• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought my first suit and need suggestion in alterations.

iiiivvvv

Reaction score
So I decided to put my budget to work and went to the mall... hugo boss, brooks, macys, h&m, j crew, and I found that zara was best for my price range. I didn't even walk in prada... too intimidated.. haha. Anyways, main thing I'm concerned with is the shoulders on the suit. I'm wondering how it looks. It definitely doesn't go beyond my shoulder and it fits snugly.

So, here is top #1.
Definitely, the sleeves are long and I also want the waist to go in a bit.
Is the suit professional enough for a job?

At the store. Where da girls at?

Brought it home. Sorry for my crappy cell phone cam and mirror.

Top 2

So there you have it. The main difference with 1 and 2 is that 1 is a lighter/shinier charcoal and 2 is darker and the shoulder is more relaxed-cut. They didn't have pant size for suit 2 but I bought the top anyways so I can buy the bottom at another zara.

This is so much more difficult than I thought, esp. with being on a budget. I can't wait for tailoring because I've had jeans and dress shirts fitted but never suits. Let me know your thoughts on whether these designs work or not. I like how they sit relaxed on my body, and despite it's slim-cutness, it's not restricting nor do I feel to ostentatious.

Thank you.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
The sleeves are far too long and need shortened quite a bit. The body of the jacket is also a bit big, I would have the sides taken in some.

Yachting Man

Reaction score

The sleeves are far too long and need shortened quite a bit. The body of the jacket is also a bit big, I would have the sides taken in some.

This covers it. Some may feel the need to get into even more detail, but the above will put you in good shape.

Go to a tailor. Put your suit on. He will fix you up no problem.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I like #2 better for a work environment. The shoulder on #1 is a bit strong/pointy for my taste, but it doesn't necessarily look bad on you. See above for alterations.

togglebutton

Reaction score
The length of the jacket seems a little too short as well. It does not seem like it'll cover your rear completely.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket an inch or inch and a half shorter than ideal, but entirely forgivable given the current trend of wearing shorter than expected jackets. You will definitely need to get a tailor to shorten sleeves and take in sides, as echoed in previous comments.

iiiivvvv

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for your help guys, seriously.

I reiterated several of your feedbacks to the tailor and he will take the sides in and shorten the sleeves. He said there was nothing wrong with the shoulders on both jacket...just a difference in how it was cut. However, if it protruded out, then there would've been a problem. Also, I got his opinion on the suit in general.. he said charcoal was a good first choice and the next one I get should be a dark navy.. and then get black for third... and don't even worry about the fourth because by then I will have to revaluate my wardrobe again.

I expressed my concern about this being my first suit being tailored and he insisted that I shouldn't worry because he's been doing this for generations. "If you look bad... I look bad..." And the total charge was $105, including the pants that came with it (of which the waist and hem will be altered). So I'm guessing it was about $50 for the jacket. Is that fair? I didn't mind the price at all, as long as the quality of alteration is on cue.

I will post pics again early next week and show you the tailored finish. Thank you fellow sf'ers.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
So did you keep the first one? I recently had pants hemmed, waist taken in (jacket), waist taken in (pants) crotch let out, sleeves adjusted, and something (I can't remember exactly what) to the collar, and the price came to over $80. So $105 doesn't sound too far off. I would disagree with you tailor that your third suit should be black. I rarely ever wear my black suit. The first time I dusted it off in years was recently as a pallbearer at a funeral. Unless you wear suits out clubbing a lot, black is not essential. After charcoal and navy, look at getting a nice navy blazer or a patterned sportcoat and pairing it with a nice pair of wool trousers. Navy blazers are great for their versatility.

iiiivvvv

Reaction score
So did you keep the first one? I recently had pants hemmed, waist taken in (jacket), waist taken in (pants) crotch let out, sleeves adjusted, and something (I can't remember exactly what) to the collar, and the price came to over $80. So $105 doesn't sound too far off. I would disagree with you tailor that your third suit should be black. I rarely ever wear my black suit. The first time I dusted it off in years was recently as a pallbearer at a funeral. Unless you wear suits out clubbing a lot, black is not essential. After charcoal and navy, look at getting a nice navy blazer or a patterned sportcoat and pairing it with a nice pair of wool trousers. Navy blazers are great for their versatility.

Yea, I did keep the first set and returned jacket two. I liked jacket too also but I couldn't find a store with the same color bottom. The tailor also said I should return it so I can use that money for a navy set b/c the colors were too similar.

Sounds like our tailor price was in the same ballpark. So that's good. Besides zara and h&m, where would I be able to find a decent blazer for 100-150? I'm guessing I can wear these with jeans, trousers, khaki, right?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people keep on putting their hand in their pocket for fit pics?!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to accurately guage fit when you're holding one arm in the air to take the picture. Surely every camera-phone has some sort of timer functionality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads