• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel hopeless… I need help with STYLE!

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
depends on your style. I'd personally say outside of whatever you currently have -- invest in nicer sneakers (something like common projects) and a structured piece of outerwear (peacoat or w/e styled winter coat. whatever floats your boat)

get a few very well fitting button ups.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried using the forum search and inputing 'hopeless'+'style'? There are new threads exactly like this that have been popping up every couple days, since well before my time here, that I think you would find very helpful.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coaster
An assortment of solid polos from RL and Lacoste

Step 1: Don yourself with all your polos.
Step 2: Pop collars.

popped-collars.jpg

coaster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nakedundermyclothes
Step 1: Don yourself with all your polos.
Step 2: Pop collars.

popped-collars.jpg

This joke is far too overdone. Have anything original?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coaster
Ok I appreciate the store recommendations. I'll definitely check those out. So what are some "essential" articles of clothing I need to put in my closet? Just the basics that I can expand on. I need a good mixture of different things.

you really need to spend money on shoes and underwear ... im not talking sperrys! those are **** shoes.

good shoes get the attention of the bitches and good underwear makes them feel better after getting the pink eye.

your welcome.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
www.epauletshop.com

Yes, follow this link to epaulet, lots of great, casual button-downs over there. They have an affiliate thread here as well, go look through that. Stop buying polos and invest in nice, quality button-downs. To get started, the first thing I would do is get yourself measured. Here, I found this from google:

http://www.execshirts.com/dress-shir...ress-shirt.htm

Take your best fitting shirt (slim fitting, but not tight) and measure that. Then you'll have a good reference point to buy your correct size. Since you're 6', I forsee you buying mostly L, possibly M depending on your build. Go look at the threads in Streetwear and Denim for more of an idea of what you like before actually buying anything. Wolf vs Goat will have a sale for their button-downs, $85 each (except new ones), I'd definitely try one out. Great price on a nice shirt. The sleeves/shirt length are shorter than usual (great for shorter guys), so make sure you get the right size.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...155670&page=85

For jeans, don't worry about raw denim. It's too expensive for you now, your Levi's will do, and I think you really need help with your shirts.

For shoes, you can't go wrong with Common Projects as a college student, size down by 1/2 though, they fit long and slightly narrow. 40 = US Size 7, 41 = US Size 8, and so on, go measure yourself on a Brannock. For your ease, I'm a size 7.5D, and I wear 40 in them with socks and room to spare. Understand that Nike has screwed with our perception on shoe sizing. There's a lot of tacky colors now, avoid them. The white achilles low are nice, but your pants will bleed onto them.

JTK

Reaction score
1. Buy clothes that fit, or be prepared to have items altered so that they fit well! I am obsessive about shirts not being too long when untucked. I'm 5'9" and had a difficult time finding shirts that fit off the rack. Now, I always factor in $15 to my shirt purchases knowing that I will likely have to have them altered.

2. Shoes. Step up your shoe style with a nice pair of boots or casual oxfords. Spend the money if you can. Shoes are the speakers of your stereo system, and you should always splurge on the speakers!

3. Pay attention to the advice on this site, but don't take everything for gospel! Develop your own sense of style and what you think looks good. If you're not comfortable it what you're wearing, it won't matter what the clothing looks like.

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
I agree, it's great you want to take that first step. We all start from somewhere and I applaud you for noticing something you wanted to change in your life. I personally grab style inspirations for various street style sites and if you are looking for a more dapper appearance start looking around for those type of men on these sites. As said above it will not happen overnight, and should be an evolutionary process until you find what works for you. Always do your research and you'll find it's not terribly hard to present yourself well. eg searches. "what to wear in fall" "coats for fall" "color palette" etc. Google is your friend. My advice is not to follow into trends too much (at all), dress with functionality first and find your style regardless of if it's trendy. Good luck my friend. Edit: I forgot to mention the most important, stay within your means. Don't blow all your money an a pair of "dope" shoes when you could've bought a few shirts, belts, and maybe a pair of pants. Find the balance. Thrifting is great as well. Don't underestimate it.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Major thread fail.

OP should be looking at 3 brands only:

Eric Glennie
Fuel Star
Special Flower

/thread

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Expressions Realia
I agree, it's great you want to take that first step. We all start from somewhere and I applaud you for noticing something you wanted to change in your life. I personally grab style inspirations for various street style

facepalm.gif

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Major thread fail.

OP should be looking at 3 brands only:

Eric Glennie
Fuel Star
Special Flower

/thread

He clearly has no idea what he's doing. I remember being in that position before all throughout high school, so I like being nice to people that genuinely ask for help here. Although, he really should just look at the threads/pictures more. Instead of putting in the effort to troll, I'd help him out, since you must have been in the same position yourself before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads