• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I landed a Big 4 (accounting) interview...A couple of questions

duration

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zillka
tell them you only want to be placed in their TAS group for exit opportunities to PE by way of client interaction.

if they see you'd actually be able to exit to PE, they'd hire you in hopes that you'd pick some of them up on the way.

Derailing the thread... How frequent do you see TAS/ADV leave for buy-side? And you pointed out something interesting: I never thought that you could approach an interview with the intention to leave for a more interesting field (that's my opinion not neccessarily the truth) and string the interviewer along.

Btw, I agree with you that the Big 4 name carries weight. No matter where you end up. I take it that you were from advisory previously?

To the OP, I have to qualify what I said about technical questions. What I mean is that if you had done relevant coursework in college, you should be prepared to answer questions related to the job. Not everything under the sun. So for example, if it was tax - then perhaps a few questions on tax rates, deductibles, tax structuring might be posed.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got out of my interview with the recruiter. All of the questions I was told to prepare for I did and felt very well prepared. One question that I wasn't prepared for was "Tell me about a time when you came across unethical behavior and how did you handle it." Although I wasn't prepared for that question I took a second to think about it and answered accordingly and it went smooth.

Also last night was the "networking/social event." Unfortunately, there was no booze but it was catered and they had some decent food. The recruiter brought some associates from the New York office for us to mingle with and I hit off with all of the associates, so when when sat down for the interview this morning the first thing he brought up was how everyone I spoke to gave me "excellent reviews" and felt they really clicked with me.

The recruiter said I would hear back in about two weeks so now all I can do is wait. Thanks again to all who contributed and it is greatly appreciated.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I'm well aware of what a career in Big 4 accounting entails and am actually somewhat looking forward to it (assuming I get hired). From asking around I've been told that you will work 100 hours/week during busy season, and have also been told that some people are working about 55 hours/week during busy season. A lot definitely depends on what kind of auditing you're doing, your team, and the client. After speaking to a few accountants well into their 50s the consensus was the same: There is no better place to launch your career than a Big 4.

LOL. Ahh to be a hungry College kid again
inlove.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish but I've been in college too long to be hungry. All I care about is getting into a position where I can learn, take in as much as possible and grow as a professional.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I wish but I've been in college too long to be hungry. All I care about is getting into a position where I can learn, take in as much as possible and grow as a professional.

Clearly you're still in interview mode
laugh.gif
Good luck with the leadership program man, people I know that participated definitely felt like it was helpful.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
LOL. Ahh to be a hungry College kid again
inlove.gif

Give him a couple of years in public accounting and he's gonna wish he was back in school.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of years is all I need, and then I'll see what happens. I'm just afraid that I might not get into a big 4 firm and after all the hot air that professors spout about big 4 it makes you feel like if you don't get into a big 4 firm your career is over before you even start. My school is so damn competitive and its a prime recruiting campus for all the firms and it seems like everyones GPA is 3.7 and above which is kind of intimidating considering recruiters pride themselves on the average GPA they bring in as opposed to the overall quality of the people.

Gutman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serg
It's a big giant personality test.

Correct. If you got the interview, then your grades are good enough. they want to see the cut of your jib, and your inter-personal skills for dealing with collegues and clients.

Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Never forget this rule: always, tell the truth during an interview.

Absolutely.

Remember who you are talking to as well. HR staff will ask all those clever questions, but the professional staff will want to know whether you are a person of character and integrity, have some backbone, will shoulder responsibility, and can take criticism (when deserved) and are not shy of hard work. Not being a complete nerd will help, but ultimately it is not that important. Be yourself, because anything else certainly won't work.

For myself, when interveiwing i go almost entirely by the gut feel i get about the candidate, which is almost always right.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gutman
Correct. If you got the interview, then your grades are good enough. they want to see the cut of your jib, and your inter-personal skills for dealing with collegues and clients.

Absolutely.

Remember who you are talking to as well. HR staff will ask all those clever questions, but the professional staff will want to know whether you are a person of character and integrity, have some backbone, will shoulder responsibility, and can take criticism (when deserved) and are not shy of hard work. Not being a complete nerd will help, but ultimately it is not that important. Be yourself, because anything else certainly won't work.

For myself, when interveiwing i go almost entirely by the gut feel i get about the candidate, which is almost always right.

Your name suits you very well then.

pistolero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
Give him a couple of years in public accounting and he's gonna wish he was back in school.

+1000. After a few years of punishment it occurred to me that I could have gone to law school and at least be making twice the money to work all the time and have no life. My time in the big 4 was a great learning experience, and I still benefit from having started my career there, but as a long term career choice it wasn't for me.

EDIT: Adding, congrats to OP on getting this far through the process.. I will say though that all the pressure and propaganda about how getting into the big 4 is the only way to have a great career as a CPA is complete BS.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade

lol. it's like a dog chasing a car... the chase it fun, but if you ever catch it, you won't know what to do with it.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member