• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I made this shirt! It has issues (shirtmakers, help please!)

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Actually, I'm pretty stoked with how it came out, since it's my first one. Though it is unwearable because the sleeves are ridiculously narrow (don't know how I managed that). Thus I didn't bother with the cuffs. So no smart-ass comments on the lack of cuffs
smile.gif

Anyway, I can handle most of the issues, except for one that perplexes me. There are wrinkles in the yoke that start at about the back of the neck and follow the collar's edge to the yoke front. Hopefully it's visible in the photo. How do I make those go away?

Thanks!
John

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy Smiley
Actually, I'm pretty stoked with how it came out, since it's my first one. Though it is unwearable because the sleeves are ridiculously narrow (don't know how I managed that). Thus I didn't bother with the cuffs. So no smart-ass comments on the lack of cuffs
smile.gif

Anyway, I can handle most of the issues, except for one that perplexes me. There are wrinkles in the yoke that start at about the back of the neck and follow the collar's edge to the yoke front. Hopefully it's visible in the photo. How do I make those go away?

Thanks!
John

very nice for a first attempt! by the way, you look like your avatar!

Toad

Reaction score
I agree that that's excellent for a first attempt. I'm not a shirtmaker, so I don't have any suggestions, but I will say that I wouldn't have even recognized that as a problem with the shirt if you hadn't pointed it out.

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
very nice for a first attempt! by the way, you look like your avatar!

Hehe, oh? Thanks! Actually it looks pretty nice from a distance, and I don't think the average person would notice any problems. Up close, any SF reader would find some mistakes
smile.gif

kngrimm

Reaction score
Well done... overall it looks good. Spend some time on the collar and making it stay like it should even after a few washing...

You can easily tell a good collar from a Jantzen collar...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
Well done... overall it looks good. Spend some time on the collar and making it stay like it should even after a few washing...

You can easily tell a good collar from a Jantzen collar...

We get it, you don't like Jantzen. Stop the passive-aggressive attack already.
plain.gif

FWIW, El Guapo Wongo's Jantzen collar, albeit one he had designed elsewhere, has garnered lots of praise...

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Great first try - how much prior sewing experience have you had?

Thanks all. I took a one-day sewing class (made a pillowcase) and then a 5-week class. And I made a few prototype shirts before this one (front, back and sleeves only, with simple seams). Also a couple practice collars. And a few practice collar points as well.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Whacked, I don't like any lifeless collar.. show me any brand and I'll say the same thing.

Jantzen is just a victim of it's own success.. hence it's quoted more.

Stop trying to assume everything.

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Oh what's wrong with the Jantzen collars? Mine is copied from a Club Monaco shirt I have. And I made stay slots, but I didn't insert them for the photo, so it's a bit floppy.

houserichichi

Reaction score
May I ask where your instructions came from? I'd be interested in a similar project just to see if I am able.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Let me be specific... it's not that actual shape (spread, point, cut away, etc.) of the collar I'm talking about. That is a matter of taste/style..

I'm talking about how the collar looks during the day and whether the collar keeps it's shape. I do not know the details.. but Kabbaz has mentioned that [normal] fused collars lose their shape after a few washings...

I've found that to be true.

Properly fused (or different methods.. not 100% sure) are capable of mantaining their shape without any help. It's very easy to tell.

I think Jantzen is the best value for the money... but I also think the collar is extremely important and they - among many - don't do a great job.

Sorry you dislike my opinion [whacked]... but many of the shirts providing pictures exhibit the same problems - among others. So sue me? It's just my opinion.

sweep

Reaction score
Way to derail the thread. Guy comes on here enthusiastic about what looks to be a pretty impressive attempt at a shirt, and you turn it into an opportunity to complain about jantzen.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Blah.. I'm done with this.

I think his shirts looks great. I just offered an area for him to focus on. Whacked went the opposite direction... not me.

You jump in and now it really is derailed. I was just trying to explain my reasoning after whacked got a bug up his ass...

Everyone jumps to conclusions - my post wasn't made to attract attention - just offer an area to perfect since he did so well with the actual fit.

Stop being little girls.. comment on his shirt and not me because I was talking to the OP and not anyone else. I don't care what you think of my opinion.

I'm off to the bars to have fun... enjoy whatever life you have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads