• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What clothing/items should I buy while in Brazil?

AJR Journal

Reaction score
I would look for a fabulous dress hat. It will work for you in a temperate climate, like my hometown of Milwaukee. Bring it out every Summer and you will love it. It will "snazzify" your appearance..

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SeaGriffin
Hey Metlin,
Belem...kind of puts me a bit out of the way. Still, if you can point me towards good brands that would be appreciated. May swing by Rio, not sure if I will have the time.

I didn't know where Belem was, so had to look it up -- it looks like it's up far north.

Down south (i.e. around Porto Alegre), there are some amazing local shoe makers who will make you a fabulous pair for dirt cheap.

I'm not sure about any local brands, but I'm sure you could ask around and locals will be able to point you in the right direction. Enjoy your trip! And if you're going to go do "touristy" stuff, the southern beaches are less crowded and more gorgeous.
smile.gif
And I'd stay far, far away from Rio.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Actually, I will mostly be there for work...so sadly I can't travel too far. Still, I'm sure I will have a great time. Anyway, they gave me a 10 year visa so I'm sure I'll find the time to go back some other time. Not during the olympics.

I think you're right. It should be lot easier to figure out if the city offers anything at a good price once I am down there.

Oh, and AJR Journal... I bought a Panama hat in Ecuador that I take out on special occasions for just that purpose.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Back now...perhaps I went to the wrong places, but I didn't have much luck. I did learn that the botiques supposedly have the 'good' clothes and that the department stores are so great.

While I could a few good things, the weak dollar (at a two year low against the Real) pretty much killed any value.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread until I saw it pop back up.

Not surprised as far as the shopping results. I think the only thing that really comes to mind down there are the semi precious gems from H Stern.

brazboy

Reaction score
I live "down here", in Rio. In Belem I wouldn't bother trying to find nice clothes, you probably won't find anything decent. In Rio and Sao Paulo I would recommend the following:

Osklen - casual wear and beachwear, they have stores in NY, Rome, Paris, Milan, etc

Ricardo Almeida - probably the best tailor in the country; dresses the president and businessmen/celebrities. Not Savile Row though.

Camargo - also a tailor, used to work at Ricardo. Same fit (slim, soft, unstructured, light) yet a bit cheaper.

Cidade Jardim Mall - The most luxurious mall in Sao Paulo; Hermes, Chanel, Gucci, etc, etc.

Iguatemi Mall

All suggestions are in Sao Paulo, except from Osklen which can be found in almost every capital. Honestly, there are better places to shop; any american or european capital will have a broader and better assortment of options. PM me if you need anything.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Brazboy,

Thanks for that clarification. I was thinking the same thing, but I suppose that if one doesn't know Brazilian geography/economics, my opinion of shopping in Belem could give the wrong impression.

I gathered that some good shoes can be made in Sao Paolo and in the South. Perhaps I will have some time someday in Sao Paolo. Sadly, all I saw this time was the airport for five hours. Thank you for the offer.

Have fun with that followup election...not entirely sure about the leading candidates, but then again I'm not really versed in the finer details. Long flight home. Going to sleep. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads