1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, May 12, 2006.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I am now contributing to the piece's patina like its prior owners [​IMG]

you have to drench it in blood every now and again to really get the patina to where it should be[​IMG]

2. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

shoreman - I like that one, too. I did my research before I purchased the Seiko, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well rated the diver watches are considering the price.

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

Either this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

I'm particularly fond of the dauphine hands on the round one. It also comes with a black dial.

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

you have to drench it in blood every now and again to really get the patina to where it should be[​IMG]

LOL!

Roger that. I'll try to remember to practice my kata next time I have a nosebleed [​IMG]

5. skalogre

6. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

Either this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

I'm particularly fond of the dauphine hands on the round one. It also comes with a black dial.

If you want a much cheaper alternative to Piaget for the Bauhaus look, go to the up and comming German brand out of Glasshute (huge watchmaking rennaisance there), Nomos. Look up the Tangomat... in house movement, stunning looks... they are all the rage with WIS right now. For about $1500...

For the tank, consider a JLC.

7. skalogre

If you want a much cheaper alternative to Piaget for the Bauhaus look, go to the up and comming German brand out of Glasshute (huge watchmaking rennaisance there), Nomos. Look up the Tangomat... in house movement, stunning looks... they are all the rage with WIS right now. For about $1500...

Good call on Nomos.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

I was recommended Klaus by 'Paul December' on pmwf.com - he had only good things to say about the service. said that one time Klaus actually replaced a watch for him, rather than repair it.

(i hope paul doesn't mind me blabbing.)

/andrew

9. skalogre

I was recommended Klaus by 'Paul December' on pmwf.com - he had only good things to say about the service. said that one time Klaus actually replaced a watch for him, rather than repair it.

(i hope paul doesn't mind me blabbing.)

/andrew

Nice., I will keep that in mind, thanks Andrew. Prices are not too bad either; it is amazing how expensive those watches are getting, no wonder the originals go for so much on eBay nowadays.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

This is great. A list of the people I am going to jack next [​IMG]

11. skalogre

This is great. A list of the people I am going to jack next [​IMG]

Uh oh. Have I mentioned before that I live in a cave and don't own anything? Err. Yes.

[​IMG]

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

13. Hanseat

Hanseat Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that I got an engraved Nomos Tangente for graduation as a 'good watch'- exactly what I wanted. [​IMG]

14. Violinist

Just wanted to say that I got an engraved Nomos Tangente for graduation as a 'good watch'- exactly what I wanted. [​IMG]

I love Nomos, but unfortunately they're too small for me. Only the Tangomat might be big enough, but it's not yet available.

15. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Just bought a pocket light with an attachment that turns it into a portable lamp. Woo hoo for TJ Maxx.

17. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

The looks of the Tangente, with a larger case and an in house movement! Why did you have to show me that [​IMG]

I was happy with my Stowa Antea because the Tangente was too small for my wrist. I'm going to go sulk now... [​IMG]

18. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

But I don't want a cheap alternative to the Piaget. I find the comparison of the Piaget and the Nomos curious, as they're not even vaguely similar; the Piaget is an austere, ultrathin design in white gold, while the Nomos is a thick, Teutonic design in steel. They are neither similar in aesthetics nor price point.

It is good to know that the Nomos is a good watch. They are sold at a number of shops in Japan. It looks like something a friend of mine could get quite excited about for the price. For me, however, the aesthetics leave me cold.

As for the JLC Reverso, I also want to get a Duo, since I basically have to pay attention to two time zones on a daily basis, but it's not a matter of that or the Piaget.

19. Violinist

But I don't want a cheap alternative to the Piaget. I find the comparison of the Piaget and the Nomos curious, as they're not even vaguely similar; the Piaget is an austere, ultrathin design in white gold, while the Nomos is a thick, Teutonic design in steel. They are neither similar in aesthetics nor price point.

It is good to know that the Nomos is a good watch. They are sold at a number of shops in Japan. It looks like something a friend of mine could get quite excited about for the price. For me, however, the aesthetics leave me cold.

As for the JLC Reverso, I also want to get a Duo, since I basically have to pay attention to two time zones on a daily basis, but it's not a matter of that or the Piaget.

The JLC Reverso Grande GMT is probably one of the best in existence.

20. Violinist

Well someone mentioned Bauhaus and right now few people are doing Bauhaus better... Nomos aren't that thick, but they're aren't an ultra thin.

Piaget is a great company, but their prices are quite inflated and it's difficult to get a discount. There's quite a few others I'd consider first.