• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel hopeless… I need help with STYLE!

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Go to WAYWT (stickied at top of board) and see if you like those looks. If not, this forum probably isn't for you If you want a place to find out "style tips" or "how to look fresh" or "10 classic looks for the spring" - **** like that, you're in the wrong place; go to GQ.com or something Edit: Also, noticed you were asking for specific items to get from the mall. You'll find that a lot of posters here don't get items from the mall, but rather specialty stores. Honestly, if you're constricted to the mall, you might want to peruse the massive J. Crew thread here. Not many here like stores like Banana Rep

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
yea everyone and their mom has desert boots. when i went over to a girl friend's place and saw that her brother had Clark DB's, i was immediately wary, lol.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu
If you want a place to find out "style tips" or "how to look fresh" or "10 classic looks for the spring" - **** like that, you're in the wrong place; go to GQ.com or something
Why's that? WAYWT is filled with helpful tips on looking fresh -- like, Buy from the affiliate brands, and, That flannel shirt won't do -- pay an affiliate brand $200 for something that looks exactly the same. Some of the advice even trickles down from GQ.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you're lost just look at pictures of people who look really stylish and start trying to copy their outfits. Go in WAYWT and save the pictures of people who look excellent. Start reading some fashion blogs and saving pictures of outfits that look good -- like sartorialist.com or streetetiquette.com.

Don't feel like you have to copy an entire outfit -- approximate to the best of your ability with the clothes you have. Save outfits even if the overall fit sucks but there's a particular piece that really stands out.

At first you will suck (like I currently do) because you don't have enough good pieces in your wardrobe, and you're missing some key essentials that are required to put together what you're trying to emulate. But you'll still probably be better off than your average American turd who clearly just doesn't even try.

And then hopefully someday you'll actually be good at this stuff and have a solid wardrobe.

But, like so many talents, I think the best road for a newbie is to emulate, emulate, emulate. Find people who are doing it right, and just copy it. Eventually it'll start seeping in and you'll actually pick up some understanding.

edit: As an addendum, I think it's important to remember that you won't be good at this stuff right away. You wouldn't expect to pick up the guitar and become a virtuoso overnight, and the same goes for style. You won't start looking super stylish overnight -- it'll take some practice and probably a lot of errors before you start killing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads