• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate boot shopping!!!

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kbuzz
Im in the same boat. Id really like a pair of alden shells but there are none around in my size. I just cant seem to pull the trigger on any alternative.

One suggestion from some earlier posts you might consider is the Jcrew Redwing. Looks like a nice boot but as i get towards 42, i think i may need something a bit more age appropriate.

I saw those and they looked like a classic looking boot that could be worn by any guy from say 16 to 96. So what would be a more 'age appropriate' boot look like for a guy over 42? Just curious.

Crooow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by giaour
Slide,

Just wondering where you ordered your GTs from; the only places I've found are cultizm and zappos, but neither have the black cherry in my size (9.5). I would have PMd but I'm still too much of a lurker around here...

If it's any consolation, that last pair of black cherry in 9.5 at Zappos have found a wonderful home; in fact, they went out to a nice dinner and walk through town just last night with my wife and in-laws.
laugh.gif

And as GS has said, when I first got them, they were as uncomfortable as could be. They were tight in width, and the stiffness of the leather absolutely cut into my ankles as I walked. Taking the advice of some posters on here, though, I kept them laced tightly and put up with the pain for a few days. Now, they fit like a dream.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ritchee
So what would be a more 'age appropriate'
boot look like for a guy over 42? Just curious.

I'm not sure any boot can ever not be age appropriate.
3395557.jpg

blantonator

Reaction score
I have to say, i hate boot shopping too. I tried some Frye "made in mexico" boots at nordstroms and was pretty let down. Do you guys know what boots these are? I can't remember where I found the picture.
657934c9d8390e0e704b38b4260d8244241e753b.jpg

kbuzz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crooow
If it's any consolation, that last pair of black cherry in 9.5 at Zappos have found a wonderful home; in fact, they went out to a nice dinner and walk through town just last night with my wife and in-laws.
laugh.gif

And as GS has said, when I first got them, they were as uncomfortable as could be. They were tight in width, and the stiffness of the leather absolutely cut into my ankles as I walked. Taking the advice of some posters on here, though, I kept them laced tightly and put up with the pain for a few days. Now, they fit like a dream.

did you go down a half or full size on the GTs. Im still up in the air between the gts, the knapp farm boot (http://www.knappstore.com/DisplaySty...?Style_ID=2529

and the chippewa's http://www.chippewa-boots.com/order/chippewa/25290.htm

Now for further opnions-seriously do youall think that the red wing gts, might look a little like older guy trying to hard to look cool? In other words, shouldnt someone at 42 be wearing a pair of trickers brogue boots, or CJ conistons etc.

Curious_George

Reaction score
did you go down a half or full size on the GTs. Im still up in the air between the gts, the knapp farm boot (http://www.knappstore.com/DisplaySty...?Style_ID=2529 and the chippewa's http://www.chippewa-boots.com/order/chippewa/25290.htm Now for further opnions-seriously do youall think that the red wing gts, might look a little like older guy trying to hard to look cool? In other words, shouldnt someone at 42 be wearing a pair of trickers brogue boots, or CJ conistons etc.
No. They're pretty much just a classic work boot design. If you're not too old to be doing "work" then I'd say you're okay to wear them. And whether someone at 42 should be wearing dress boots or not would seem to me entirely job/lifestyle dependent. I knew a farmer who died a couple years back who wore similar classic work boots up until he was 80 and went into a retirement home. And as far as sizing goes, I went down a half size on mine. But I have wide feet. I could have probably gone down a full size if I had narrow feet or these came in E width.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you go down a half or full size on the GTs. Im still up in the air between the gts, the knapp farm boot (http://www.knappstore.com/DisplaySty...?Style_ID=2529

and the chippewa's http://www.chippewa-boots.com/order/chippewa/25290.htm

Now for further opnions-seriously do youall think that the red wing gts, might look a little like older guy trying to hard to look cool? In other words, shouldnt someone at 42 be wearing a pair of trickers brogue boots, or CJ conistons etc.

Both those boots are in the same style as the red wing gt's. Anybody at any age can wear work boots. They are classic. The GT's are a lot nicer looking than either of those so I say get them.

As far as sizing I sized down 1.5 and they are still a tad too long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics