• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have an issue...

Frederic's Berceuse

Reaction score
marchal.gif

Recently there has been, what started off as one stray cat wandering around our front porch and roof area, several stray cats wandering around making our porch and roof area their territory at night, making all kinds of bothersome sounds, scaring my wife at night when going up the stairs and our neighbors (who are elderly).
These cats: one brown one, one black and white one, one dark grey one, and a white small one, run away whenever i open the door or whenever i show my face going up the stairwell. they KNOW i hate them. whenever i go up the stairs or my wife, they speed down the stairs like a bullet and startle my wife and im afraid one day she will trip or get hurt by them.

i called the rental office multiple times as our neigbors did as well, and they tried to catch these fiendish dirty cats. to no avail. they also contacted the local animal control but failed as they said they need the cats in hand, or not running around, they won't chase after them . i dont know, dont they have traps? anyways, the office said they won't come down.

these cats do not belong to anyone, no collar no tags, unkempt, very dirty scruffy looking, and endangering everyone around me and my neighbors.

is there a way to catch these cats? is there any way for me to get rid of these cats? any ideas or experience?
i am so enfuriated sometimes i imagine catching one of these, wrapping them in a bag and dumping them over the pier into the ocean or running them over with my car mulitple times. of course that is my instantaneous thought at the heat of emotion.
confused.gif

what can i do? i dont want to do anything illegal. thanks

i think what started this was several months ago, our neighbor had a white cat that they kept outside and was very cute and docile and they fed it by keeping a bowl of food and water outside their porch. i remember seeing later a strange cat coming by, ...now there is no neigbor's cat and no more food and water outside, but i think that instigated these cats to just claim this area as their terroitory or something. their local night hang out.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
_41319297_bb_gun.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a dog.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Urinate into Ziploc bags for about a week. Then, open and place them in strategically prudent locations on your front porch. The cats will smell the urine and flee, assuming it belongs to a more powerful predator. Problem solved.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Urinate into Ziploc bags for about a week. Then, open and place them in strategically prudent locations on your front porch. The cats will smell the urine and flee, assuming it belongs to a more powerful predator. Problem solved.

This and other advice coming in Conne's new book, "101 Ways to Get Evicted."

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cats have been sent to you as a test of your good will (No Bergdorf).

Should you show them kindness, the emperor shall reward you with his favors.

Your derision and attempts to make them leave will only see them replaced by Box Men. And then you have real problems...

Choose wisely.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dog - go to the pound, adopt a dog, try to get something in the crazy mean large dog style, have the dog kill the cats, return dog.

or, just get a bb gun and kill the damn cats yourself.

Frederic's Berceuse

Reaction score
trust me i would love to kill the cats .

just worried some animal lover onlooker will see me and report me to the police or something.

fortune

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frederic's Berceuse
this is a good idea. not sure i will spend 50 bucks on this but i am very curious to see it work.

this may seem unorthodox and rude, because it sounds like you're trying to get rid of them out of the good of your own heart and because they're annoying to you too, but see if anyone wants to split that? i'd do it and even if it doesn't work, they'll give your money back.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pellet pistol above does not have the energy to kill a cat. There are pellet pistols and rifles, not to mention a supressed .22 that will though.
alien.gif

The plastic pellets may work to "persuade" them to stay away from your house though. Depending on where you live someone may rat you out for animal abuse though. Different states have different laws about dealing with nuisance wildlife (and whether stray cats constitute wildlife).

Somewhat more humane way is to get a water gun, like one of those SuperSoakers and load it up with some liquid that cats can't stand and spray some on them. I am not a cat expert, like some on his board but cats are very sensitive to some smells.
One smell they can't stand is naphtalene in mothballs. I put mothballs around my house in the summer when I have a problem with cats taking dumps on my lawn. It does keep them away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads