• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need to quit smoking, any advice from successful quitters?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive been on and off, mostly on for 10 years. any helpful tips would be appreciated. thanks.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ive been on and off, mostly on for 10 years. any helpful tips would be appreciated. thanks.

If you really want it , you can do it...

I did quit 12 years ago and it is the best thing I have done at some many levels...

Money ,health and so on...

I really wanted to quit because of my asthma problems...

Be careful at the weight gain..

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk to your doc about Wellbutrin, it significantly reduces cravings and can negate the weight gain.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you really want it , you can do it...

I did quit 12 years ago and it is the best thing I have done at some many levels...

Money ,health and so on...

I really wanted to quit because of my asthma problems...

Be careful at the weight gain..

thanks, i have seasonal asthma/allergies. which makes smoking even more absurd for me.

Talk to your doc about Wellbutrin, it significantly reduces cravings and can negate the weight gain.

will do. thanks.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

thanks, i have seasonal asthma/allergies. which makes smoking even more absurd for me.

will do. thanks.

Try also to understand the underlying reason behind your need to smoke...

My wife used to love smoking , when I was smoking more when stressed or anxious (a comfort smoker) to help me to come down...

Some people are more social smokers...

When you do identify your triggers , you can act on them to deal with your cravings..

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP could try, you know, not smoking.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Try also to understand the underlying reason behind your need to smoke...

My wife used to love smoking enough , when I was smoking more when stressed or anxious (a comfort smoker) to help me to come down...

Some people are more social smokers...

When you do identify your triggers , you can act on them to deal with your cravings..

very true. i hate the taste, i always need to be drinking something while i smoke.

i definitely tend to mentally think cigarette at any sign of stress, also when im with people who smoke.

the big thing though is that i associate most enjoyable activities with smoking. having a smoke after a movie, after a good meal, while doing leisure activities. i need to separate the mental connection between cigarettes and having a good time.

and then of course there is the physical addiction part.

OP could try, you know, not smoking.

yeah a friend of mine once said, "you know the part where you put the cigarette in your mouth and light it? dont do that" so i tried that tactic, made it 4 months. longest i ever went. then i fell off the wagon. i should try this again

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chapmix/Chantix depends on the country. It works, I was a heavy smoker for almost 30 years. It worked so well that if I want to I can have a drunk social smoke without the old dependant behaviours coming back and I haven't bought a pack for over 2 years and I never even think about smoking.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is the first year anniversary of my quit, so I guess I could be of help.

First, OP, if you really want to quit you have to prepare for it. That means having an action plan (what/ how/ by when etc) - doesn't matter what it is, just having one is important. You are essentially stating your intent to yourselves, overtly or subliminally.

Second, In my experience no one method helps for most people. Try and choose a combination. Some people use Chantix + joining a forum + reading a quit smoking book. Looking back, what I dd was to switch to smokeless/ electronic cigarettes (one week) + some hypnotherapy + read a book (more about this later) + signed up on a forum online for group interaction/ support.

Third, a corollary of the second, using just sheer willpower is - for most people - all balls. Most people need a combination of things to help them through. Reading, plans, medicine, books, support group etc.

Fourth, read, read, read up on the online literature on how to give up smoking, whom to ask for help etc. You may use 10% of the advice, but it keeps you 'in play'. There is a lot of literature out there; do not forget to read the website of a anti-smoking guru based in Evanston, Illinois (look him up) who did amazing work back in the day. He seems to be retired now but his free program is online.

Plus reading. watching the horror stories on mouth cancer, emphysema (especially every time you feel the urge to smoke) is a very powerful device.

Fifth, two things that helped me tremendously were (a) Allan Carr's The Easy Way t o Stop Smoking book. I detest self help books, but this one, well I owe a debt of gratitude is all I will say, and (b) Signing up to this forumhttp://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=ab-quitsmoking It was and remains good way to keep in touch with people who are also quitting and the support is great (although a little on the 'let's all be nice to each other' side)

Sixth Do not berate yourselves, or give up, if you fail. For some people the trick lies in trying it again and again, and then gaining enough traction for the final and permanent quit.

Tactically, there's a lot of literature you will find when you go to the online resources I indicated.

Remember the first week is the worst, followed by a declining intensity through to week 4. After that, for most people, the desire to smoke declines exponentially. The urge comes back every now and then, and sometimes it is quite powerful, but what has change hugely is your capacity to resist.

Last edited:

Ghast

Reaction score
Try switching to eletronic cigarettes. You won't be quitting, but at least it won't be as damaging.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Plus reading. watching the horror stories on mouth cancer, emphysema (especially every time you feel the urge to smoke) is a very powerful device.

lots of good advise there, thanks i will look into some of those things you mentioned. and congrats on making it a year. you too fang, a little more than a year though

my grand father-in-law, of blessed memory, had a laryngectomy, i think of that often. sometimes it helps

Try switching to eletronic cigarettes. You won't be quitting, but at least it won't be as damaging.</p>

i tried, i didnt like it at all. the cig was very heavy, felt uncomfortable in my hand and i hated the taste more than cigarette smoke. but i appreciate the help, ill take all i can get.

Last edited:

matt22616

Reaction score
I started when I was around 17 and smoked for a good three years. Eventually half a pack a day became a pack and a half a day, and I got fed up. Quit cold turkey for about two years and then gradually started smoking socially again. When I say "socially," of course, I mean when I was out drinking with friends. Alcohol and nicotine produce a wonderful complementary high.

Over the past few months I've started to smoke more and more during the day when I'm not drinking. I attribute this largely to a new adderall prescription and an ex-girlfriend / ex-roommate (not the same person). I realize most people might think this is absurd, but I've found that dipping is a great way to satisfy the nicotine craving w/o the negative respiratory effects. Also, because I don't particularly enjoy the way dip tastes, I never really take more than two or three a day.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i.s. it's the best thing you'll ever do for yourself. Also you want all of the people in your life to support you so prepare them for when you quit and ask them for help. There's a lot of ribbing and what have you goes on here but this really isn't a joke, take care of yourself and I hope everyone on SF supports you even though you're a ****.

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

....I hope everyone on SF supports you even though you're a ****.

lol

Seriously though, if OP can't even quit a message board, his quest to quit smoking doesn't look promising.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads