came in late and found herself without a chair, he remained silent. In fact, when the instructor told the girl "I'm sorry, I have no idea why they haven't given us more chairs yet, you'll have to just sit on the counter in the back" the entire class turned to look at Mr. Douche, expecting him to make another scene....yet he did nothing, and sat quietly, pretending he didn't know what was going on around him. Nobody said a word, yet each person in the class knew *exactly* what every other person was thinking; "What a douchebag!"

Perhaps now you have a better idea of why I've dismissed the guy.
smile.gif

That is lame of him to do.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Good Lord. You're a douchebag.

How about dressing to please one's self?

Have you seen his leather blazer thread?

I dress to please myself only. I have fun doing it. Fun is the reward.

jabreal00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
This dude isn't so bad... except for the popped collar. His clothes fit at least, and he looks presentable, at least by DB standards.

In other news, welcome to LA.

GirlNextDoor-780057.jpg

Bagling-796032.jpg

DBOldFriend-714128.jpg

DBJoeyPorsche3a-759444.jpg

HSTM-716411.jpg

DB12024-732995.jpg

DB12007-737775.jpg

And the piece de resistance...

Ricky-706358.jpg

The sad thing is that these schmucks probably get plenty of tail from dime pieces. Incredibly women buy into this.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jabreal00
The sad thing is that these schmucks probably get plenty of tail from dime pieces. Incredibly women buy into this.

If it's any consolation, these guys work much harder at it. The number of women they hit on the space of a week is probably an order of magnitude higher than the number of women any guy here hits on in the same period. All their friends are douchebags who do the same, so their aggressive, predatory approach to getting women seems perfectly normal to them.

Douchebag isn't just a look, it's an attitude... nay, an entire culture.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Douchebag isn't just a look, it's an attitude... nay, an entire culture.
A culture of horny mens with little else than the superficial to offer their likewise counterparts. Truthfully there is nothing wrong with this. Riddle me this then, for all the "I dress for..." bs. If douchebags started wearing Japaneses repro denim and weezer cardigans w/ some Engineered Garments of some sort would everyone else here flee to dress in a different manner?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 We have to close the douchebag gap! Quick, somebody pose for a snapshot with a Miller Lite promotional wench while wearing a slim-fit cardigan and Somets!

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Riddle me this then, for all the "I dress for..." bs. If douchebags started wearing Japaneses repro denim and weezer cardigans w/ some Engineered Garments of some sort would everyone else here flee to dress in a different manner?
I don't think it would happen quite like that.

First, the marketing machines that currently define the uniform of douchebag culture (tagutcow, I totally beat you to the punch on that term, so ha!
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
) would have to start pushing Japanese repro denim and weezer cardigans. Then, the kind of chicks who reinforce douchebag behavior would have to start *liking* Japanese repro denim and weezer cardigans. Only then would douchebag culture accept Japanese repro denim and weezer cardigans as their new uniform because, let's face it, douchebag culture feeds of the praise of it's female counterpart.

Because this process would take some time (given that mainstream fashion changes gradually from season to season, not drastically), once the douchebags had adopted the Japanese repro denim and weezer cardigans, the elitist, anti-douchebag fashion snobs (and mind you, I don't neccessarily use that term in a derogatory manner) would have long since found themselves another..."pre-trend" to adopt as their own.

Just my theory...

PS: On a related note, I wonder what pre-trend the elitist, anti-douchebag fashion snobs (again, no hate there) will pick up next. I mean, raw denim *is* slowly creeping it's way into the mainstream, is it not? We just revisited crazy distressing and destroyng of jeans, so it can't be that....maybe it will be tinted denim ala the early-to-mid 90s? Hmm... tech fabrics? I *have* noticed some designers using them more and more over the past couple of years...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads