1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I feel hopeless… I need help with STYLE!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by coaster, Jan 8, 2011.

1. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

Ok I appreciate the store recommendations. I'll definitely check those out. So what are some "essential" articles of clothing I need to put in my closet? Just the basics that I can expand on. I need a good mixture of different things.

you really need to spend money on shoes and underwear ... im not talking sperrys! those are shit shoes.

good shoes get the attention of the bitches and good underwear makes them feel better after getting the pink eye.

your welcome.

2. *#..

*#.. Senior member

www.epauletshop.com

Yes, follow this link to epaulet, lots of great, casual button-downs over there. They have an affiliate thread here as well, go look through that. Stop buying polos and invest in nice, quality button-downs. To get started, the first thing I would do is get yourself measured. Here, I found this from google:

http://www.execshirts.com/dress-shir...ress-shirt.htm

Take your best fitting shirt (slim fitting, but not tight) and measure that. Then you'll have a good reference point to buy your correct size. Since you're 6', I forsee you buying mostly L, possibly M depending on your build. Go look at the threads in Streetwear and Denim for more of an idea of what you like before actually buying anything. Wolf vs Goat will have a sale for their button-downs, $85 each (except new ones), I'd definitely try one out. Great price on a nice shirt. The sleeves/shirt length are shorter than usual (great for shorter guys), so make sure you get the right size.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...155670&page=85

For jeans, don't worry about raw denim. It's too expensive for you now, your Levi's will do, and I think you really need help with your shirts.

For shoes, you can't go wrong with Common Projects as a college student, size down by 1/2 though, they fit long and slightly narrow. 40 = US Size 7, 41 = US Size 8, and so on, go measure yourself on a Brannock. For your ease, I'm a size 7.5D, and I wear 40 in them with socks and room to spare. Understand that Nike has screwed with our perception on shoe sizing. There's a lot of tacky colors now, avoid them. The white achilles low are nice, but your pants will bleed onto them.

3. JTK

JTK Senior member

1. Buy clothes that fit, or be prepared to have items altered so that they fit well! I am obsessive about shirts not being too long when untucked. I'm 5'9" and had a difficult time finding shirts that fit off the rack. Now, I always factor in $15 to my shirt purchases knowing that I will likely have to have them altered.

2. Shoes. Step up your shoe style with a nice pair of boots or casual oxfords. Spend the money if you can. Shoes are the speakers of your stereo system, and you should always splurge on the speakers!

3. Pay attention to the advice on this site, but don't take everything for gospel! Develop your own sense of style and what you think looks good. If you're not comfortable it what you're wearing, it won't matter what the clothing looks like.

4. Expressions Realia

Expressions Realia Well-Known Member

I agree, it's great you want to take that first step. We all start from somewhere and I applaud you for noticing something you wanted to change in your life. I personally grab style inspirations for various street style sites and if you are looking for a more dapper appearance start looking around for those type of men on these sites. As said above it will not happen overnight, and should be an evolutionary process until you find what works for you. Always do your research and you'll find it's not terribly hard to present yourself well. eg searches. "what to wear in fall" "coats for fall" "color palette" etc. Google is your friend. My advice is not to follow into trends too much (at all), dress with functionality first and find your style regardless of if it's trendy. Good luck my friend. Edit: I forgot to mention the most important, stay within your means. Don't blow all your money an a pair of "dope" shoes when you could've bought a few shirts, belts, and maybe a pair of pants. Find the balance. Thrifting is great as well. Don't underestimate it.

5. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Major thread fail.

OP should be looking at 3 brands only:

Eric Glennie
    Fuel Star
    Special Flower

/thread

6. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

I agree, it's great you want to take that first step. We all start from somewhere and I applaud you for noticing something you wanted to change in your life. I personally grab style inspirations for various street style

[​IMG]

7. Prada_Ferragamo

8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

You're on the largest style forum for men in the world. How about reading the existing topics and looking at people's pics instead of asking to be spoonfed?

9. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

I'm just saying.... some A&F graphic tees do look nice... >.>

every a&f tee looks the same. It brands you with A&F since. XXXX year?

10. *#..

*#.. Senior member

Major thread fail.

OP should be looking at 3 brands only:

Eric Glennie
    Fuel Star
    Special Flower

/thread

He clearly has no idea what he's doing. I remember being in that position before all throughout high school, so I like being nice to people that genuinely ask for help here. Although, he really should just look at the threads/pictures more. Instead of putting in the effort to troll, I'd help him out, since you must have been in the same position yourself before.

11. Prada_Ferragamo

not really. I did more reading than posting when I joined the forum. The stickies on top are there for a reason.

12. *#..

*#.. Senior member

not really. I did more reading than posting when I joined the forum. The stickies on top are there for a reason.

I lurked for a few years before I actually joined and started posting. I think the OP should check out the stickies as well and lurk some more. Did you mean "not really", as in you never had any issues dressing nicely back in the day? I would find that hard to believe.

13. Prada_Ferragamo

I didn't know better. But I dressed comfortably. I meant I didn't start threads like this.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I'm in a good mood, so I'll help you (and then probably just repost this the next time someone comes knockin'). In the future, use the search function and the stickied threads. Do this instead of replying to any of these posts. i'm going to assume that the real goal here is to look good for the ladies, so... College wear for fun and profit: Your shit is going to get messy. Beer is going to get spilled all over everything you own. More than likely, you will sleep in the mud/bushes while wearing most of this stuff. Girls will rub themselves on your pants, which is great, but unhygienic. First, get rid of your graphic tees. If you want to wear t shirts, and who doesn't, just get some blanks from hanes/american apparel that fit well in the shoulders. Next, buy a pair of jeans. Everyone here will tell you to buy raws, and they are right. Don't ask what kind. You're getting away with this much, so you can do some forum research next. I will tell you that if you wait, jeans are cheap. Buy jeans that fit you. Buy a pair of boots that are not desert boots. desert boots are boring and girls don't give a shit that they're based on imperialist rapist-wear. Buy something with a slight heel. Do some research/read up on what you like. Do not wear adidas all-stars with gelly stripes. Do not wear cargo shorts. Do not wear cargo shorts with your adidas all-stars. Chucks are whatever, but be warned that they will not get you any female attention. do not fucking EVER wear your running shoes unless you're working out, I don't care what you think you know. Buy slim button downs on the cheap. take j crew button downs to the tailor, whatever. not everything has to be skin tight, but if you want to look like you take care of yourself, a good start is to buy clothes that fit you. don't save up and buy shit that you'll regret buying. take advantage of fast fashion. Look at WAYWT. Most people are not spending a lot of money on anything. Emulate them. finally, clothes are not going to make you look better/more classy/ more cultured. If you are a slob, cookie-cutter clothing is not going to fix anything. If you are interested in looking like a mature human, or even an immature but stylish one, don't go throwing your money around. Especially not during college. spend that shit on drugs and alcohol and parties. and some boots. mostly, go do some fucking research
    </special flower thread>

15. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

lol. ^

&quot;and some boots&quot;

16. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

</special flower thread>

Meh, chucks are and will always be badass. They just don't fit in well with the dressed for the internet crowd.

17. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Meh, chucks are and will always be badass. They just don't fit in well with the dressed for the internet crowd.

how can something that every teenage kid wears be badass? Avoid at all costs.

18. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

My dyslexia kicked in when I read &quot;hopeless&quot; as I thought he said he felt &quot;homeless&quot;.

19. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

Don't buy desert boots? [​IMG]

I disagree....

20. Lane

Lane Senior member

EDIT: I guess I should include my body type.. I am about 6', 170 . Blonde hair, light complexion.

hey there big boi, have any pics?